Newbee wants to know

B

born2md

I see all of your post and the great things you'all find in plowed fields. I have a question, are these fields where at one time homes or towns were located or just plain plowed fields. The reason I ask is here in Georgia most plowed fields have always been plowed fields. Infact, it is more likely that a home or town takes over a field and not the opposite. I know it may seem like a dumb question but if all that stuffs falling out of farmers pockets, I'm heading to the fields. A plowed field has to be easier to work then going up and down hills and through the woods fighting the underbrush and briers

Upvote 0

dave-enc

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Eastern North Carolina
look for trees that are out of place, example a couple of rows of trees out in middle of field could be indicative of old house standing there, also old out buildings that are falling down where there was one ther used to be more. Another possible thing to do go and talk to some of the older folks they will likely have storys of growing up and where things used to stand in the fields. Keep hitting it and success will come
hh
dave+bobbie

donnydave

Greenie
Jan 12, 2007
Jeffro said:
I don't know where you're at born2md, but if its anywhere near a civil war skirmish, there's all the reason you need to detect plowed fields. Especially around the treelines, if there are any. Research battlesites in your area if this is the case.

Another idea that hasn't been bought up yet is a lot of these farmers way back when had produce stands,Could be loads of dropped change along the fringe of the driveway on these old farms. Or took their produce to the farmers market, kinda like a flea market for farmers. We have one here in Eugene that is still going on since the early days of this town.

Good luck!
Before modern farm equipment was introduced casual labour was paid for collecting produce ie: potatoes,peas etc a cart with a weighing scale was situated at the edge of the field, and coins are often found from that era on the paying out spot.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Heheheh! We still do that here, one of my first jobs was picking strawberries in the summer.... I think I ate more than I picked, tho- didn't make much and they probably did pay me in change.... ;)

red

Feb 17, 2005
Lexington, Texas
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ70, Garrett 500
doyboy said:
I usually compare old atlas maps to aerial photos. This will usually do the job.

Howdy Born2md
The overlaying of maps is one of the best ways to pin point them old town and communities and also the 1 room schoolhouses that were just out in the middle of nowhere you will be surprised as to how many of them dotted the country side Within 15min. from my front door I can be at 15 different school sites where the building are no longer visible. Many of the old schools stood near Churches.
I use a 1927 15 minute Topographic map and overlay it with a new topo map it work great and you will be amazed at how roads have changed and the topo maps also show where structures stood. You will see dots marking houses and other buildings around them. And a lot of the time they are in plowed fields and in wooded areas that you would never guessed was once where a store, blacksmith shop, and even a post office once stood. Check with your county Historical Society and Find the nearest place to go to a Map Archives.
Another thing about hunting them open fields is if there was ever an Indian camp there then you will definitely need to use your detector. Just think of how many hundreds of years the English, Spanish, French and others traded with them. I have found lots of interesting things made of copper and brass in them open fields and while detecting you can also arrowhead hunt. ;)
These old tows and home sites are my specialty and have consisted of 99% of my hunting for the past 30 years.
I hope some of this helps and gives you a little incuragment to give them open fields another look in a new light.
HH
red

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
born......Look for old trees close to the fields...think about the farmer behind his mule..lots of walking and sweating...too far to walk back to the house for a rest..the old shade tree comes in handy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions