Looking into getting Bounty Hunter QSIGWP Quick Silver Metal Detector with Pin Pointe

bragg765

Apr 11, 2013
Fairmont, West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Treasure Hunter VLF, Teknetics Alpha 2000, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am new to all of this only had my current MD for about two weeks or so now, but I came across the Bounty Hunter QSIGWP Quick Silver Metal Detector with Pin Pointer for a little under one hundred dollars. My thing is that I got my first MD (a Bounty Hunter VLF Treasure Hunter for 45.00) and it is ok. No doubt I have dug a lot of trash and it is not that accurate as to where the target is but I have read that you dig trash with all MD. I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about the Quick Silver and if so would it be worth my time or should I look into something else. I am not really wanting to spend over 150.00 I know I am cheap lol.

Upvote 0

killerclown

Mar 24, 2013
Amelia Island Fl
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
With $150.cap it gets a bit tough, I found my Garrett ace 250 for $160 in the box. You can find them you just have to look hard, amazon eBay, Craigslist are all good places to search. I found mine on amazon and I love the 250. My next one ( when I can afford) will be the at pro. Good luck with your hobby. And welcome to the site. Lots of good info on here no matter what you choose.

OP
OP
B

bragg765

Apr 11, 2013
Fairmont, West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah that 150.00 cap was killing me. I ended up getting the Teknetics Alpha 2000. It will be here tomorrow so I will be taking it out on it's maiden voyage then.

justin519

Greenie
Apr 22, 2013
elmira
Detector(s) used
f-2 fisher,bounty hunter quickdraw
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
yah i use a bounty hunter quicksilver and it's alright to start but i would go with the garret or even a fisher f2,u could probly get a fisher f2 for like 190,trsut me spend the little extra,it goes along way,plus the pin pointer sucks really bad from bountyhunter,i sold it for 5 bucks lol....

OP
OP
B

bragg765

Apr 11, 2013
Fairmont, West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I went ahead and spent the little extra..... I started off with a Bounty Hunter treasure detector and it was enough to get me hooked but needed more. I am really hoping that the one that I am getting tomorrow will be a lot better.

bevo

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
eastern wa
Detector(s) used
minelab eureka,fisher f2,ace 150,fisher gold tick,whites coin classic II
Good that you passed on the QS, that is the most frustrating unit I have ever owned or used. I only owned it for a week.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I owned my Bounty Hunter 202 and still do for years before I bought a upgrade. Trust me when I say, hold onto to your clad it adds up. Your going to want a mid range tesero, Garret, fisher.....ect. If you don't see your self buying a minelab or $1000.00 dollar machine. Then spend time on Kellyco comparing detectors and prices. Once I made my mind up to buy the next level detector, I did it rather quickly. You also may want to get a pricy but effective Garret Propointer. There is plenty of machines out there for $600.00 dollars or less. Even better if you buy used, but know your seller. I would stay away from ebay. To answer your question, if you think the quick silver will increase your finds, then yes get it. But I don't have the two machines to compare them. If your able to dig a coin at 5" inches, then your detector can already go as deep as most machines. Believe me, those 10" inch targets usually turn out to be cans. I was always wanting more when I had my Bounty Hunter, you just read some of the post on here and think, "I want to do that". My new machine performs better than I expected, but the reality of it is, you are going to have to spend some real cash for the results some of us get. I have already seen some brand name detectors, slightly used, trying to be sold for $100.00 dollar less than what was paid for them. I figure buy the end of the summer you will see some really good discounted machines, gives you enough time to save up some cash. Good Luck, be sure to post pics.

OP
OP
B

bragg765

Apr 11, 2013
Fairmont, West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am glad that I did also. It took me several hours of thinking over it to pass it up though. I can't help it I love cheap prices, but I had to come to terms that cheap prices in this area are not all that good.

OP
OP
B

bragg765

Apr 11, 2013
Fairmont, West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the advice Casca, I will keep my eyes open toward the end of the summer for an upgrade. I am going to hang on to my BH for a back up and focus on using the Teknetic over the summer, it seemed to have good reviews everywhere that I looked at it plus it was only 200.00 a little past what I was wanting to pay but I liked the features that it had. And I seen what you mean about paying out a little for getting really good results. I was a little taken back by the prices of some of the units that are out there, but all they did was make me want to find more to justify buying them later lol. Oh, and I will be sure to post pics when I find something other than clad, may take a while though lol I am still researching the areas around where I live.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bragg: I cannot afford going cheap as it is too expensive.
Think of the coins lost, and time waisted with equipment not up to par.
Also, cheap items have little if they have any resale value.

You don't have to buy the most expensive equipment either.
What is important is that the detector is suitable for where you are hunting and trying to find.

For instance most entry level VLF detectors work well in dry sand at fresh and salt water beaches.
They also work well in tot lots and parks. You can pick up a new scratch and dent Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505 for $200 plus shipping.
I have one, and am very satisified with it as long as I hunt on land or dry sand at the beach.

If you want to hunt on wet sand at salt water beaches , you will need need a multifrequency VLF detector or a Pulse Induction Detector (PI)
PIs are cheaper and detect deeper, but you will spend more time digging as they do not discriminate.

If you get into shallow water hunting/diving you will need a rugged water proof multifreq VLF/PI

Both of my detectors (one entry level, other high end) have paid for themselves from finds in one year.
I am money ahead on the high end detector as I have found more (being able to hunt dry sand, wet sand, and shallow water) plus
it has a high resale value. Where the entry level detector is used by guest(s) and is a back up with less capability, and is harder to sell if necessary.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bragg765

Apr 11, 2013
Fairmont, West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I am happy to say that the Teknetics Alpha 2000 came today and I could not be happier. I know that there are better machines out there but for the 200.00 that I spent on it I could not ask for more. I have not had the chance to take it out for a proper spin, but just the little bit that I have done with it definitely brought a smile to my face. I took it to a buddy of mine's house that I had hit with the BH Treasure Hunter and was able to find a few more hits under the dirt that I had not picked up on before. I unfortunately did not have the time to dig on the hits but they were strong and per the identifier were not just iron or tabs. I had three hits that were showing a dime or better at about eight inches down I will definitely be going back after the weekend to dig. I will post after digging on what the finds were.

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well I am happy to say that the Teknetics Alpha 2000 came today and I could not be happier. I know that there are better machines out there but for the 200.00 that I spent on it I could not ask for more. I have not had the chance to take it out for a proper spin, but just the little bit that I have done with it definitely brought a smile to my face. I took it to a buddy of mine's house that I had hit with the BH Treasure Hunter and was able to find a few more hits under the dirt that I had not picked up on before. I unfortunately did not have the time to dig on the hits but they were strong and per the identifier were not just iron or tabs. I had three hits that were showing a dime or better at about eight inches down I will definitely be going back after the weekend to dig. I will post after digging on what the finds were.

I just ordered one myself. Should be here Monday. Have you had a chance to use it? If so, are you happy with it?

OP
OP
B

bragg765

Apr 11, 2013
Fairmont, West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had the chance to take it out a few times and I am sold on it. I have found a pendant in a spot I had already hit before with my BH along with several clad coins in the same spot. It weighs so little compared to my other one. Now I have only had the BH to compare it with, so I don't know if that has anything to do with my opinion lol. But I think you will be happy with it.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The T2 is a very good machine as my buddy jeff hunts with it. He pulls a lot of relics out the city park my F75 passes over. You want bang for your buck, I would suggest the T2. The T2 may be deeper on some things than my fisher. I also have seen the Whites MXT in action, it does really well also.

EasyriderTX

Apr 4, 2013
DFW area
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been real happy with my first machine, a Teknetics Delta 4000. It's light and the large screen is what I needed.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread