Newbee wants to know
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    born2md

Newbee wants to know

I see all of your post and the great things you'all find in plowed fields. I have a question, are these fields where at one time homes or towns were located or just plain plowed fields. The reason I ask is here in Georgia most plowed fields have always been plowed fields. Infact, it is more likely that a home or town takes over a field and not the opposite. I know it may seem like a dumb question but if all that stuffs falling out of farmers pockets, I'm heading to the fields. A plowed field has to be easier to work then going up and down hills and through the woods fighting the underbrush and briers

us
    Feb 2005
    West Michigan
    A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
    583 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)

Re: Newbee wants to know

It depends on what part of the country you're in or even what country for that matter!

Most of the stuff you see here from "plowed fields" is from guys detecting over-seas with some being here in the USA - mostly in the NE part of the country where the colonies were formed though.

I know here in Michigan if you detect in "plowed fields" - your chances of finding anything at all is slim at best - you can walk miles and miles of fields here and not even get one signal on the detector.

That being said - there are cases where farmers/etc. have lost money and other valuables in fields over time that have never been recovered. Research is the key to finding who & where.

HH

born2md

Thanks Lonewolfe, thats what I was afraid of. Darn I was hoping I could get out of the woods and in to the fields.

Jan 2007
    1 times

Hi Newbee, UK,s the place to detect ploughed fields, with the farmers permission. You find coins and artefact's going back thousands of years Bronze age, Iron age, Roman and British detectorists favourite finds, medieval gold and silver, my best find has been a Scottish silver hammered coin from a field near Doncaster where I live, I think you guys would have a field day over here (pardon the pun) cos them American made detectors are just brilliant? Dodgydave from Donny.

gb
    Aug 2006
    essex, england
    25 times

Hi born2md.
    My MDing is done on farms ploughed,stubble, setaside,grass.
    and beaches.

HH dave.
    explorer and tesoro silver sabre   user

born2md

Hey Dodgydave,

You bet I would like to MD your fields and as that old country song goes, IF YOU GOT THE MONEY HONEY, I GOT THE TIME.

davesx, what part of the country are you in

Feb 2006
    Illinois
    13 times

I only hit plowed fields here in the midwest, when I know for certain an old structure once sat there. Other than that, I am like Lone and you could walk for hours/miles with no beep in the old headphones. Good luck

99Brown

born2md

99brown, I thought maybe that would be the case. I'm really not sure on how to go about finding fields that had been home sites previously.

us
    Ace250man

Jul 2004
    Shelbyville or any yard where the owner will let me detect!
    ace 250
    202 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)

the finds we find in fields are normally where people have walked through the fields long ago...
    ALLEN

gb
    Aug 2006
    essex, england
    25 times

born2md.

<<<<<essex.
    on the east coast.

dave.
    explorer and tesoro silver sabre&nbsp;&nbsp; user

Quote Originally Posted by dodgydave
    Hi Newbee, UK,s the place to detect ploughed fields, with the farmers permission. You find coins and artefact's going back thousands of years Bronze age, Iron age, Roman and British detectorists favourite finds, medieval gold and silver, my best find has been a Scottish silver hammered coin from a field near Doncaster where I live, I think you guys would have a field day over here (pardon the pun) cos them American made detectors are just brilliant? Dodgydave from Donny.
    Dave have you posted any pic's of your coins yet tk.
    Don't piss down my back, then tell me it's raining.

dugupfinds

I only do ploughed in the harvest, set-a-side in winter & when in trouble pasture.

born2md

TK, Been out about a dozen times and the only coins I have found have been clad($1.29) except for one 1935 nickle. One of my grandkids did a number on my camera and I have not replaced it yet. As soon as I replace it I have a lot of junk, a few bullets and assorted other treasures I"m dying to post. I know you folks will appreciate my stuff, my wife thinks it's funny. She tells all our friends about my $800.00 detector I use to find twenty cents worth of scrap metal.(she really knows how to hurt a guy)

I'm heading out in a few min. to detect some CW earth works I have located. Will post my finds later today.

gb
    Aug 2006
    essex, england
    25 times

tk.
    No, I have not found any coins lately.
    But I have found a few hammered in the past.
    And one gold half soveriegn.

dave.
    explorer and tesoro silver sabre&nbsp;&nbsp; user

Hey Born2 MD I love fields, plowed or not. Living up here in Vermont, people have been in these fields for 200 years. Not only do people lose things in fields, they also would burn things, including old clothing and other items that were trash at one time. Sometimes those old clothes had a coin left in them. Sometimes they had very interesting buttons on them. The only way you will really know about a field is to detect it. What if that field never had a house on it, but Lee marched his troops across it. Never hurts to look. Good luck...Lance

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links