Is it just me?

G

geatley

Nah! Some people just don't have anything better to do. At least we have a hobby that takes us in many directions..Coin, History, Bottles and the like.
I think I have learned more about my adopted State (Louisiana)since I took up metal detecting than I had in the last 24 years. I usually hunt early in the morning when the public places are less full. Yes I get the silly question from time to time "Watcha doin?" But I take it gracefully and
reply with "Metal detecting". That satifies most.
To the find anything? I usually have some pull tabs and a few pennies in my pouch to exhibit. At that they usally wander off. When they ask the smart questions like, How does that work? Where do you hunt? Does it cost a lot? I lean on my stick and chat for awhile, perhaps to a future Md'er.
Funny thing is that many of them have good suggestions where to hunt and who to contact. So keep your chin up and when word gets around about that great find, they all stop laughing.
Have a great MDing day!

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I hunt with headphones on and avoid most questions. I'm helping clean my environment and taking home booty nobody around me sees, and that's just fine.

If they think I'm silly, or boring, or stupid, it is obvious to me they aren't thinking very hard. I'm not rooting through garbage cans (which can also be profitable--especially in Southern California) and I'm not causing trouble. I'm bored with TV and don't go in much for social events. Actually, one of the things I like about hunting is I don't have to answer to anyone. If they heckle me I just move on in my own direction at my own pace.

One time I was finding pennies and pull tabs, and some teens started harrassing me, asking if I had found gold, and digging with their hands and saying "nope, no gold here", over and over. I ignored them completely and when they turned their backs I dug up a huge crucifix on a nice silver chain. Boy, am I glad they didn't see it!

No matter where you go, people generally have the same types of thinking patterns, and rejecting detectorists is somewhat ubiquitous. Those people I ignore, but not everyone feels that way.

Another time I saw a kid looking at my detector, and from a hundred yards away he just shouted "I WANT one of those!" Smart kid!

Doug-Iowa

Mar 31, 2003
Ottumwa, Iowa USA
LOve the Gopher bit. :) I actullay had a dog on a leash come up and lick my face while digging a hole. I don't hear anything but the beep when I am hunting. I am just focused on the hunt. I believe it is the escape after putting on the headphones I enjoy even more then finding treasures. Gotta love this hobby. :)

Doug-Iowa

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Hey Dbeard, if there ain't much md'ing going on, then you're in bonus territory. But I'll bet there have been twenty md'ers in close proximity to almost anyplace you hunt in Indiana. If know much about the early history of settlement through Indiana and the Blackhawk war, then you are aware of the fate of so many of the first generation pioneers. Remember the British had a bounty on the scalps of any "American" that was trying to move through the area until they were expelled. You know the Nates back then had no use for coinage so they would butcher the party then toss the coins to the trail sides where so many still rest today. A lot of other md'ers are aware of this history and are hunting those old trails. Think about that the next time some teenager drives by and yells "Hey, you found my lighter yet?"

I once had a girl ask me what I was doing while I was hunting the curb work outside her house. I told her that the nearby watch factory had used irradiated paint on the watch faces 100 years ago and I was measuring the rate of decay from the radiation leakage in the contaminated soil. She promptly called her kids in and told them they could no longer play in the yard. Her stoned husband came out and verified the story with me and said they would be moving very shortly after learning of this.

OP
OP
D

Dbeard77

Sep 18, 2003
Indiana
Some of the questions I was referring to were:
1. Can you find fishing worms with that?
2. Have you ever found a dead person?
3. Are you so poor that you have to dig up pennies?
4. Are you finding anything with that geiger counter?

Thanks for all your replies. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one.

GET A JOB YOU BUM! HA HA HA. They've yelled this a few times before. Quite often someone laughs or makes a comment but they get real quiet when I respond back, surprised I could hear them. It all boils down to Jealousy and ignorance.
As for the million questions I've been asked, my wife suggested that I charge each person $1 to ask questions. It's a good idea because these people are really wasting my time and they think I owe them an answer.
Some days have been so bad that I start replying "NO SPEAK ENGLISH"
Imagine if I was to repond back with an equivalent question-
PER: "How much did you find?" ME: "How much is your wage per hour?"
PER: "How much did you pay for that?" ME: "How much did you pay for that shirt your wearing?"
I'm sure everyone has had their share of weird questions too. Like:
"Does that thing find glass?" ... "Are cutting the grass?"..."Are you working for someone? Do you get to keep what you find?" I'm sure you get the picture. Any strange questions? It's been fun!
Dave.

Spirit

Jun 12, 2003
Philly
I had one lady ask me if it could find a shoe at rehobeth, seems her kid thought he could get more time at the beach by burrying everyone's shoes, and they had found all but one. Unfortunatly no metal eylets or anything.

Chiz

Mar 26, 2003
New Jersey....
I've had a bunch of people thow quarter's and stuff in front of me or my partner because they felt bad. One of the biggest questions I get asked, besides where can they pick up a detector, is "Are you really that desperate for money that you have to metal detect to get coins?". Most of the people think we do it for the change. I just point out that between the 2 of us there is almost $2000 worth of equipment then will demonstrate for them as to how it works and what could be found. Then of course the "where do I get one" question, LOL.... Keep trucking!!!

I love the Gopher one, the possibilities..... Sell that idea to the Gov!!!

Chiz
8)

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Malak: Nah-- I wouldn't show it to them 'cause then they'd not only steal the crucifix, they would have stolen my detector...

I'm careful who I show what to after hearing stories of how some in my club have taken their jewelry to swap meets to sell it, and someone had followed them home and broke in later when they weren't there. I'd rather have those types think my detector doesn't work rather than prove to them how well it does-- and get stung.

I remember years ago one of the "Revenge of the nerds" movies had a part where the geeks were metal detecting, labeling detectorists as nerds.
I don't know about you, but man I'm totally GQ! All those bikini's on the beaches that come up to me and talk and..... Oh oh my wifes coming
Gotto go!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread