All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

bevo

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
eastern wa
Detector(s) used
minelab eureka,fisher f2,ace 150,fisher gold tick,whites coin classic II
Remember, if you are using a concentric coil that the detection field is shaped like a cone, which is smallest at its deepest. So once you get a signal, raise the coil a few inches at a time until it disappears. This will help with pinpointing and depth. The one flaw with this method is targets which are sitting at an angle. Hope this helps.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I owned three of the inexpensive ones. Bullseye, Centec, and automax and they were pretty much useless. Save up your clad til you can afford a Propointer.

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just bought one of the Harbor Freight versions. I think it's Cen Tech? Only $16.99. It works OK, better than nothing. I also have the Garrett Propointer, and it is much better. Better depth, it vibrates, and beeps more the closer you are to your target. Pinpointers in general really speed up the whole process. If you don't want to spend $130, give the Cent Tech a try.

bevo

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
eastern wa
Detector(s) used
minelab eureka,fisher f2,ace 150,fisher gold tick,whites coin classic II
If you lived across town,I would give you my fisher pinpointer. For real.

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As much as I dnt like bounty hunter I bought one of there pro pointers for 39.00 on amazon. Its not no garrett but it works for now.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i believe the harber fright are good in a pinch.
if you put them in a ZipLok bag or shrink rap to use them,
and handle the switch with kid gloves.

dirt and the switches going bad seem to be the main complaints

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jimmi

Jimmi

Apr 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i believe the harber fright are good in a pinch.
if you put them in a plastic bag or shrink rap to use them,
and handle the switch with kid gloves.

dirt and the switches going bad seem to be the main complaints

Thanks everybody. Dirt getting in the switches is the problem? Hmmm I tend to get everything muddy, so that's not good.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everybody. Dirt getting in the switches is the problem? Hmmm I tend to get everything muddy, so that's not good.

Yea Me too.
I'm not exactly patient enough to be Delicate with things either.
I never touch babies for this reason.
If they can be broken, I'd accidentally do it

OP
OP
Jimmi

Jimmi

Apr 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where I hunt usually each hole has multiple signals and or multiple Items . So my problem is getting a signal on the high end of my ace 250 , but I end up chasing after a nail buried 8 inches.. And somehow lose the signal for the thing I was after. Or the signal hops . Why is that? I get a solid signal on the high end .. Make my plug ... Then after I pull it, the signal hops over 5 inches.. Make a new plug .. And it hops again.. Lol I give up at that point.
If you get a good pro pointer, do you stick it in the ground before you even make a plug?

OP
OP
Jimmi

Jimmi

Apr 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea Me too.
I'm not exactly patient enough to be Delicate with things either.
I never touch babies for this reason.
If they can be broken, I'd accidentally do it

Lmao. Well that wouldn't be good.... I'm a mom and even I'm nervous holding a baby, I'm not delicate either. I was afraid to say I'm a total slob when I detect, I was afraid the plug police would come to the thread with sirens ringing. My plugs are the only thing I do somewhat neatly when I detect.... Me, my tools and my detector are a mess... I don't even use gloves .. Lol

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HaHa "plug police" i like that.
Does seem like some have elected themselves "plug police" on occasion :laughing7:

anyway. If yur getting multiple signals that dissappear
after removing a nail.
it was probably the Nail causing all the signals in the first place.
they can be like that.

I usually pinpoint with my coil,
Dig a plug, then pinpoint to narrow it down.

Gloves ? Me neither.

Tried 'em, Don't like 'em

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jimmi

Jimmi

Apr 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At least your a man...:). I have farmer hands, that look 20 years older than my face.... Lol

Moonrover

Jul 17, 2012
Cambridge, MA
Primary Interest:
Other
The corona of mineralization around long-buried iron/steel will be a factor in the mystery of goofy signals. After you dig, that corona is disturbed. I think if you keep tilling up your yard one hole at a time then removing every metallic item, you will still get ghost signals. Consider lowering the detector sensitivity so you avoid the bulk of the problem signals.

As for the Garrett ProPointer ... you WILL buy one ... eventually. Put it in a large clear plastic baggie to keep water and crud out of the speaker hole. Somewhat cumbersome but better than the alternative. Treat it with care and it will last a long time. Can't be hammered into the ground like a railroad spike !!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As for the Garrett ProPointer ... you WILL buy one ... eventually. Put it in a large clear plastic baggie to keep water and crud out of the speaker hole. Somewhat cumbersome but better than the alternative. Treat it with care and it will last a long time. Can't be hammered into the ground like a railroad spike !!

I just rapped Black Electrical tape around the Pinpointer a few times to cover the speaker hole.

you can still hear it, but not as loud to alert everyone in the state you got a signal :tongue3:

and since i wear headphones, I use the vibration anyway

OP
OP
Jimmi

Jimmi

Apr 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The corona of mineralization around long-buried iron/steel will be a factor in the mystery of goofy signals. After you dig, that corona is disturbed. I think if you keep tilling up your yard one hole at a time then removing every metallic item, you will still get ghost signals. Consider lowering the detector sensitivity so you avoid the bulk of the problem signals.

Lol, darn ... I've broken 2 hand trowels in 2 weeks digging... Gentle care isn't my strong suit.... But if I pay $130 for something I'm gonna have to learn it

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The $16 HF pin pointer is exactly worth what you give for it. Moon and Jeff hit the nail on the head. If your in this for the long haul the PP is the one. No matter which you buy you still need to have an understanding of what it will do which has been explained very well here. The PP is no cure all for ghost signals. If your hunting site has a lot of iron/nails then you need to learn what your detector is telling you. If it's not telling you what you need to know or your not listening then maybe a different detector is what you need. Or refresh yourself on what your detector is telling you. A Pin Pointer whether HF or Pro Pointer is not gonna make one bit of a difference in pin pointing Ghost signals

OP
OP
Jimmi

Jimmi

Apr 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's telling me it likes nails:)

OP
OP
Jimmi

Jimmi

Apr 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everybody. Guess I'll wait till I can afford the good one. Part of my trouble is, I lime the iron stuff.. And there is no way to avoid digging nails since that's the case. I just want to hurry up the process , I stead if spending 15 minutes locating a nail.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread