Pro pointer knock off?

Jimmi

Apr 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm wasting alot of time digging around searching for my targets. I want to get a pro pointer to cut down on waste time and to keep my plugs neater. But I really don't feel like putting out another $130 ...I just bought my detector not all that long ago. Is there any knock off version that is cheaper and works decent?

Upvote 0

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I had the Centec, and the Bullseye and the Automax before I got the Propointer. So I did a head to head test of all four using nails in the studs of my thick plaster walls as the target. The Propointer was the only one of the four that could find the stud. In fact, after it found the exact spot where a nail was and I marked it, the other three didnt even sound when they were place on the marked spot. That was four years ago, never an issue with the Propointer and its still going strong. As to the battery in it, I use alkaline and it lasts nearly the whole summer of hunting.

Hay Susan that's great if you are looking for nails! So what you are saying is only your pro pointer will pick up a nail at 1/2 ". Well I hate to disagree with you, but the test video on T Net does not agree with your findings. Just out of curiosity, why did you buy all those different pinpointers? I am sitting here holding a Cen Tec pinpointer 1" from a 8d nail and it is sounding off!!!! Appears your "test" is flawed . Frank...

111-1 profilecracked.jpg

JUNKER

Apr 7, 2012
SW FL,Copper Hill VA,Temple ME
Detector(s) used
XLT GrandmastercxIII Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you don't have the money I would start with the HF one to start with it better than nothing and it will help you speed up your recovery faster besides it not that much money it get you started then just save up for a good one. HH

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frank, nope the test wasn't flawed. Had four pinpointers because three of them were useless.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Frank, nope the test wasn't flawed. Had four pinpointers because three of them were useless.

I think, that just perhaps, the standards were flawed. Why don't you look up the real test Here on T Net that uses real coins as standards.
Oh the Cen Tec has a sensitivity control knob that the pro doesn't have. I turned it up and I can pick up the nail at over 2" .
You said that 3 of your pinpointers are useless. Perhaps your results would have been different if the 3 had worked properly.

By the way, if you have Sheetrock on your walls, they are held on with screws that are only app. 1/16" below the surface of the wall. Frank...

111-1 profilecracked.jpg

DetectorMike

Apr 4, 2013
Indiana, Martinsville/Columbus
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like someone has their panties in a bunch and its not the person asking about pin pointers, lol dude it's not that big of a deal so what we like the Garrett Pro Pointer over the cheap HF one and all i can tell is that your a whiny little baby and cry every time someone disagrees with you or has different results than you. I love my Garrett Pro Pointer like I said It can adjust the sensitivity so it only sounds off when it's right before the target. It's rugged enough where your not gonna break it and it is waterproof up the speaker port or totally waterproof with just minor customizations. I got mine from KellyCo and I got for $117 with free shipping with a $10 dollar coupon and I got that coupon by registering with KellyCo and they sent me a email saying thank you and come back and take10 off your next purchase so I went and purchased the pin pointer and they sent me a $5 off coupon with my Pro Pointer and I used that for the Ace Rain and Dust Cover and got that for less than it was listed including shipping. Oh and they sent another $5 off coupon with the rain cover

Last edited:

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you don't have the money I would start with the HF one to start with it better than nothing and it will help you speed up your recovery faster besides it not that much money it get you started then just save up for a good one. HH

Why would u waste ur money on the HF one when u can get the bouny hunter one for like 30-40 bucks. I mean its not no garrett but ot works good enough for now.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first comment is that sheet rock is both screwed and nailed depending on the installer. Second is that these pin pointer threads should probably state that HF comments need not apply unless requested by the poster. I either own or have owned and used extensively all current pin pointers that are currently available. All perform and will accomplish the mission if given enough time. The unmentioned unit referred by initials only is by far the worst of the lot. Those that sell for the price that is around $120 and up have performed very well and do it with out needed modification. I love the good information threads but when they get clogged up with a lot of mess it spoiled a lot of good effort being made by positive posters.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
My first comment is that sheet rock is both screwed and nailed depending on the installer. Second is that these pin pointer threads should probably state that HF comments need not apply unless requested by the poster. I either own or have owned and used extensively all current pin pointers that are currently available. All perform and will accomplish the mission if given enough time. The unmentioned unit referred by initials only is by far the worst of the lot. Those that sell for the price that is around $120 and up have performed very well and do it with out needed modification. I love the good information threads but when they get clogged up with a lot of mess it spoiled a lot of good effort being made by positive posters.

Well, I have worked in the construction trade on and off since the 60's and I have installed sheetrock In the Baltimore area. I have not seen nails used around for over 15 years.
Well your second comment seams to be that Garrett does not like comparison.
Well let's see, I have gotten 2 years out of my $16 Cen Tec so far, and it has found every target with no problem. What more could a reasonable person ask for? Frank... PS, by the way how did the mine lab pointer do?

oil tags 700-.jpg

Attachments

• 111-1 profileblk.jpg
    111-1 profileblk.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 94

artemis moon

Jun 1, 2007
Near Bangor, Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Susan,

I wanted to make an alternative suggestion. I've been using the same pinpointer for the past six years..the Vibraprobe. I bought it used and it's still going strong. The things I like best about this is pinpointer is that there are no switches whatsoever. To turn it on, you simply point it up in the air. After 1 minute of inactivity, it shuts itself off. It's waterproof and even floats. It is comparable in price to the ProPointer. I can't say enough about this device, since I'm pretty sloppy when I hunt and get mud everywhere, I'm not sure that any other pinpointer would stand up to my abuse. Yesterday the cap on my Vibraprobe broke off and cannot be glued back on. I had to use a pair of pliers to change the battery. I guess it's time to replace it, and I'm pretty sure that I'm going to get another one, even though I've heard good things about the ProPointer. Is there anyone that has used both and could do a comparison?

rpl782002

Greenie
May 2, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was in the same dilemma. Didn't want to spend the extra money on a pointer, and very seriously considered one of the cheaper $20 pointers. I did go with the Garrett pro pointer and have not regretted it once. My recover time is pretty much just a min or two. Many times less. Most of the time I dig through the dirt with the pointer itself and that is super quick to find a coin. It's that durable of a unit as long as the soil isn't too hard.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Hi Susan,

I wanted to make an alternative suggestion. I've been using the same pinpointer for the past six years..the Vibraprobe. I bought it used and it's still going strong. The things I like best about this is pinpointer is that there are no switches whatsoever. To turn it on, you simply point it up in the air. After 1 minute of inactivity, it shuts itself off. It's waterproof and even floats. It is comparable in price to the ProPointer. I can't say enough about this device, since I'm pretty sloppy when I hunt and get mud everywhere, I'm not sure that any other pinpointer would stand up to my abuse. Yesterday the cap on my Vibraprobe broke off and cannot be glued back on. I had to use a pair of pliers to change the battery. I guess it's time to replace it, and I'm pretty sure that I'm going to get another one, even though I've heard good things about the ProPointer. Is there anyone that has used both and could do a comparison?
I think you have the best pinpointer out there. I have never heard of one breaking before. I bet they will replace it. I have and use the vibra tector which is like yours except it has an app. 4" coil on the end. it is close to the same length. It has a 6" search reach. I mostly use it to search walls in old buildings. It is waterproof, actually made for diving like yours. If you don't want your broken one ,or they won't replace it, I will buy it at a fair price. Just pm me . Frank...

pink flower.jpg

Last edited:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Sounds like someone has their panties in a bunch and its not the person asking about pin pointers, lol dude it's not that big of a deal so what we like the Garrett Pro Pointer over the cheap HF one and all i can tell is that your a whiny little baby and cry every time someone disagrees with you or has different results than you. I love my Garrett Pro Pointer like I said It can adjust the sensitivity so it only sounds off when it's right before the target. It's rugged enough where your not gonna break it and it is waterproof up the speaker port or totally waterproof with just minor customizations. I got mine from KellyCo and I got for $117 with free shipping with a $10 dollar coupon and I got that coupon by registering with KellyCo and they sent me a email saying thank you and come back and take10 off your next purchase so I went and purchased the pin pointer and they sent me a $5 off coupon with my Pro Pointer and I used that for the Ace Rain and Dust Cover and got that for less than it was listed including shipping. Oh and they sent another $5 off coupon with the rain cover

Well lets look at your post. Panties in a bunch, your a whiny little baby and cry each time someone disagrees. You post like you are about 16 years of inmaturiy! Do you derive pleasure by insulting other posters. You are suppose to present facts not make a vain attempt at insulting others.
I,ll try to clue you in. They 'give' you those coupons to suck you into sending them more money. Looks like it worked for them.
The facts boy, the facts! Have a good day mike and please grow up. Frank...

111-2 700.jpg

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Why would u waste ur money on the HF one when u can get the bouny hunter one for like 30-40 bucks. I mean its not no garrett but ot works good enough for now.

I think the answer is the BH cost $14-$24 more and does the same thing as the HF. Frank...

I love these pinpointer posts, there is so much bull floating around. It is like a bull chip tossing contest. LOL Frank...

Bull.jpg

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
I think the answer is the BH cost $14-$24 more and does the same thing as the HF. Frank...

I love these pinpointer posts, there is so much bull floating around. It is like a bull chip tossing contest. LOL Frank...

View attachment 789472

And, YES! Frank wins the contest, HF down! Garrett propointer is the way to go.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
And, YES! Frank wins the contest, HF down! Garrett propointer is the way to go.

Hay thanks for that ammo! I think you mean the same way as the bull is going. LOL,LOL Frank... You do realise this is all in just, don't you!

111-2 700.jpg

artemis moon

Jun 1, 2007
Near Bangor, Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think you have the best pinpointer out there. I have never heard of one breaking before. I bet they will replace it. I have and use the vibra tector which is like yours except it has an app. 4" coil on the end. it is close to the same length. It has a 6" search reach. I mostly use it to search walls in old buildings. It is waterproof, actually made for diving like yours. If you don't want your broken one ,or they won't replace it, I will buy it at a fair price. Just pm me . Frank...

View attachment 789456

Hi Frank- I went to the website Treasure Products, the company that makes the Vibra-Probe and it turns out that they sell the battery compartment seal for $12. I just e-mailed them to make sure that it will fit my older model before I buy it. It beats spending $130 for a new one, when the old one is still going strong! BTW - I noticed that there was a used on on E-Bay that was going for $49.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Hi Frank- I went to the website Treasure Products, the company that makes the Vibra-Probe and it turns out that they sell the battery compartment seal for $12. I just e-mailed them to make sure that it will fit my older model before I buy it. It beats spending $130 for a new one, when the old one is still going strong! BTW - I noticed that there was a used on on E-Bay that was going for $49.

Thanks for the info, I will check that out. Frank... Chube-blk-500.jpg

NJnuggetpirate

Bronze Member
Feb 14, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett PRO POINTER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just bought a pro pointer yesterday BUT its not for me it's a gift for my dad for Father's Day

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions