QUESTION FOR THE PROS

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely not a Pro and I've only found one silver ring, I'd look at the finds in the Beach and Shallow Hunting forum and I think you will find your answer. Jewelry on body parts and Water just don't seem to mix.

DangerDude

Apr 6, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, BH IV, Fisher F2 and Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm not a pro be any means. Here's my advice if you want it. Funny thing is I've found 2 rings in my backyard, the rest have been at baseball and soccer fields. Any place like that is always a good place to start as well as any public beaches. I live in the Midwest and there's plenty of lakes that have a public swimming area, the shallow areas usually hold some items. Do some map research on your area and find those really old public gathering places and your bound to come up with something.

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If you are mainly looking for jewelry then think of places where they may be lost. Of course beaches are going to be at the top but you mentioned some of the other sites to look for. I have found most of my jewelry in the tot lots. One time I found 5 rings in one very small tot lot. I also have found rings and necklaces in football fields and baseball fields. Keep in mind gold rings are going to give the same VDI as a pull tab so you will have to dig a lot of trash.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
answer

Where is the best place for jewelry finds? School yards, Soccer fields, Totlots or where?

Coin_Peeper

The answer is: Swimming beaches.

a) cool waters shrink fingers.

b) people lathering up with slippery suntan lotion.

c) people thrusting their hands/arms in frolicking motions

d) people lying in un-natural prone positions (lying on beach blankets, or prone while swimming), thus lending to necklaces and such defying gravity.

e) people thrusting their hands/fingers into the sand to build sand-castles and such.

f) let's face it: sand is easier to dig in

g) and my favorite: People taking off their jewelry for "safe-keeping" :)

OP
OP
cbankston

cbankston

Apr 9, 2013
Thanks Im doing all the above just wanted others opinions, as far pull tabs ringing the same, Im always all metal, if it beeps I dig it, Hell that's what I'm there to do anyway lol

Coin_Peeper

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The answer is: Swimming beaches.

a) cool waters shrink fingers.

b) people lathering up with slippery suntan lotion.

d) people lying in un-natural prone positions (lying on beach blankets, or prone while swimming), thus lending to necklaces and such defying gravity.

e) people thrusting their hands/fingers into the sand to build sand-castles and such.

f) let's face it: sand is easier to dig in

g) and my favorite: People taking off their jewelry for "safe-keeping" :)
Yup, that's definitely #1. #2 in my book is peoples yards. It's amazing how many pieces of jewelry have been lost while people do gardening work. #3 would be ball fields where any kind of contact sport is played. Then parks or fields where balls, frisbees, sticks, etc my be thrown.

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The most prolific area's for jewelry is anyplace there is swimming. And, the best of those I've found is cold water spots mostly in the northern climes. Folks in Minn, Mich, and Wisc have a ton of places to go and get refilled every summer. Cool water = contracted skin = loose rings and bracelets. Throw in the usual activity at beaches and you've got the ideal setup for lost jewelry. Ocean beaches, lakes, ponds or the old swimming hole they all will reap rewards regardless of location. Need the right equipment to go after it.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Ok lot of good answers
I would go along with the beach for I have found diamond, emerald, and regular bands there, But I also would have to mention yards where the rich have lived, probably 100-200 year old yards. When they lost them back then they didn't have detectors and the rich didn't care as much as the loss was smaller to them. Here's my favorite find from a yard last year. Frank...

ruby gold ring 700.jpg

OP
OP
cbankston

cbankston

Apr 9, 2013
Going to checkout a neighborhood that been scraped for future highway development, can't wait, research from neighbors told me it was originally there since the beginning of our city in Evansville, IN.

Coin_Peeper

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The County Courthouse is a great spot...once the divorce is granted, walk out the door and give the ring a fling.

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 700 (stock and 6" coil), Pro-find 35 PP, Makro PP, and a little luck.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been out 3 times this season and have found 2 silver rings(1 with diamonds), 2 silver pendants, 1 18kt white gold ring, and a 14kt gold bracelet. All of this came from 2 different school yards. I like hunting the parks for obvious reasons. I don't find really old coins but the jewelry more than makes up for that, especially when some of it fits the wife!

matrix master DBA

Jan 29, 2008
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites Mxt Pro + Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been hunting along time still not a pro! One that I do good at is the Frisbee disc golf courses. Just stand at the tee off plate and just think of where that ring would fling off at when throwing a Frisbee! Keep in mind Left and right handed people. Find a lot of clad as well.. GL HH

matrix master DBA

Jan 29, 2008
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites Mxt Pro + Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been out 3 times this season and have found 2 silver rings(1 with diamonds), 2 silver pendants, 1 18kt white gold ring, and a 14kt gold bracelet. All of this came from 2 different school yards. I like hunting the parks for obvious reasons. I don't find really old coins but the jewelry more than makes up for that, especially when some of it fits the wife!

Happy Wife Happy Detectorist!!

rickv14623

Dec 24, 2012
upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

"frolicking motions" has to be one of the best terms ever. Now I can't wait to work it into a conversation.

Thanks Tom

rickv14623

Dec 24, 2012
upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Going to checkout a neighborhood that been scraped for future highway development, can't wait, research from neighbors told me it was originally there since the beginning of our city in Evansville, IN.

Coin_Peeper
Let us know how that works out for you

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread