Metal detector harness or slings!

PhilBarnett

Oct 6, 2012
Englewood
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Fisher Gold Bug, Garretts ACE-350 and Garrett's pinpointer pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a new question for some of you that may be like myself. Does any one use a gun sling, weed eater shoulder strap or any kind of support (hip mount or shoulder) to take the weight of the metal detector of your arm. I am retired now and my old body is not what it use to be. Bad shoulders back and hips. Lol. If so how do they work for you or do they just get in the way and more trouble than they are worth.

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet

Upvote 0

Digger2

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2013
Vacherie Louisiana
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS,Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500 ,
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett pointer
Garrett Pro Pointer
Detectorpro Uniprobe

Vibra-tector 730
Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Years ago, I bought one. I have come to consider it to be the most useless thing I have ever bought for my MD hobby. It was uncomfortable, and a general pain in the lower posterior.
I probably had the wrong one, but it was the one recommended by the dealer to take the weight off. Now that I am retired I use a different approach. When my right arm gets tired I switch arms for a short period of time. It seems that the more hours I put in, the more hours I can put in. Conditioning the old body to my MD swings.
I am right handed, and of the attitude that when my right arms start getting really tired, a nice ring or silver is not far away!

Roy

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I bought one The Swingy Thingy... tied me to much to the detector and it was hard to dig with it on....gave it away.
Gary

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought one The Swingy Thingy... tied me to much to the detector and it was hard to dig with it on....gave it away.
Gary

In theory it sounds like a good idea. I think Gary hit the nail on the head though, it would get in the way when trying to kneel and dig and pick up and put down the detector. Especially in wooded.brushy areas. I don't even like being tethered to the headphones.

OP
OP
PhilBarnett

PhilBarnett

Oct 6, 2012
Englewood
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Years ago, I bought one. I have come to consider it to be the most useless thing I have ever bought for my MD hobby. It was uncomfortable, and a general pain in the lower posterior.
I probably had the wrong one, but it was the one recommended by the dealer to take the weight off. Now that I am retired I use a different approach. When my right arm gets tired I switch arms for a short period of time. It seems that the more hours I put in, the more hours I can put in. Conditioning the old body to my MD swings.
I am right handed, and of the attitude that when my right arms start getting really tired, a nice ring or silver is not far away!

Roy

Roy the most useful tool for me is is a small fold up canvas set that I can set down on to rest. Lol I do lots of resting.

OP
OP
PhilBarnett

PhilBarnett

Oct 6, 2012
Englewood
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I figured it would be more of a problem to use that it was worth. But might be handy just toting the detector from place to place. Lol

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought the Detecting Buddy to take the weight off my E-trac with a WOT coil. Best $20 I've spent lately. It doesn't get in the way kneeling or recovering a target. My only minor nit is that it's not as comfortable as it could be with a little modification of design. You might want to give it a try for $20.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a harness shoulder strap for some of my land detectors to support the weight and all I need to do is swing.

OP
OP
PhilBarnett

PhilBarnett

Oct 6, 2012
Englewood
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found one called a limb saver that looks like it would work pretty well. Anyone trie one of them?

OP
OP
PhilBarnett

PhilBarnett

Oct 6, 2012
Englewood
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would be cool if you were working in water!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been using harness for years I wear a camelpac and connect harness to it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I only use a support strap with my 2Box. It was purchased at the Good Will Store. It was a strap with a big shoulder pad meant for carrying a valise. It carries all the weight, I merely keep my hand just under the rod. I can work it all day. As far as my XLT and SurfastmasterPI, I can swing them all day with no problem. Mother nature has been kind to me in some ways, being 75. Frank...

111-1 profile.jpg

cambell

Tenderfoot
Feb 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a black hawk single point from walmart for $20 when I go in the water. When on the land I don't use it.

WVPapaw

Feb 22, 2013
Hills of WV
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, pro pointer, and two dowsing rods.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a new question for some of you that may be like myself. Does any one use a gun sling, weed eater shoulder strap or any kind of support (hip mount or shoulder) to take the weight of the metal detector of your arm. I am retired now and my old body is not what it use to be. Bad shoulders back and hips. Lol. If so how do they work for you or do they just get in the way and more trouble than they are worth.

I have been thinking about getting one. I have a compound bow sling that might work. Also have an old weed eater strap that might work too. Will let you know and maybe take a picture to illustrate if it works ok.

WVPapaw

Feb 22, 2013
Hills of WV
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, pro pointer, and two dowsing rods.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Roy the most useful tool for me is is a small fold up canvas set that I can set down on to rest. Lol I do lots of resting.

That is a great idea. I have one for deer hunting and will try it out. Might be good way for a senior to dig sitting down

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SoCal PhilBarnett, Howdy to ya!

I think the Fisher gold bug can be detached from the handle and put on your belt so likely you are needing something for the Ace 350.

Whites used to mount 'D' rings to the box via the box screws and then the detector box could be hung around the shoulder, I do not know if something like that will work with the 350. Just recently I saw a mention of a "hip stick", I googled it and there are several videos available one being from an Australian detectorist and he shows how it is used with his Minelab, it is a good demonstration. Yes there will be stuff in your way but the weight of the detector now goes to your waist and the bungee cord is relatively easy to remove. Check it out and see if it may be of use to you. Good Luck with your quest!.........................63bkpkr

Is there a possibility of your doing some exercises to build up additional muscle to help with the support!

Last edited:
OP
OP
PhilBarnett

PhilBarnett

Oct 6, 2012
Englewood
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to every one for the ideas. I wondered what every one has tried. I don't need one for my ACE 350 but thinking I will for the whites V3I when I get it as it is considerably heavier than the ACE350. Just wondered what you all have tried and what has worked out best for you.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Phil,
I see from the brands area that you've been at this Quest for some time and are Determined to succeed! Good on Ya!

Have you contacted White's Electronics in Sweet Home Oregon? I know you've talked with other dealers but I mean have you gone to The Source in Sweet Home? If not I would recommend doing just that. You've explained on this site your life's challenges so I know you can communicate and I know that you Will take your desires to a good conclusion. It seems to me that contacting "the source" would have some good possibility of coming up with some new views on the topics of all your concerns/needs including how to make swinging the machine physically easier. Who knows they might just make a special unit for you??! If nothing else they are good people and I know they do their absolute best to take care of their customers as well as want to be customers!

With my best regards......................63bkpkr/Herb

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread