Newbee wants to know

B

born2md

I see all of your post and the great things you'all find in plowed fields. I have a question, are these fields where at one time homes or towns were located or just plain plowed fields. The reason I ask is here in Georgia most plowed fields have always been plowed fields. Infact, it is more likely that a home or town takes over a field and not the opposite. I know it may seem like a dumb question but if all that stuffs falling out of farmers pockets, I'm heading to the fields. A plowed field has to be easier to work then going up and down hills and through the woods fighting the underbrush and briers

Upvote 0

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It depends on what part of the country you're in or even what country for that matter!

Most of the stuff you see here from "plowed fields" is from guys detecting over-seas with some being here in the USA - mostly in the NE part of the country where the colonies were formed though.

I know here in Michigan if you detect in "plowed fields" - your chances of finding anything at all is slim at best - you can walk miles and miles of fields here and not even get one signal on the detector.

That being said - there are cases where farmers/etc. have lost money and other valuables in fields over time that have never been recovered. Research is the key to finding who & where.

HH

OP
OP
B

born2md

Thanks Lonewolfe, thats what I was afraid of. Darn I was hoping I could get out of the woods and in to the fields.

donnydave

Greenie
Jan 12, 2007
Hi Newbee, UK,s the place to detect ploughed fields, with the farmers permission. You find coins and artefact's going back thousands of years Bronze age, Iron age, Roman and British detectorists favourite finds, medieval gold and silver, my best find has been a Scottish silver hammered coin from a field near Doncaster where I live, I think you guys would have a field day over here (pardon the pun) cos them American made detectors are just brilliant? Dodgydave from Donny.

OP
OP
B

born2md

Hey Dodgydave,

You bet I would like to MD your fields and as that old country song goes, IF YOU GOT THE MONEY HONEY, I GOT THE TIME.

davesx, what part of the country are you in???

99Brown

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2006
Illinois
I only hit plowed fields here in the midwest, when I know for certain an old structure once sat there. Other than that, I am like Lone and you could walk for hours/miles with no beep in the old headphones. Good luck

99Brown

OP
OP
B

born2md

99brown, I thought maybe that would be the case. I'm really not sure on how to go about finding fields that had been home sites previously.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dodgydave said:
Hi Newbee, UK,s the place to detect ploughed fields, with the farmers permission. You find coins and artefact's going back thousands of years Bronze age, Iron age, Roman and British detectorists favourite finds, medieval gold and silver, my best find has been a Scottish silver hammered coin from a field near Doncaster where I live, I think you guys would have a field day over here (pardon the pun) cos them American made detectors are just brilliant? Dodgydave from Donny.
Dave have you posted any pic's of your coins yet tk.

D

dugupfinds

I only do ploughed in the harvest, set-a-side in winter & when in trouble pasture.

OP
OP
B

born2md

TK, Been out about a dozen times and the only coins I have found have been clad($1.29) except for one 1935 nickle. One of my grandkids did a number on my camera and I have not replaced it yet. As soon as I replace it I have a lot of junk, a few bullets and assorted other treasures I"m dying to post. I know you folks will appreciate my stuff, my wife thinks it's funny. She tells all our friends about my $800.00 detector I use to find twenty cents worth of scrap metal.(she really knows how to hurt a guy)

I'm heading out in a few min. to detect some CW earth works I have located. Will post my finds later today.

comfyinvermont

Bronze Member
Feb 8, 2004
Vermont
Hey Born2 MD I love fields, plowed or not. Living up here in Vermont, people have been in these fields for 200 years. Not only do people lose things in fields, they also would burn things, including old clothing and other items that were trash at one time. Sometimes those old clothes had a coin left in them. Sometimes they had very interesting buttons on them. The only way you will really know about a field is to detect it. What if that field never had a house on it, but Lee marched his troops across it. Never hurts to look. Good luck...Lance

D

dugupfinds

comfyinvermont said:
Hey Born2 MD I love fields, plowed or not. Living up here in Vermont, people have been in these fields for 200 years. Not only do people lose things in fields, they also would burn things, including old clothing and other items that were trash at one time. Sometimes those old clothes had a coin left in them. Sometimes they had very interesting buttons on them. The only way you will really know about a field is to detect it. What if that field never had a house on it, but Lee marched his troops across it. Never hurts to look. Good luck...Lance

Agreed, Most of my fields are not near houses but over the years people have dumped loads of stuff on them. In Victorian times the night soil man would collect people's waste & sell it to farmers. Sometimes stuff would be lost in the sh*t & transported to the field where I found it 150 years later.

OP
OP
B

born2md

I think tomorrow I'm going to find me a cotton field and detect it, just for the hell of it.
Hey davefx, OK you got old coins in Europe but here in the south we have something you don't have and thats GRITS.

I almost forgot, I didn't go to the earthworks today after all, decided to go to a park.
I found $.66 in clad and about a pound an a half of scrap iron. The day was perfect sunny and about 60 degrees, I had a great time. I had about 6 or 7 little kids following me around and I must have answered 100 questions which was also enjoyable.

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I'm doing the same thing. There is a cotton field near my house and I have NO earthly idea on how to find the owner. They just mowed it flat to the ground and they'll be planting it sometime in April I think.
Anybody know how to locate a land owner of such a field??

Thanks,
Moon

oldcoyote

Greenie
Dec 25, 2005
Locate the tract of land on a suitable map, then visit your County (Tax) Assessor's Office. Believe me, they know who owns EVERYTHING. :-\

OP
OP
B

born2md

hey moonshadow,

Lets post later today about our finds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread