Do expensive headphones make a differance

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't find what you can't hear...... Fait signals is what you gain with good headphones and many times those faint signals are the best targets.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use headsets a lots and used to always buy the expensive ones. But have found some less expensive that work very nicely lately, technology marches on! Still have been burned on cheaper sets before tho, goes with the territory I think.

labradigger1

Sep 8, 2012
tucker co wv
Detector(s) used
whites dfx, mxt pro, tdi, bullseye II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i use the black widows, fwiw to me they make all the difference in the world. they are over the ear and dont hurt the ears after long periods. they block out more environmental noise. sound quality is superb. they are expensive but i would not hesitate to buy another. lifetime warranty as well.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dwight Frye said:
Just wondering do expensive headphones make a differance ? I'm working with the ciibola . Audio only with one tone . Just wondering how or if expensive headphones would really make a differance ? Right now I uses a 10 set and only use one ear covered .

Just curious, with one tone audio do you have to dig every sound? How does one determine the difference between good and bad? If it has one tone it seems like good headphones would not make any difference at all.

bevo

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
eastern wa
Detector(s) used
minelab eureka,fisher f2,ace 150,fisher gold tick,whites coin classic II
They also save batteries.

OP
OP
Dwight Frye

Dwight Frye

Apr 3, 2013
CHARLOTTE NC
Detector(s) used
TESORO CIBOLA
Well I'm just getting use to it . But how clean, crisp or broken the signal is . You supposely after awhile can tell . The vdi display machines were wrong lots so I don't think it matters . I just fiqure this is not high quality audio stuff . So even cheap headphones should pick up what you need . But I don't know . If you have a machine with mutiole tones etc , maybe . Hopefully somebody with a Tesoro will answer

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
i use the black widows, fwiw to me they make all the difference in the world. they are over the ear and dont hurt the ears after long periods. they block out more environmental noise. sound quality is superb. they are expensive but i would not hesitate to buy another. lifetime warranty as well.

You have to replace the pads,they get brittle with sweat,they can get hot now,replacement stick pads are 10.00 a pair,I've used four pair,I'll tell you what,Can't Beat Em,I like my BlackWidows now.

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So... A nice pair of headphones really makes a difference? My E-trac came with some Koss cans that sound fine to me, but Bart also included Sun Ray Pro Gold cans, which are supposedly pretty good. I haven't tried them yet, as there are lots of switches on it that confuse me lol.

parkgt

Feb 19, 2013
Western AR
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, XP Deus, previous CTX and 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So... A nice pair of headphones really makes a difference? My E-trac came with some Koss cans that sound fine to me, but Bart also included Sun Ray Pro Gold cans, which are supposedly pretty good. I haven't tried them yet, as there are lots of switches on it that confuse me lol.

Mine only have two switches and two volume knobs? I just flip the switches until I have sound, not much to get confused about IMO.

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine only have two switches and two volume knobs? I just flip the switches until I have sound, not much to get confused about IMO.

Coming from the stock Koss cans with NO switches and NO knobs... and no manual, I feel it is warranted. Based on your comment those switches mute the sound?

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My favorite Head Phones are the cheapest ones. I bought them as part of a wireless set at Hobby Lobby for $10.00 bucks. Man can those head phones hunt. I think I like them as they are comfortable, and have a extra long cord so I can dig with them on. I also own a expensive set of Koss, and yes Koss has been around for years making good head sets. I dont know what the difference is between the name brands mentioned here or not. I will say any head phone is better than no head phone if your in a safe place to hunt with them. I too must have a volume control even though my detector has one also.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've read lots of pros and cons on this. I use Grey Ghost originals and Nugget Busters and they definitely are crisper and sharper to my ears than the cheaper ones I've used as well as sealing out outside noise very well. Seems to me they handle the snaps and crackles where a target discs out very well and the solid coin hits seem a touch fuller and solid as well. However, it took me a good number of hours before I got good at deciding the target was likely a quarter or such. This on single tone detectors, by the way. Everyone's ears are a bit different, but I'm happy with what I'm using. You're probably not going to be buying lots of headphones so it makes sense to get a quality pair in my opinion.
luvsdux

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other

Koss are good quality for std equipment, good enough. A lot of tecters get shipped with crap phones, in which case I recommend a good pair of tectin phones. You want max outside noise cancellation, max comfort, which is usually a hundred dollar bill plus. On the golds, there are two switches. One controls if the tector speaker is on or off. The other controls an audio level mode, loud or soft. I took the nut off the speaker switch and stuffed it into the headphone cup, I got sick of it clicking off and on so easily. Covered the hole with a round piece of electrical tape.

OP
OP
Dwight Frye

Dwight Frye

Apr 3, 2013
CHARLOTTE NC
Detector(s) used
TESORO CIBOLA
Anybody specfically using a cibola . Care to answer . It just seems to me any headphones that are 20hz should do the job . Just hate to spend over a hundred on a single tone machine if need not be . Lol

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even single BEEP phones give extra information with the addition of premium head phones. Till you try the Black Widow's you think you are finding the older coins, but you aren't. NRA2.JPG

OP
OP
Dwight Frye

Dwight Frye

Apr 3, 2013
CHARLOTTE NC
Detector(s) used
TESORO CIBOLA
Will I guess I will try something from amazon . I can always send back . Hell today I found a small metal piece like a coin , no more than 1/4 diameter , 7 inches down . Now I don't know if this is good or bad depending on how you look at it . It surprised the Hell out of me . After doing air tests , I don't know how it picked this up in the ground . Lol

tmanfromtexas

Mar 12, 2006
Deep East Texas near Toledo Bend
Detector(s) used
ETRAC BABY
I have been hunting with the Etrac since 2008. It came with the Koss head phones which I have used exclusively. I was hunting in Jackson Park in Chicago a few years back with GOIO and AmericanCoinhunting and one of the guys from Rockford. He made a comment about me using the Koss headphones and said if I would use a better set I would find more stuff. I said thanks for the unwanted opinion. Ten minutes later I dug my first seated dime. He was a few feet from me and I showed it to him. I said well I guess I will keep them for a while. lol. Been using them ever since. TMAN...

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have rebuilt my cheapo head phone a hundred times. I am rough on them in the areas I hunt. A good pair has to be better than the $30.00 sets I buy. I am tired of it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread