Relic Mag 6 dusted off & back in action!!...& NO idea how to use properly!

synacl1000

Greenie
Apr 27, 2013
Central Missouri
Detector(s) used
Relic Magnum 6
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello! I am a haippily married father of six who has recently taken up metal detecting. My dad passed in 2011 & left me his Relic Mag 6 along with a 6" & 10 " coil. He loved the ol' green machine & used it for all it was worth. I remember sifting through coffee cans of his "Treasures" when I was young, & always excited to see what he might bring home next. I am now the proud holder of this rig & need all the advice I can get. I remember dad saying "If a man knows his machine you can almost here it talk to you." I guess there was a difference in tones from a beer tab to a coin etc. I recently re-issued the Relic into the field as I discovered a site with Civil War History & documents to verify to such.
Today I had only a short time but covered a bit of ground. I turned up some nails & my brother two contorted iron fragments. I adjusted the ground tuning & tuning knobs a little past half & got a hit. I never recovered that find as I ended up 13" deep & still hadn't reached it. First day on new ground I didn't want to ruin my welcome so filled the hole for now...I was using the 6" coil. My relic has a ground tune, tune, volume,& discriminate knob. One toggle switch that toggels from standard to discriminate. It is powered by three batterie clips containing 4 AA's. My next post will contain some questions & any advice, info, & help in general I assure you is very much appreciated.
I guess I need to set it to detect iron,silver,lead etc? How would I adjust for these metals & would I be better off using the larg disc or the small? The 6" is what I remember dad using mainly. Would I want to discriminate anything in an area with this history? I read somewhere that what goes into the ground works it's way back to the surface over a number of years, would I want to detect more towards the surface or deeper down? If hunting for jewlery, how would I set it for to pick up gold? I found a manuel online & got what I could out of it, but I feel I can learn quicker through expereinced group & personal feedback.Thank you again for any & all advice in advance. I have literally just begun what I feel is something I will do till I die. I only hope the green machine will make it to see it's self in my sons hands.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread