Prospect park. Can i use a machine but not dig?

toughturtle

Apr 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 - DD and Sniper
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi. I just got my machine today and would like to try it out. Prospect park is limited to weekends only for metal detecting, but what exactly does that mean? Is that for using a machine AND digging? What if wanted to go and try it out just to get the feel? And not dig.

Also, my permit application was mailed yesterday to the city parks department. So, I also have no permit.

Thoughts?
Todd

Upvote 0

Mortamus

Jun 9, 2012
Southern Callie
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
NO get permit

There's a city close to me that will allow Mding but no recovery..
But you can pop coins and get the stuff on top

S

stefen

That's like heavy petting on a 1st date...all that effort and no finale...

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Hi. I just got my machine today and would like to try it out. Prospect park is limited to weekends only for metal detecting, but what exactly does that mean? Is that for using a machine AND digging? What if wanted to go and try it out just to get the feel? And not dig.

Also, my permit application was mailed yesterday to the city parks department. So, I also have no permit.

Thoughts?
Todd

Does your permit actually SAY "no digging" on it? If so, welcome to the harsh reality of "permits". I always wonder why md'rs eyes wax romantic at the thought of "permits" for their towns (as if to say "I wish our town had permits", etc...). But as yours shows, they only bring scrutiny and restrictions, NOT "allowances". Much better that places have NO permits (and let it simply be silent on the subject of "metal detecting" and not addressed either way).

If it were me, I'd go with what mortamus is hinting at: go with a probe/screwdriver anyhow, and you can still pry and wriggle out coins. Sure it's not effective down too deeply, and sure someone might still gripe at your semantics of "dig" vs "pop/probe", but ..... are you really planning on wearing a big red X begging for scrutiny? Just go at low traffic times, avoid lookie-lous, and I bet no one cares. Because, think of it: the actual desire for any such rule on "digging" is the END results anyhow, right? I mean, let's face it: what's the connotation of "dig" anyhow?: HOLES. So if you leave no trace of your presence, then it seems to me you've fulfilled the intent of such verbage.

OP
OP
T

toughturtle

Apr 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 - DD and Sniper
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have not received my permit yet. Should be here in a week. Not sure what it says exactly. But you can hunt AND dig on weekends.

Just wondering if I go find a small area and practice, I won't be breaking any rules.

Thanks for the info.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No my friend, you can't take a metal detector into the park except on Saturday and Sunday - period. The ticket without a permit is around $160.00 and they will TAKE you machine as evidence. Some cops are cool, others have NO sense of humor. Take a train to White Plains, and I'll take you out!!

OP
OP
T

toughturtle

Apr 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 - DD and Sniper
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry, thanks for the info...

I will wait patiently. If I make it to White Plains I will let you know. Thx again!

Todd

NW Digger

Oct 14, 2012
Mason, Ohio (moved from wa)
Detector(s) used
At-Pro, White's XLT, GTI 2500, Ace 250, Titan 2000xd, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No place better to practice then your own yard, some peoples best finds have come from just a few steps from their doors!
I have to say that another bonus to your yard is you can practice digging your holes and plugs and keeping it nice and tidy and not leave a trace when you do have to dig in a nice yard, public place etc.

HH and good luck!

OP
OP
T

toughturtle

Apr 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 - DD and Sniper
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish I had a yard to practice in. But here in NYC most people live in apartment buildings and other non-yard places. So the parks are basically the only option.

Todd

NW Digger

Oct 14, 2012
Mason, Ohio (moved from wa)
Detector(s) used
At-Pro, White's XLT, GTI 2500, Ace 250, Titan 2000xd, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahhh gotcha, didn't even think about you living in the concrete jungle. :-(

relish

Mar 28, 2013
Staten Island NY
Detector(s) used
ATPRO......Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NO YOU CAN'T!

Thoughts?
Todd

No MD'ing without a permit means what it means....you are metal detecting without digging....wait the 10-14 days for your permit....Big Brother is always watching!

Col.Philo95thNY

Jul 27, 2007
Ocala, Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MineLab Explorer I & II, SE Pro, Fisher CZ-20, Fisher 6a, Bounty Hunter LandStar
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ToughTurtle

They used to let us detect till your new permit came in the mail, and was told that this year they are not letting us do that. Permits did not get out to mid April, 2013. So you know how we all felt just waiting for them to decide which parks were going to be added or taken away. First, when you receive your permit, read it completely. Understand that you can not dig at the base or around a tree. You must be 25 feet, or from where the over hang of the braches reach out over the grass or ground. Wood lads are a no go, but trails and bald spots are OK. Make sure you have your permit on you at all times, and always be courteous no matter how the ranger is acting. A lot of them have in the years become more leanient in respect to where you can hunt, but above all, learn to cut the proper plug, by leaving a grass at one side of the plug, this way when you lower the plug it fits back perfectly and avoid brown spots. In Stateb Island Parks, watch out there because the rangers do not like detectorist and will summons you even in the rough grass, and we were told that hunting in the wood lands was no problem with them, hench... SI only. Van Cortlandt Park, you'll need to go to the main station, and they'll give you a map of the park of where you can hunt and can not hunt, but again, rough grass, not a problem, fair grounds is a no go... Good Luck and I hope these little tips and rugulations will help you have fun and avoid any problems with the ranger and the like....HH.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread