Very Old Shool Grounds

PhilBarnett

Oct 6, 2012
Englewood
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Fisher Gold Bug, Garretts ACE-350 and Garrett's pinpointer pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of you that are familiar with me at this point know that I am just getting back into detecting. Have done any Since the early 90's. I have decided to purchasing the Whites V3I. But I wanted to tell you about my hunting location that I plan to hunt out. I am 59 years old and the grammar school where I went was shut down in the mid 1960. 67 or 68 I believe it was. After it was closed it was taken over by some devil worshiping cults that came into this area and eventually the old school was burnt down. it sat on about 15 acres of land and housed at the time it was closed about 175 kids that had always been bused to school from all over the county. This was the only county school around and any one outside the city limit ares had to go to this school. It had a soft ball field, a base ball field, an area where we played basket ball. An are we had set up with boards to pitch penny's or coins what ever we had in our pocket if we were lucky enough to have money. One area where we played aintly over . Which was a game that we would take our socks off and fill them with marbles or coins or any think else we had in our pockets to give weight to the socks. Tie the top of the socks and toss them across this old building and holler ain't ly over when we tossed and the kids on the other side of the building would catch the sock. Had another area where we plied marbles and then of course some of the bigger kids played in other ares where they could hid and play with the girls. One area had huge maple trees that we climbed and set under. Then there was other areas that we just did what ever in. But my point is that this old school grounds is out in the sticks still a at this time and now has a small building where there is a county fire department that no one stay at unles there is a fire and they go pick up the equipment to go fight county fires. Most of these areas that had activity going on no one would know unless they went to school there befor it was shut down. Some of the old ball field stands and bleachers are still there and the one that are there had been relocated toward the last part of the years just before closing and the old bleachers were torn down. Again you wouldn't know these ares unless you went to school there at that time. I am frequently by there and have never seen any one metal detecting as there seem to be very few around here that metal detect. I don't think this old school grounds has been hit vey hard with any detecting or not any serious detecting any way. I can't wait to get the V3I and try it out on these grounds as any coins would mostly be prior to 1965 or so. The school was built in 1888 and as I said was on about 15 acres of land. There were always a lot of activity there because it was the only county elementary school in the county. I wish I had some one close to go and help me detect this area because I know its going to be a blast and I know all the location where the kids played. Where all the ball fields were. Where all the swing sets were with monkey bars and see saw and merry go rounds ect were located. There is no way this has been hunted out and the land is still owned by the county and it still out in the sticks and no houses very close as it is a very remote area of the county. Once I get going on it I will report back. if at that time any one that may wont to come hunt with me is more than welcome. O e thing I do know is that most of the kids alway had extra milk money or money to get a pop sickle every day. I know how they went into the cafeteria and know the route they had to take out the back door stuffing change in their pockets as the went. I also know that more ended up loosing half there money each week because of holes in there pockets. Most of the people from this area was poor but still usually had 25 or 50 cents in there pockets. I just wanted to share this story as it is true and hope it becomes a great place to hunt.

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet

Upvote 0
OP
OP
PhilBarnett

PhilBarnett

Oct 6, 2012
Englewood
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just doing some searching on the net about this area and I found that this area is part of the Trail Of Tears area where the Cherokee Indian were rounded up in the early 1800s looks like just about all this area was Cherokee land in the early days. So not telling what can be found in these rule areas.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any one that is serious about maybe hunting this area PM me and I will tell you the name of the community and a near by small town that has some pretty interesting early history. As there is also an old school in this small near by town that is no longer being used that I want to see if I can do some searching on.

I wish I was closer....sounds like a fun hunt. Looks like you have plenty of volunteers to get you to the hospital if needed....eventually! You know how detectorists are.....beep, dig the target, fill the hole, drag Phil, beep, dig the target, fill the hole, drag Phil....etc. :laughing7:

OP
OP
PhilBarnett

PhilBarnett

Oct 6, 2012
Englewood
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am checking into this area and see what I can find out while I am waiting on the time to get my new detector. if I can get it a prover to hunt I may see if I can plan a hunt for some of you that might like to come. I am going to get pictures of the area. I have already checked to make sure the property is still owned by the county and it is except about 3. 1/2 archers so there is according to property records still 11.3 acres of land there that the county owns. I am going to try to contact who ever is over the rural fire department and see if I can get permission to hunt there.

OP
OP
PhilBarnett

PhilBarnett

Oct 6, 2012
Englewood
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish I was closer....sounds like a fun hunt. Looks like you have plenty of volunteers to get you to the hospital if needed....eventually! You know how detectorists are.....beep, dig the target, fill the hole, drag Phil, beep, dig the target, fill the hole, drag Phil....etc. :laughing7:

Lol that was funny. I'm not in that bad of shape but I will Carry the nitro pills just in case more time is needed to drag me. Lol

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am checking into this area and see what I can find out while I am waiting on the time to get my new detector. if I can get it a prover to hunt I may see if I can plan a hunt for some of you that might like to come. I am going to get pictures of the area. I have already checked to make sure the property is still owned by the county and it is except about 3. 1/2 archers so there is according to property records still 11.3 acres of land there that the county owns. I am going to try to contact who ever is over the rural fire department and see if I can get permission to hunt there.
I'm so sure I would start asking permission if it's on public land. You ask enough people, you're bound to get a "NO" from somebody. Even if you know the person you're asking, he might ask his boss who asks his or some archie or county historian and ....you know how that will turn out! I'd look up the county ordinances myself and if there is nothing specific about metal detecting, I'd just do it.....discretely.....you know.....off hours and with care about returning the grounds as they were. Pick up the trash to show anyone who might happen by.

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm so sure I would start asking permission if it's on public land. You ask enough people, you're bound to get a "NO" from somebody. Even if you know the person you're asking, he might ask his boss who asks his or some archie or county historian and ....you know how that will turn out! I'd look up the county ordinances myself and if there is nothing specific about metal detecting, I'd just do it.....discretely.....you know.....off hours and with care about returning the grounds as they were. Pick up the trash to show anyone who might happen by.

Cudamark you mean NOT so sure ....Right.

Cudamark

OP
OP
PhilBarnett

PhilBarnett

Oct 6, 2012
Englewood
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think my first approach is to just check the county ordinance in general. I did the same with the city and there is no ordinance on metal detecting. But the stand verbiage about digging and unearthing. As for this specific site if any one is at the fire hall I will ask but I have never seen anyone around there unless there was a fire and then there is a response from the rural volunteers. But I do want to know what the county ordinance or code are. Just as with national parks here there are certain areas you can detect in. Just good to know the law.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
PhilBarnett

PhilBarnett

Oct 6, 2012
Englewood
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who Hoooo! I got permission to detect on my old school grounds. Not to take a party on the grounds but ok to take a friend. Just as I thought. Since the fire hall was built there there has not been any or very little activity on the grounds. I was asked not to damage the grounds and use good ethics and there would be no problem. So I have a name if any one ask what I am doing there that it is ok. This is exciting for me as I know the history on these grounds and now I just got to get the detectors I am going to purchase and have at it.

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Who Hoooo! I got permission to detect on my old school grounds. Not to take a party on the grounds but ok to take a friend. Just as I thought. Since the fire hall was built there there has not been any or very little activity on the grounds. I was asked not to damage the grounds and use good ethics and there would be no problem. So I have a name if any one ask what I am doing there that it is ok. This is exciting for me as I know the history on these grounds and now I just got to get the detectors I am going to purchase and have at it.

Cool! Where are you in TN? I'm in Cinci, but pccasionally get down to Nashville, or the Knoxville Gatlinburg area.

OP
OP
PhilBarnett

PhilBarnett

Oct 6, 2012
Englewood
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool! Where are you in TN? I'm in Cinci, but pccasionally get down to Nashville, or the Knoxville Gatlinburg area.

I'm in Englewood between Knoxville and Chattanooga.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread