Anyone ever worked with their local historical society?

smugglersbluez

Jan 10, 2013
central Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro , Bounty Hunter IV
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 0

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've done this with historical properties and also assisted on archaeology surveys. We don't get to keep anything, but sometimes get recognition for finding the items.

Wayne

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Absolutely! Just make sure they will attribute all of your finds to you when they are displayed!

mark1427

Apr 16, 2013
Southampton Co. Va.
Detector(s) used
ACE 350, Garret pro pointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wondered where they might stand reguarding detecting on maintained sites. Feels like the would be stand offish about it.

I would like to "keep" what is found, but I guess turning it over is better than not knowing what was there.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I docent at two different museums. And it has given me carte-blanche for historical research that would otherwise be hard to attain (access to file-cabinets and resources buried in dark back rooms, etc...). Also the credentials alone (to be able to show your badge when travelling around) opens up doors to other museums and historians too. Simply saying that you 'work at such & such museum' tends to get people to drop their guard, and see you as a legitimate seeker of information :) And once you get to know the people in your particular historical society, and something comes up (a dig, or rennovations on a maintained site, etc...), it's much easier to get on to such sites, since you're all on a first-name basis. The "fox guarding the hen-house" so-to-speak :)

The two museums I work at require only 6 hrs. per month committment (3 hrs. x 2 days per month). It's just manning a desk, or leading 4th graders on tours, etc.... Lot of fun too.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tom_in_CA said:
I docent at two different museums. And it has given me carte-blanche for historical research that would otherwise be hard to attain (access to file-cabinets and resources buried in dark back rooms, etc...). Also the credentials alone (to be able to show your badge when travelling around) opens up doors to other museums and historians too. Simply saying that you 'work at such & such museum' tends to get people to drop their guard, and see you as a legitimate seeker of information :) And once you get to know the people in your particular historical society, and something comes up (a dig, or rennovations on a maintained site, etc...), it's much easier to get on to such sites, since you're all on a first-name basis. The "fox guarding the hen-house" so-to-speak :)

The two museums I work at require only 6 hrs. per month committment (3 hrs. x 2 days per month). It's just manning a desk, or leading 4th graders on tours, etc.... Lot of fun too.

That's a great idea Tom!

OP
OP
smugglersbluez

smugglersbluez

Jan 10, 2013
central Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro , Bounty Hunter IV
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good point tom on the credentials, just not thrilled about the idea of somebody watching over me as I detect. That would probably subside once they know the process. Better yet I'll give the person my spare to swing. I figured it would not have many negatives. Thanks for the input guys

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@ Tom... "Docent" had to look that one up. LOL But that's pretty cool. There's no museums close enough to make that worth while for me but the town I live in has a Historical Society and maintains one of the oldest homes herel, built by the Melvin Halsted. Said to be the God Father (Founder) of our town.
Sugglersbluez, I have often thought about asking to detect the lot with the knowledge I'd probably not be able to keep anything I found but get credit for the finds. Let us know how it goes. HH

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been trying to start a dialogue with my county's historical society, but they have not shown any interest in having me locate historical relics. I even made it clear that anything notable found would be their property, and that my process leaves no trace of disturbance.

There is a ghost town near my town that thrived between 1830-1850, with taverns, hotels and other shops. However, no trace of it remains outside of buried foundations and an unmarked graveyard. The society has even documented a story of a stash of gold coins along the river from a man who was attending a dance and didn't want his house robbed. One too many whiskeys and the next day he was unable to locate the right spot!

This seems like it could be a real honey hole, but I only have a vague idea of its location.

XLTer

Sep 26, 2012
Western Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually started a friendly dialogue with our local Historical Society back in the 90's when I first got into detecting . They seem impressed by my knowledge of local history of our county & state . During one conversation I casually mentioned detecting to the head archaeologist and how I would be willing to donate time if they ever needed a detectorist . The next time I visited the Society seeking more info on a certain extinct town , they were very tight lipped & standoffish . I canceled my membership and have never been back to buy books that help fund the Society . I've always tried to improve the image of detectorists , but some people will never be swayed from the rogue treasure hunter image a few have caused .

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Silver Simon and XLT'er: I notice that in each of your attempts to get your local historic societies to include you in detecting to "locate historic relics" or "donate time if they ever need a detectorist", that you did-so as an outsider. Ie.: just someone coming in chatting at the museum and so forth. And yes, they will be cordial, impressed with your knowledge of history, and so forth. But still, you're doing this as an outsider.

If I'm understanding each of you, you're not actually working there, volunteering time, etc... Oh sure, perhaps you pay your dues to be on a mailing list, and have a card-in-your-wallet, but are you actually there putting in time manning the museum? Are you actually helping to archive?

All the things you say they stymied you about, could have gone very differently if you were actually "one of them" (so to speak).

I have gotten to hunt in a VERY SACRED historic spot, simply by virtue of being a tour-guide leader at a certain 1770's site here in CA. (and found 2 reales, buttons, etc...) And trust me, if I'd merely gone in and asked (as it appears you did), I too would have gotten a big fat "no". But being "on the inside", ...... you can feel out the right timing, and feel out the right wording, and get better results.

XLTer, you're right: most archies will clam up if they know you're an md'r. They're not going to tell you sites with good potential for md'ing. What did you expect? There's a few cool archies I know of. But the rest are diametrically opposed to md'ing. If I run into any of those "purist" types, I do not tell them I'm an md'r. I will work my angle as a historian/museum worker, and ask the questions I need. Oddly, you can ask much more sensitive questions (about exact locations of things, etc...) as a museum worker, and it will not phase them to ask themselves "why is this guy asking such specific questions about the exact location of a stage stop?" They'll just assume it's because you "work at the museum"! doh :)

Last edited:

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive used the historical society for research. I think they caught on to what I was doin only lookin up parks and other gathering points. They kinda got strange with me the last time I was in there.

Jimmi

Apr 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the chance to detect a few places that my local historical society maintains. Of course they keep anything historical,and they want someone with me at some locations. Just wanted some input and see if anyone else has done this before.

I volunteer at a preserved historic site, working the gardens. Supposedly they had archeologists comb through the place ... Well every time I'm digging in tbe garden .. I did alittle deeper ... Lol.. And dig up pieces if pottery and square nails.. I say to the ladies " hey I found so and so" and they are just like ehh throw it back. So I keep my lil trinkets . Got a little collection going .. It's junk... But it's 200 and 300 year old junk! Lol

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Historical Societies and some of their members. . . as Tom in CA eluded to. . . can be very territorial. Many of these members are volunteers and based on their
"seniority" (or is it senility) at the Society, want to make the rules. This, however, is a worst case senareo. The Historical Society in the town
I live has been very open with everyone. When someone has a question about the history of the house they just bought, or anything for that matter,
they'll research their archives for any info.

Smugglerbluez, you might consider offering your services for a metal detecting workshop (sponsored through the Historical Society/Park District)
for adults and/or teens as a summer program. This would help get your name out plus, you would have access to some of their maintained sites.

Last year I conducted a 3-day metal detecting summer workshop for 7th & 8th grade students. This was one of series of Historical Society-sponsored
programs they offered during the summer. The metal detecting program went extremely well and the kids literally "bounced off the walls" when
the homeowner at the property we hunted, said they could keep ALL their finds (silver dimes & IH pennies).

Good luck & HH!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
"metal detecting workshop" ?

Historical Societies and some of their members. . . as Tom in CA eluded to. . . can be very territorial. Many of these members are volunteers and based on their
"seniority" (or is it senility) at the Society, want to make the rules. This, however, is a worst case senareo. The Historical Society in the town
I live has been very open with everyone. When someone has a question about the history of the house they just bought, or anything for that matter,
they'll research their archives for any info.

Smugglerbluez, you might consider offering your services for a metal detecting workshop (sponsored through the Historical Society/Park District)
for adults and/or teens as a summer program. This would help get your name out plus, you would have access to some of their maintained sites.

Last year I conducted a 3-day metal detecting summer workshop for 7th & 8th grade students. This was one of series of Historical Society-sponsored
programs they offered during the summer. The metal detecting program went extremely well and the kids literally "bounced off the walls" when
the homeowner at the property we hunted, said they could keep ALL their finds (silver dimes & IH pennies).

Good luck & HH!

watercolor, a "metal detecting workshop" for a "historical society" ? Again just as in the response others got from their societies/museums, I'd say that too would fall on deaf ears, and go nowhere (in fact, maybe even hostile responses) UNLESS YOU ARE ALREADY THERE in some capacity as an existing volunteer, or known-member, etc... And even then, to go suggesting programs like this, would need to be something the society/museum themselves are fishing for. For example: If they had a newsletter asking for any of their members/docents to step up to the plate to suggest "workshop" ideas, or something. Otherwise, it's not likely they're looking to go invent a class, for any total stranger to come in saying "I'd like to teach about metal detecting", etc....

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
watercolor, a "metal detecting workshop" for a "historical society" ? Again just as in the response others got from their societies/museums, I'd say that too would fall on deaf ears, and go nowhere (in fact, maybe even hostile responses) UNLESS YOU ARE ALREADY THERE in some capacity as an existing volunteer, or known-member, etc... And even then, to go suggesting programs like this, would need to be something the society/museum themselves are fishing for. For example: If they had a newsletter asking for any of their members/docents to step up to the plate to suggest "workshop" ideas, or something. Otherwise, it's not likely they're looking to go invent a class, for any total stranger to come in saying "I'd like to teach about metal detecting", etc....

Nope, I'm not a "member" of our Historical Society. . . one of the members that knew I metal detected as a hobby contacted me. Yep, I was surprised.

The premise of this program was not what could be found, but rather what could be learned from what was found. I met with our HS met and suggested a course outline that included basic research, conservation and basic artifact recovery techniques. Remember, these are "kids" that need instant gratification. . . even a rusty nail or a coin from the 1940's will peak their interest. . . it so happened that the property I secured was built in the 1890's (old for my neck of the woods). The excitement these kids felt with their finds blew me away. And after their "finds" were conserved (cleaned up), it was well worth my time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread