Metal detector harness or slings!

PhilBarnett

Oct 6, 2012
Englewood
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Fisher Gold Bug, Garretts ACE-350 and Garrett's pinpointer pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a new question for some of you that may be like myself. Does any one use a gun sling, weed eater shoulder strap or any kind of support (hip mount or shoulder) to take the weight of the metal detector of your arm. I am retired now and my old body is not what it use to be. Bad shoulders back and hips. Lol. If so how do they work for you or do they just get in the way and more trouble than they are worth.

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet

Upvote 0
OP
OP
PhilBarnett

PhilBarnett

Oct 6, 2012
Englewood
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Phil,
I see from the brands area that you've been at this Quest for some time and are Determined to succeed! Good on Ya!

Have you contacted White's Electronics in Sweet Home Oregon? I know you've talked with other dealers but I mean have you gone to The Source in Sweet Home? If not I would recommend doing just that. You've explained on this site your life's challenges so I know you can communicate and I know that you Will take your desires to a good conclusion. It seems to me that contacting "the source" would have some good possibility of coming up with some new views on the topics of all your concerns/needs including how to make swinging the machine physically easier. Who knows they might just make a special unit for you??! If nothing else they are good people and I know they do their absolute best to take care of their customers as well as want to be customers!

With my best regards......................63bkpkr/Herb

I haven't contacted whites directly but you are right in may be a good idea to talk to them. I am sure they would probable have some one that would email me or text with me on the subject. Thanks for recommending so. I probably do need to talk with them as well as people hear as I like to hear a lot of opinions before I buy something with the disabilities I have. They may have dealt with others that have the same concerns.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My detector came with a strap, but the only thing I use it for is a belt when I forget mine, lol. I use it for my pouch. Works great for that. I also never use the headphones cause 1) I don't like being tethered either as someone put it and 2) too many bears here in NEPA for me not to be aware of my surroundings.:thumbsup:

k3travel

Aug 25, 2012
wilmingto nc
Detector(s) used
whites coin master
I actually use a belt I drilled holes where the they needed be in a leather belt and use mine that way saved me a lot of back stress and arm strain

WVPapaw

Feb 22, 2013
Hills of WV
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, pro pointer, and two dowsing rods.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My detector came with a strap, but the only thing I use it for is a belt when I forget mine, lol. I use it for my pouch. Works great for that. I also never use the headphones cause 1) I don't like being tethered either as someone put it and 2) too many bears here in NEPA for me not to be aware of my surroundings.:thumbsup:

Bears are a good reason not to use them and so are snakes. It is hard to hear a rattler or rustling weeds/leaves from snake movement with those on. I have volume turned down but still don't think I could hear a snake.........although I am constantly looking for them because I admittedly am afraid of getting snake bit. It dates back to the time my brother and some friends dumped two minnow buckets full of water snakes in the boat I was fishing from. My brother swore that after jumping out of the boat with rod and reel in one hand and tackle box in the other, that I ran across the top of the water to land. I was too scared to pay attention to what happened after jumping out. I do know that I was on land in no time and it was probably 30 yards from the land to the boat.

WVPapaw

Feb 22, 2013
Hills of WV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been using harness for years I wear a camelpac and connect harness to it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Do you have a picture of that hookup? Thanks

mandad76

Jun 26, 2008
BAYTOWN, TEXAS
Detector(s) used
SPECTRA V3i/BHID 300
Think I remember reading about someone hipmounting the v3i - (hipmount kit from whites) - you'd have to call 'em to be sure it would work tho....gl and hh!!!

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
mandad76 said:
Think I remember reading about someone hipmounting the v3i - (hipmount kit from whites) - you'd have to call 'em to be sure it would work tho....gl and hh!!!

The hip mount may work with a small light coil like the 4x6 shooter but the 10DD would be way too front heavy. The box and battery actually balance out the weight of heavier coils on the V3i. I thought of doing the same thing as I have tennis elbow real bad and it hurts like hell after a couple hours of swinging.

OP
OP
PhilBarnett

PhilBarnett

Oct 6, 2012
Englewood
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bears are a good reason not to use them and so are snakes. It is hard to hear a rattler or rustling weeds/leaves from snake movement with those on. I have volume turned down but still don't think I could hear a snake.........although I am constantly looking for them because I admittedly am afraid of getting snake bit. It dates back to the time my brother and some friends dumped two minnow buckets full of water snakes in the boat I was fishing from. My brother swore that after jumping out of the boat with rod and reel in one hand and tackle box in the other, that I ran across the top of the water to land. I was too scared to pay attention to what happened after jumping out. I do know that I was on land in no time and it was probably 30 yards from the land to the boat.

Papaw that is funny as crap as I have encountered a time like that as well. Was fishing in my boat in Arkansas. Cotton mouth snakes are really bad there and very aggressive. I pulled up into a cove there and a bunch of them came after me trying to get in the boat and I broke a bunch of high dollar rods whipping them to keep them out of the boat while I was trying to get the boat started an get away. But I didn't walk on water. That's funny. Hahahah

WVPapaw

Feb 22, 2013
Hills of WV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Papaw that is funny as crap as I have encountered a time like that as well. Was fishing in my boat in Arkansas. Cotton mouth snakes are really bad there and very aggressive. I pulled up into a cove there and a bunch of them came after me trying to get in the boat and I broke a bunch of high dollar rods whipping them to keep them out of the boat while I was trying to get the boat started an get away. But I didn't walk on water. That's funny. Hahahah

PhilBarnett I sure can't say that your experience with cotton mouths was funny. That had to be a scary experience. I heard about similar experiences when I lived in Alabama. At least in my case they were nonpoisonous snakes. I thought those guys were just dumping buckets of water in the boat until the guy on the other end of my 12ft. Jon boat jumped out .......then I saw 40 or more snakes coming to my end of the plywood boat. I grabbed the boat paddle and started beating them ...there were big ones, mediums size ones and little ones and they were all coming right at me. It is a wonder I didn't knock a hole in the bottom of the boat. I grabbed my gear and jumped when I realized there was no stopping the snakes. Everybody was laughing their head off at me. Later they threw snakes in the tent with me. I ruined the tent with a hole shaped like a man running for his life...hahaha. It stopped when my brother charged me with a snake and I threw a rock 30 yards and knocked it out of his hand and told him the next one would be right between his eyes. I was good at hitting anything with a rock and they knew it. The snake pranks ended right there. 45 years later they all still laugh about my fear of snakes even the non venomous ones.

One day when I was deer hunting in Alabama (it was December, but the temperature was about 70), I came upon a guy at an old strip mine who was wearing hip waders and had a fishing rod in one hand and a 12 gage shotgun in the other. I jokingly asked if he was hunting or fishing. He said that he was fishing but carried the shotgun for water moccasins because every time he went to the small strip mine pond at this site, the moccasins came after him. He pointed at some cattails and said the pond is right there in that swampy area. i took one look at the weed infested swamp and said there is no way I would go fishing in there. He said, but it is really good fishing. We talked awhile and I headed to my car. I hadn't gone far when I heard "kaboom" from the shotgun and knew that he was being attacked by snakes again.

WVPapaw

Feb 22, 2013
Hills of WV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I forgot to ask if any got in the boat....???

OP
OP
PhilBarnett

PhilBarnett

Oct 6, 2012
Englewood
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I forgot to ask if any got in the boat....???

No none of them got in the boat but it wasn't from the lack of trying. I was whipping them with my rods. But scared the far out of me. I never knew until that time that they could be that aggressive. I don't know how many of them was coming of the bank toward my boat but it was unreal. Luckily I got the boat started and got out of there way before the majority got close to the boat. I don't know if it was mating season for them or what but I sure learned a lesson about them when I was out fishing after that and always kept my eyes out for them after that. I am from East Tennessee and I thought I knew the difference between cotton mouths and water moccasin. But most of what we have around here are water moccasin and not cotton mouth. After that time any time I was out fishing I could spot them and often a lot of them. But that one time I just could not believe how aggressive they were. I hate snakes of any kind as you do.

OP
OP
PhilBarnett

PhilBarnett

Oct 6, 2012
Englewood
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Phil,
I see from the brands area that you've been at this Quest for some time and are Determined to succeed! Good on Ya!

Have you contacted White's Electronics in Sweet Home Oregon? I know you've talked with other dealers but I mean have you gone to The Source in Sweet Home? If not I would recommend doing just that. You've explained on this site your life's challenges so I know you can communicate and I know that you Will take your desires to a good conclusion. It seems to me that contacting "the source" would have some good possibility of coming up with some new views on the topics of all your concerns/needs including how to make swinging the machine physically easier. Who knows they might just make a special unit for you??! If nothing else they are good people and I know they do their absolute best to take care of their customers as well as want to be customers!

With my best regards......................63bkpkr/Herb

I did send an email to whites and one of there representatives replied back with a number for me to call and I explained I needed help by email that I could not talk on a phone and sent it back to them and I have not heard a word back. But that is standard. No one like to do the email from my experience as it takes to much of there time. I have had dealers contact me here and they have been very helpful but Whites them self have NOT.

HELLO WHITES us deaf people are customers to and you may loose us to if you don't respond to us. Because we are deaf doesn't mean we are stupid. WHITES. You better be glad you have respectable dealers or you would be out of business.

You would be amazed at how some people think just that and us deaf are not worth dealing with.

WVPapaw

Feb 22, 2013
Hills of WV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No none of them got in the boat but it wasn't from the lack of trying. I was whipping them with my rods. But scared the far out of me. I never knew until that time that they could be that aggressive. I don't know how many of them was coming of the bank toward my boat but it was unreal. Luckily I got the boat started and got out of there way before the majority got close to the boat. I don't know if it was mating season for them or what but I sure learned a lesson about them when I was out fishing after that and always kept my eyes out for them after that. I am from East Tennessee and I thought I knew the difference between cotton mouths and water moccasin. But most of what we have around here are water moccasin and not cotton mouth. After that time any time I was out fishing I could spot them and often a lot of them. But that one time I just could not believe how aggressive they were. I hate snakes of any kind as you do.

Phil, I thought cotton mouth and water moccasin were the same thing. What is the difference?

My son had some friends who were hunting in Alabama...turkey hunting I think..anyway they entered a dry creek bottom and moccasins started dropping out of trees all around them. They started shooting the snakes that kept coming until they ran out of shells and promptly evacuated the area. Another guy told me a story of finding moccasins swarming in a big ball in a lake. He said it was like they were having an orgy or something. Must have been mating season.

OP
OP
PhilBarnett

PhilBarnett

Oct 6, 2012
Englewood
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Phil, I thought cotton mouth and water moccasin were the same thing. What is the difference?

My son had some friends who were hunting in Alabama...turkey hunting I think..anyway they entered a dry creek bottom and moccasins started dropping out of trees all around them. They started shooting the snakes that kept coming until they ran out of shells and promptly evacuated the area. Another guy told me a story of finding moccasins swarming in a big ball in a lake. He said it was like they were having an orgy or something. Must have been mating season.

The common water moccasin we have around this are are just the common water snake. Have long thin tail and diameter is not very big. Sharp tail not blunt. Non poisonous. When you open there mouth it doesn't have the white cotton ball look to its mouth. The cotton mouth is just what it's name came from when they open there mouth looks like a cotton ball. It head is different and the tail is very blunt as with all poisonous snakes. The body diameter is very fat. The cotton mouth is more grey looking then the lighter brown of the moccasin. A lot of people call the moccasin a cotton mouth and vise a versa. But not the same snake at all. Moccasin will try to get away from you and the cotton mouth are not that scared of you and can be very aggressive.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am like you I am 68 and when I get tired I switch arms. Due to severe surgery my muscles in my right pec area were cut and moved to my neck so I have trouble lifting but with practice I can go for over an hour with my right arm. I always go light with no more than my pointer and a trowel. That way i don't get tired carrying to much stuff. I see some guys with tool belts and other gear they wear while detecting and the more you carry the quicker you get tired

OP
OP
PhilBarnett

PhilBarnett

Oct 6, 2012
Englewood
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am like you I am 68 and when I get tired I switch arms. Due to severe surgery my muscles in my right pec area were cut and moved to my neck so I have trouble lifting but with practice I can go for over an hour with my right arm. I always go light with no more than my pointer and a trowel. That way i don't get tired carrying to much stuff. I see some guys with tool belts and other gear they wear while detecting and the more you carry the quicker you get tired

Getting old is sure not what like I had hoped for it to be. Not sure how they call it the golden years! Had had hope for the fun to begin when I retired but now we got to get up before we have the fun and that's the hard part for a lot of days.lol. Got to keep on trying though.

WVPapaw

Feb 22, 2013
Hills of WV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The common water moccasin we have around this are are just the common water snake. Have long thin tail and diameter is not very big. Sharp tail not blunt. Non poisonous. When you open there mouth it doesn't have the white cotton ball look to its mouth. The cotton mouth is just what it's name came from when they open there mouth looks like a cotton ball. It head is different and the tail is very blunt as with all poisonous snakes. The body diameter is very fat. The cotton mouth is more grey looking then the lighter brown of the moccasin. A lot of people call the moccasin a cotton mouth and vise a versa. But not the same snake at all. Moccasin will try to get away from you and the cotton mouth are not that scared of you and can be very aggressive.

We do call them water snakes here in West Virginia...at least in the Ohio Valley area. Down South water moccasins are used as an abbreviation for cotton mouth water moccasin. I had a friend who was retrieving a golf ball while playing golf and one bit him on the arm. He was hospitalized and his arm swelled up as big as his upper leg. You were lucky they did not get in the boat with you.

OP
OP
PhilBarnett

PhilBarnett

Oct 6, 2012
Englewood
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's funny how people use different terms. After I posted above I did a search on found that the water moccosin is termed as the cotton mouth but in this area of Tennessee most people use the term water moccasin for the common water snake and the cotton mouth as the poisonous snake. Also when I looked the up bi found that the colors are very wide variety from light brown, dark brown, gray and black. Was pretty interesting to find all the different info on them.

WVPapaw

Feb 22, 2013
Hills of WV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's funny how people use different terms. After I posted above I did a search on found that the water moccosin is termed as the cotton mouth but in this area of Tennessee most people use the term water moccasin for the common water snake and the cotton mouth as the poisonous snake. Also when I looked the up bi found that the colors are very wide variety from light brown, dark brown, gray and black. Was pretty interesting to find all the different info on them.

The color variation worries me about cotton mouths because it makes them harder to distinguish .....for me anyway. In Alabama they sort of resemble the color pattern of a copperhead or timber rattler. People there said they were black but I never saw one that was all black. We put in a garden pond and I would go down in evening and feed fish and listen to frogs. One evening the frogs were gone. I threw fish food in pond and fish came after it. Then cotton mouths came after the fish. I caught one in a fish net and killed it with a hoe. I got the other one in a net but it got out. My wife came down to help. She took net and I had hoe. Snake came up out of water and she tried to net it. She had net under water when snake raised up between her and the net and had the nastiest look I ever saw. I warned her and when she saw it, she almost lost it, but her yell scared the snake back under the water. It took a couple days for me to get the snake. For the next few years, I always killed at least one cotton mouth and finally over one winter tore out the pond.

OP
OP
PhilBarnett

PhilBarnett

Oct 6, 2012
Englewood
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of what is around here that I have seen are reddish orange brown and like you does e resemble copper head and rattler patterns. The ones I saw in Arkansas were more of the grey to black variety. Another thing I read while searching was the water snake swims with it hear under the water but the cotton mouth being a pit viper swims with it head above water. ALS the eyes of the water snake pupils are round and the pupil of the cotton mouth are slits.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread