1893 School Hunt #2

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had about a five hour hunt today at the old school site and the ground gave up some more history.

Top left to right: The third ink well lid and some kind of smaller flip lid to something.
Left: couple shot shell bases third one soaking to try to identify.
Center Left: 32 cal. pulled bullet with partial case on slug, 32 cal. case (pieces not found together), brass rivits
Center Right: Metal cuff button, Military cuff button, glass inlaid pin (center destroyed)
Right: Toasted 1893 IH, 1930 Wheat, 1915 Buffalo

This guys another first for me and seems to be in pretty good shape.

I can't read the whole backmark due to the loop bent down and don't want to mess with it. What I can see is D E V (loop) & Co.- Bottom has N.A. A quick search found Devlin & Co. of NY made buttons around 1860. The N.A. is a bit confusing since this should not be an abbreviation for New York. This button appears to be newer or in damn good shape. I'm guessing early 1900"s from the front eagle design.

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Re: One for ya - reply

congrats. Nice to see you're getting some coins and age-indicator items there.

dougofpa

Banned
May 18, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett ACE 250, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds man.....be sure to grid that entire area...North - South....East - West......dig all those iffy signals as well.

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunter, don't discount your button just yet. Put it in the "what is it" forum or go online and look up eagle or military buttons.
Military 2-piece buttons had the brass back while civilian buttons generally had an iron/steel back. It may be a high end blazer button but definatly a nice find.

Doug gave some important advice, trash (especially iron), can completely mask a target from one direction yet be detected when approached from a different angle.
I had a set-up of rusty cut nails surrounding a dime on cardboard for testing. The dime was only detectable from one direction. That left the target virtually undetectable unless approached from the perfect angle.

You have an area to hunt that is the envy of many here including myself. Best wishes for success and gaining continued access.

OP
OP
hunter_46356

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ism You are oh so right as far as masked targets. I have learned from situations where I could not get a good repeatable signal on targets but couldn't walk away cause they sounded so good. Dug them and they did turn out to be good finds. So that naturally means if that target was not approached from the right direction you would never know. This situation never manifested itself with the Bounty Hunter 505 (that I know of) but when I started working with the AT Pro it was evident something was there. The iron audio feature is a definite advantage in this situation. I have a window here on this field due to it being planted soon. Weather has held off the farmers at this point. I have gained respect and interest of the owner and believe this will be a place I can return to year after year. Working the ground and natures ways may keep the finds coming.
As far as the button, I did post it in "What is This" and got a solid confirmation from Cannonballguy. Narrowed it down to manufacturer, Army Button and early 1900's. The knowledge base here is amazing.

PhilBarnett

Oct 6, 2012
Englewood
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Fisher Gold Bug, Garretts ACE-350 and Garrett's pinpointer pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All nice finds. How do you like the At Pro?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions