artemis moon

Jun 1, 2007
Near Bangor, Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After 5 years with the Ace 250, last year I upgraded to the Safari. I bought Andy Sabisch's book and read it cover to cover, did the air garden and followed his advice. By the end of the season, I was just about beginning to figure out pinpointing with it, but I never really felt compelled to check out its capabilities and only used it in the factory preset mode.

Fast forward to the beginning of this year..first time out, I turned the machine on and completely blanked out on how to use the noise cancel feature. Went home and reread the book. I admit, I'm not tech savvy..not at all, not even a little bit. As I read for the 4th time the section about cross saving and the "eternal quest for the magic numbers" it made my head spin. I simply cannot retain and process the information, and when I get out into the field with this detector, I feel overwhelmed by all of the different noises and numbers it produces. I'm longing for the simple days with the Ace and wondering if I've made a $1,000 mistake and should consider trading the Safari in for something easier to figure out.

Last night I went to an old park that was used as a militia training ground. I turned the Trash settings to "Low" as my friend Andy suggests and got several high, flutey signals that rung up at a solid 38. On all three occassions, I dug what looked like melted lead or pot metal. I also found a pencil and 2 clad pennies- Success :unhappysmiley:

I'm really wishing that there was a book "Minelab Safari for Dummies"!

Are there any Safari/Quattro users out there that could give some practical, step by step advice? One of the questions that I've struggled with for a long time is how important is it to know what you are looking for when you are detecting. I know it sounds silly, but when I hunt, I'd be happy to find coins, or jewelry, or relics. I'm not fussy, I'll take it all...which is probably why I am reluctant to change the settings from the factory presets. If you are hunting a Civil War site, for instance, I think you are probably looking for relics, but does that mean you are eliminating the possibility of finding a coin or a gold ring? I don't know why this is so confusing!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread