FrequencyX

Greenie
Apr 3, 2013
Montana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Getting discouraged with permissions lately. Numerous individuals including our local manager of the county fairgrounds have denied me. The last response was from the manager of the county fairgrounds denying based on the fact that "too many people have asked recently, so we are not allowing it". When asking for permissions, I always state that I do not leave any traces and remove any trash that I come across.

Local playgrounds have been pounded too hard and local farmers never get back to me! Grrrr more of a venting session I suppose. Has anyone else had issues getting permissions lately?

Upvote 0

Jimmi

Apr 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Run. Put down your phone and run as fast as you can. I fear for you my friend.... The " permission police" will arrive soon. I'm ducking out before they get here... Lol

gsxraddict

Sep 21, 2005
Resaca, GA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
quit asking to hunt public places, knock on doors. Private land is where you find the REAL good stuff these days.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
haha, the permission police :)

frequencyX, question for you: Did the "local playgrounds" (where it appears you've hunted before) give you permission? Or did you just "go" (d/t there was nothing saying you couldn't) ? And if you just went to playgrounds, then ..... could you not also have done the same for the fairgrounds? Or is it locked up tight with no way to get in (except when fairs are going on).

Our county fairgrounds have fences around it NOT because it's not open to the public. But only so that they can collect entrance fees at the turn-style, when fairs are going on. However, there's numerous times when the gates are open, off-season. For example the various buildings inside get used for VFW meetings, or AA meeetings, or the gates are opened when people come tend to the animals, etc..... And during those times, I've just gone in, and no one's ever paid mind. However, I'm sure, that just like in your situation, if I were to have asked enough people (who in turn have to pass it by their legal dept, put it up for a vote of county commissioners, etc...), then sure, eventually I could probably find a "no" (even though, as is apparent, no one cares). The same can also be said of your "local playgrounds". You can find a "no" there too, if you ask long enough and hard enough of enough city bureaucrats, using the right combinations of buzzwords ("treasure" and "dig" and so forth).

Last edited:

Jimmi

Apr 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh my goodness, Tom you sly fox, look at you getting all mellow:) I recall asking a similar question long ago and I couldn't sit for a week...lol

OP
OP
F

FrequencyX

Greenie
Apr 3, 2013
Montana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
haha, the permission police :)

frequencyX, question for you: Did the "local playgrounds" (where it appears you've hunted before) give you permission? Or did you just "go" (d/t there was nothing saying you couldn't) ? And if you just went to playgrounds, then ..... could you not also have done the same for the fairgrounds? Or is it locked up tight with no way to get in (except when fairs are going on).

Our county fairgrounds have fences around it NOT because it's no open to the public. But only so that they can collect entrance fees at the turn-style, when fairs are going on. However, there's numerous times when the gates are open, off-season. For example the various buildings inside get used for VFW meetings, or AA meeetings, or the gates are opened when people come tend to the animals, etc..... And during those times, I've just gone in, and no one's ever paid mind. However, I'm sure, that just like in your situation, if I were to have asked enough people (who in turn have to pass it by their legal dept, put it up for a vote of county commissioners, etc...), then sure, eventually I could probably find a "no" (even though, as is apparent, no one cares). The same can also be said of your "local playgrounds". You can find a "no" there too, if you ask long enough and hard enough of enough city bureaucrats, using the right combinations of buzzwords ("treasure" and "dig" and so forth).

To answer your question, no for the local playgrounds\schools. The county fairgrounds are open almost 24/7 for shows and different functions. I want to do things right and request permission, but like you said, you will surely find a NO from someone. I was actually hoping you would reply Tom :) When it comes to stupid laws, bureaucrats or trespassing issues, you tend to chime in with some great stuff.

OP
OP
F

FrequencyX

Greenie
Apr 3, 2013
Montana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
quit asking to hunt public places, knock on doors. Private land is where you find the REAL good stuff these days.

Looks like I will need to start beating down some doors. I figured that I could of missing some good stuff on county fairgrounds property, but alas, I was denied because I asked.

pennyfarmer

Oct 12, 2006
West Haven, UT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Public places with no signs are a go for me. When people start to ask permission at these places I believe that the person being asked has never had anyone ask and therefore believe it has never happened on the property and since they have never seen damage done by detectorists they think you, the lone detectorist is going to be leaving behind destruction.

I have been kicked out of one park before. The caretaker told me it was because of damage we were doing. When I asked him to see the damage done by detectorists he was speechless. Of course he had no evidence of damage he just didn't like me digging up his weeds.

PhilBarnett

Oct 6, 2012
Englewood
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Fisher Gold Bug, Garretts ACE-350 and Garrett's pinpointer pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I am wondering if you don't get permission to search school grounds or city parks how bad are the police to stop people and confiscate their equipment? Anyone had problems with this.

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Hmm, well doing the "Right thing" as you say, can be to look up rules for yourself (if you're worried and so-inclined). To see if metal detecting is prohibited. Since fairgrounds aren't technically a "park" per se, then there might not be "rules", that one would expect to find for regular "parks". Eg.: dogs on leash, closes at sunset, no fireworks, and so forth.

However, .......there might still be "rules", that you'd find at a fairgrounds entrance. Eg.: no alcahol, no drugs, shoes required, etc.... if you're really worried, I suppose you could check the county itself too, for their codes and rules, to see if any mention is made on "metal detectors" (I doubt it).

But this all assumes anyone cares to begin with, or that you anticipate being hassled, etc... When I've hunted our fairgrounds, I certainly didn't go wearing a big red "x" on my back. There was some const. going on, and they were tearing out some grass to make ready for pour some cement. Got some silver coins and wheaties where they scraped. The gates were open, so I just went in.

I have a street sweeper business that sweeps up the paved areas during and after all the fairs in our tri-county area. And I can tell you for a fact that during the cleanup times following events, there's always an md'r or two who routinely check underneath the twirly upside rides (for copious amounts of clad). And I highly doubt they're "asking" anyone (probably didn't occur to them that anyone cares). But sure, if they cared to, and asked long enough and hard enough, I'm sure they could find a "no".

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
So I am wondering if you don't get permission to search school grounds or city parks how bad are the police to stop people and confiscate their equipment? Anyone had problems with this.

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet

I have never, in my 35+ yrs. of this, ever heard of anyone "having their equipment confiscated" for detecting innocuous school grounds or city parks. If you EVER hear of such a thing, it's invariably someone sneaking obvious historic monuments, someone who couldn't take a warning, someone violating posted signs, etc... Booted? Maybe. You simply can not escape the connotations that some people have (that you might leave a mess, etc... ) . You can not please everyone.

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stop askin for public property. Unless its markes with a sign no detecting, have I
At it. Only ask for private property like houses.

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've posted this before on other threads...what I do is call the local Police Dept. and ask this yes or no question: "Are there any laws specific to metal detecting on town/city property such as schools or parks". I am polite, always get the name of the person I've spoken with (usually a dispatcher) and keep note of the date and time I spoke with them and thank them for their time. I carry a small notebook with my detecting stuff so if I am in a public place and stopped, I can say, "I spoke with Officer X on such a date and time and he said there are no specific laws".(I would leave the site if asked to by the PD). I never, ever mention digging, filling my holes, etc., as a lot of places will take this as "destruction of property" which IS against the law. I have only been turned away from one town locally because they have an ordinance on lost property that makes it illegal to keep your find, no matter how old it is or where you found it (private property is not excluded).

Please don't flame me for going to the PD. This is what works for me and is just my 2 cents....I know this has also worked for other detectorists in my area.

Anita

Digger2

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2013
Vacherie Louisiana
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS,Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500 ,
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett pointer
Garrett Pro Pointer
Detectorpro Uniprobe

Vibra-tector 730
Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When a person asks for permission from an employee of the state, city, municipal, or whatever, they are putting the person they ask "on the spot". If they say yes, you can go and someone makes an issue of it, the person who gave you permission may or may not have to answer for it. So they say no! because they are in a lose only situation.

Which is why, If there is no sign on public property (ball parks, playgrounds, etc) saying No Metal Detectors, I feel free to go. That being said, I won't hunt private property without permission.

My $.02
Roy

Digger2

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2013
Vacherie Louisiana
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS,Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500 ,
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett pointer
Garrett Pro Pointer
Detectorpro Uniprobe

Vibra-tector 730
Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Many years ago, I was hunting on state property (a state park). There was no sign, referencing anything to a metal detector. I had searched for about an hour, picking up nothing but clad, when a Park Ranger approached and told me there was a law against what I was doing.
When he asked what did I find, I showed him the clads and asked if he wanted them, he said no, he didn't, but I would have to leave, as the place is protected because of historical artifacts.
We shook hands and I left.
I had not made myself aware of the MD laws, at that time. I think he was being nice, by telling me to leave in a pleasant way.

Roy

bragg765

Apr 11, 2013
Fairmont, West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Treasure Hunter VLF, Teknetics Alpha 2000, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also went through things by asking about digging and was told no, although the lands I wanted to dig was on State land and well you have to go through so much red tape and B.S. to just get told no in the end anyways. But what I did here on the local level was simply called the county commissioners office and asked if my county had any laws pertaining to MD'ing on county property. The commissioner told me that there were no laws and that all county land was public property. Since then I have been hitting one of the local parks here at least once a week, even while the park crews were out cleaning and what ever they do all day. I will say the first day they were around I was a little worried that one of them would say something, but they were more interested in if I was finding anything good or not. My advice would be just to do as I did call the county and ask about the laws, as was stated above don't ask about digging or removing anything just simply about the laws. Most likely they are considered public lands and there should be no problems.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used

I also went through things by asking about digging and was told no, although the lands I wanted to dig was on State land and well you have to go through so much red tape and B.S. to just get told no in the end anyways. But what I did here on the local level was simply called the county commissioners office and asked if my county had any laws pertaining to MD'ing on county property. The commissioner told me that there were no laws and that all county land was public property. Since then I have been hitting one of the local parks here at least once a week, even while the park crews were out cleaning and what ever they do all day. I will say the first day they were around I was a little worried that one of them would say something, but they were more interested in if I was finding anything good or not. My advice would be just to do as I did call the county and ask about the laws, as was stated above don't ask about digging or removing anything just simply about the laws. Most likely they are considered public lands and there should be no problems.

bragg, are you saying you never got carded? To have needed to show or cite your "permission" ? Then if you'd simply just have gone, then the same net-effect would have been the result?

Last edited:

bragg765

Apr 11, 2013
Fairmont, West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Treasure Hunter VLF, Teknetics Alpha 2000, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom, in this case you are correct the outcome would have been the same if I would have checked or not. But, say that there was a law against it and I was ignorant to said law, but went about MD'ing and ran into an officer then the fact that I was ignorant of the law would not have been a suitable defense. Trust me for the most part I am someone that would rather ask for forgiveness than beg for permission, but I do not see the harm in simply contacting people to find out the laws that pertain to MD'ing in the area. I would rather be completely informed on things, then be able to make a decision to go on or not knowing the consequences if I continue.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread