Probably a dumb question, but how do you find any land/places to metal detect?

rel_1973

Greenie
Apr 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am interested in trying out metal detecting. I've been lurking on the Treasure.net forums for a little while now. It has been an informative read to be sure. I'm totally OK with shelling out up to several hundred dollars for a first metal detector and putting in the time to learn how to use it. But the one deal-breaking hesitation that keeps me from jumping in is that I have a fundamental worry about not finding any places where I'm allowed to metal detect. To give some background, I do not own a home/land, and I live in a major mid-Atlantic, suburban metropolitan area (in a county with a population over one million). In reading this forums and through web searches, I have determined that it is prohibited to metal detect in county parks. I don't know any people who own private land that they would be willing to allow me (and others) to detect upon.

I have read a few metal detecting books, and I find the suggestion that you need only go up to the front door of a property owner to ask for permission to metal detect humorous, unrealistic and terrifying (I would never have the courage to do that). I should explain that I am a shy, authority-abiding simpleton. If I were metal detecting, and someone told me 'Hey! You can't do that. Get lost', I would promptly apologize and pack up and leave. So the follow-up question I have to the one posed in my post title is whether one of the personal attributes needed to succeed in this hobby is assertiveness? I fear that the lack of access to places to search and my passive personality would probably make detecting a waste of time. I don't know how well I am expressing myself here, but I would appreciate hearing the brutal honest truth. Thank you for reading my beginner's question.

Upvote 0

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your unvarnished analysis of me, encouragement and for the suggestion to seek therapy. Coincidentally, I do see a good therapist weekly, and (though I hadn't really considered it in the context of metal detecting up until now) it might be worthwhile to discuss this topic (personality development, confidence growth, etc.) with him. Thanks again.

Good for you! I think you should take the plunge and get a detector, even if it just sits around your house, tempting you to go out of your comfort zone. Could be a nice motivational tool. Have you decided on a short list of detectors you would be interested in? I hope you continue to be a part of this forum so that we can share in your growth!

EDIT: I see you locked in on a 250, and that's a great entry machine. The pointer is a smart choice as well.

Last edited:

wainzoid

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2007
morrisons cove = smell our dairy air
'Well, if you don't have any public place to detect, and you don't see yourself getting permission from private property, it would seem silly to get into the hobby. And that's a shame, because it can really be an exciting experience, especially if you are fond of history. Are you content with your personality and confidence level? If not, you might benefit by spending that extra money on some therapy or at least self help books/programs.'

Thanks for your unvarnished analysis of me, encouragement and for the suggestion to seek therapy. Coincidentally, I do see a good therapist weekly, and (though I hadn't really considered it in the context of metal detecting up until now) it might be worthwhile to discuss this topic (personality development, confidence growth, etc.) with him. Thanks again.

Don't forget to ask your therapist if you can hunt his property !

BadM0nkey

Apr 28, 2013
Andover, NJ
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE Limited Edition
Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for your posts. Based on your recommendation and those of other posters, I decided to buy a Garrett Pro Pointer along with an Ace 250. I understand the latter to be a simple, entry-level detector (kind of sounds like the less expensive main unit you recommend). Hopefully, I can learn to find some coins and the like searching with said tools, and build myself up from there, little by little with experience.

My hometown is actually adjacent to McLean and lies on the banks of the Potomac. I had no idea that there is still gold in some of the waterways in the DC area. I probably will defer gold hunting until I have gained some basic experience at 'coinshooting' and such.

I was born and raised in this area and loved reading about the Civil War growing up, but I was ignorant as to the ownership of the lands. Again, thank you for the all the great info:)

That sounds like a fine choice. I know you will be successful with the combination. Make sure to check Amazon and KellyCoDetectors.com pricing. KellyCo usually has free shipping and includes some knicknacks.

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sounds like a fine choice. I know you will be successful with the combination. Make sure to check Amazon and KellyCoDetectors.com pricing. KellyCo usually has free shipping and includes some knicknacks.

I highly disagree with suggesting Kellyco, they do not have a great track record. Bart at bigboyshobbies.net will always treat you right.

BadM0nkey

Apr 28, 2013
Andover, NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I highly disagree with suggesting Kellyco, they do not have a great track record. Bart at bigboyshobbies.net will always treat you right.

Personally I had no problems with them. In the end is doesn't matter where you go if the price is right and you get it when promised.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
...In reading this forums and through web searches, I have determined that it is prohibited to metal detect in county parks.....

Can you cite or link what code/wording it is, for your county parks, which says such a thing? I mean, does it really say "no metal detectors" in the county rules, for your county parks? And even if so, isn't there scores of cities within easy drive of you? Certainly they each have parks. And I doubt that they have "no metal detectors" rules (as few cities ever have such a thing, in the entire USA).

But you're right: if you're a person who is skittish (as you admit) to anyone questioning you, or telling you "scram", then you're going to have a hard time with this. Because this is admittedly an odd hobby that draws looks from lookie-lous. And it has admitted connotations. Yes you gotta have a touch skin some times. No you're not going to find parks with welcome mats rolled out for you, and signs saying "metal detecting welcome here, come dig holes". Just aint gonna happen. You just go where there's no specific prohibition (don't ask , look it up for yourself). Will this gaurantee that everyone loves you? No, of course not. Just like picking your nose, sometimes a little discretion in your timing is in order. You're right though, it's not for everyone, in PARKS that is. For beaches or private land, you'll feel less of an eye-sore.

OP
OP
R

rel_1973

Greenie
Apr 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you cite or link what code/wording it is, for your county parks, which says such a thing? I mean, does it really say "no metal detectors" in the county rules, for your county parks? And even if so, isn't there scores of cities within easy drive of you? Certainly they each have parks. And I doubt that they have "no metal detectors" rules (as few cities ever have such a thing, in the entire USA).

But you're right: if you're a person who is skittish (as you admit) to anyone questioning you, or telling you "scram", then you're going to have a hard time with this. Because this is admittedly an odd hobby that draws looks from lookie-lous. And it has admitted connotations. Yes you gotta have a touch skin some times. No you're not going to find parks with welcome mats rolled out for you, and signs saying "metal detecting welcome here, come dig holes". Just aint gonna happen. You just go where there's no specific prohibition (don't ask , look it up for yourself). Will this gaurantee that everyone loves you? No, of course not. Just like picking your nose, sometimes a little discretion in your timing is in order. You're right though, it's not for everyone, in PARKS that is. For beaches or private land, you'll feel less of an eye-sore.

Tom, thanks for your post and for sharing your perspective. I think you are right in that I need to be less self-conscious about searching if I am going to enjoy doing so. As it turns out, I misspoke/have to qualify what I originally wrote - Here is the link to the actual county regulations:

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/parks/parkpolicy/app7regs.pdf

It's a big county population-wise. So who knows, maybe another poster here has dealt with the county bureaucracy and gotten official permission? More likely, I'm guessing people just ignore the regulations?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

Well it appears that your county is one of the rare counties in the USA, with anything that specific, to actually say "no metal detectors" (no doubt, because person(s) in the past went and asked "can I?", leading to this being added).

But it says you can do so with their permission. So presto, you're going to look for your wife's wedding ring she just lost, RIGHT? They ought to say ok to that nobel cause :) And if you find any coins along the way, they're only modern coins RIGHT?

Once you get that ok to look for your wife's wedding ring, then just hunt after 6pm, or early Sunday am's, etc.... I highly doubt anyone will even glance twice at you. And if they did, presto, you've got that permission afterall. Just don't be a nuisance, don't wear a big red x on your back, etc..

But if you don't to hassle with that: that particular citation is only for the county parks. As such, it wouldn't have anything to do with city parks. And rarely do city parks have such specifics. Do as you did with this one, and look it up for yourself. If the city is too small to have a website (or a detailed one anyhow), then the charter, codes, etc... are usually available in binder form somewhere at city hall for public viewing. And again, once you see no prohibitions, still use some sense: don't go waltzing over beach blankets during an archaeologist convention, etc....

OP
OP
R

rel_1973

Greenie
Apr 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well it appears that your county is one of the rare counties in the USA, with anything that specific, to actually say "no metal detectors" (no doubt, because person(s) in the past went and asked "can I?", leading to this being added).

But it says you can do so with their permission. So presto, you're going to look for your wife's wedding ring she just lost, RIGHT? They ought to say ok to that nobel cause :) And if you find any coins along the way, they're only modern coins RIGHT?

Once you get that ok to look for your wife's wedding ring, then just hunt after 6pm, or early Sunday am's, etc.... I highly doubt anyone will even glance twice at you. And if they did, presto, you've got that permission afterall. Just don't be a nuisance, don't wear a big red x on your back, etc..

But if you don't to hassle with that: that particular citation is only for the county parks. As such, it wouldn't have anything to do with city parks. And rarely do city parks have such specifics. Do as you did with this one, and look it up for yourself. If the city is too small to have a website (or a detailed one anyhow), then the charter, codes, etc... are usually available in binder form somewhere at city hall for public viewing. And again, once you see no prohibitions, still use some sense: don't go waltzing over beach blankets during an archaeologist convention, etc....

Tom, thanks for the information and the ideas:) This online forum really is a great resource, because it lets readers (especially beginners) draw upon the collective experience, knowledge and creative thinking of so many others that have been there before, so to speak. I'm glad I found it.

OP
OP
R

rel_1973

Greenie
Apr 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ordered an Ace 250 and a Pro Pointer from Kellyco last evening. I've read mostly good things about them on online forums like treasurenet.com, and I was pretty impressed by their website. Hopefully, I will have a good experience with buying from them. My order shipped today, and I'm naturally chomping at the bit to receive my gadgets. Anyhow, now my question is: what are the first things I should do after (of course) reading the owner's manual? I have no experience with detecting, and am wondering if folks could suggest some 'baby steps' to me (keeping in mind that I would like to build myself up for success little by little (that's how I usually learn things best). Thanks in advance for any ideas you might be willing to share with me.

BadM0nkey

Apr 28, 2013
Andover, NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ordered an Ace 250 and a Pro Pointer from Kellyco last evening. I've read mostly good things about them on online forums like treasurenet.com, and I was pretty impressed by their website. Hopefully, I will have a good experience with buying from them. My order shipped today, and I'm naturally chomping at the bit to receive my gadgets. Anyhow, now my question is: what are the first things I should do after (of course) reading the owner's manual? I have no experience with detecting, and am wondering if folks could suggest some 'baby steps' to me (keeping in mind that I would like to build myself up for success little by little (that's how I usually learn things best). Thanks in advance for any ideas you might be willing to share with me.

Find a piece of ground that is clean and seed one of each coin, a pull tab, a bottle cap, a nail and a piece of aluminum foil on the surface and practice pinpointing and listening to the sounds.

OP
OP
R

rel_1973

Greenie
Apr 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Find a piece of ground that is clean and seed one of each coin, a pull tab, a bottle cap, a nail and a piece of aluminum foil on the surface and practice pinpointing and listening to the sounds.

Sounds like a great idea for a first lesson! Like with learning many other skills, I'm guessing that with detecting there is no substitute for hands on practice, practice and more practice..... Thanks:)

BadM0nkey

Apr 28, 2013
Andover, NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know some people will take issue with this but I dig every target regardless of the sound. This is especially important for a newbie because you will find that the same type of target can sound different depending upon the conditions and how it is situated. I have also had multiple targets in one hole and if you ignore what sounds like a nail you might miss a quarter. Make sure to keep all the trash along with the treasure and dispose of it when you are done. I can't tell you how many rusty nails there are where kids play.

If I am working in an urban area like the grass strip between a sidewalk and roadway, I always make sure to define the location of a target in two directions that are 90 degrees apart. This helps to eliminate things like underground wires and pipes that will usually sound off in a line instead of a point.

Oh yeah,and IMO you shouldn't spend $35-$40 on a magical digging tool. You can get an awesome digger with a serrated edge for cutting out grass plugs for $5 to $10 at your local home center or hardware store. Mine is from Ames and is slightly curved to make it easy to cut out 4" - 6" diameter plugs. It is called the "Planter's Pal™ Multi-Purpose Garden Tool". For the same $35 to $40 you can get a good hand digger, #2 shovel and rechargeable batteries with charger!

Last edited:

primetime21

Mar 10, 2013

Nothing wrong with Kellyco. I've bought many things from them. Fast free shipping. Never bought anything from Bart's but I'm sure being in the business to make money and people happy they're I'm sure just as good.

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing wrong with Kellyco. I've bought many things from them. Fast free shipping. Never bought anything from Bart's but I'm sure being in the business to make money and people happy they're I'm sure just as good.

I don't want to hijack this thread with anti-Kellyco propaganda, but they left a bad taste in my mouth. Ordered an item that was in stock, got charged, tried to get a tracking number, "back ordered 2-3 weeks", canceled order, took 3 calls and a month to get my money back....

I thought maybe it was an isolated incident, but if you take a look at the Kellyco section of this forum, there are countless users with similar stories and warnings to stay away. If you go to Bart's (BBH) it is filled with praise and good experiences. That's likely why Kellyco uses a variation of Bart's website to redirect to their own. If you prefer moral business practices, then yes, there is something wrong with Kellyco.

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
Being in metro DC isn't the best, but some places must be legal. I know all of DC proper is considered Federally owned & off limits. Suburbs may have historic sites, or govt buildings where they might not want unknowns outdoors nearby.

Try checking the Virginia sub-forum near the bottom of T-Net for possible detecting partners, clubs, dealers, more info on laws & how to research. Best wishes, George (MN)

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro
Sent you a PM. I live in Loudoun County (moved here last fall from Chicago area). When I lived in Illinois, it was indeed easy to find many places and pull a lot of goodies. Here there are better goodies, but it is much more difficult to find places to hunt and understand the area. I have found a few public areas to hunt and have my eye on a few others. Best long term solution is to get permission to hunt private properties sorry to say.

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro
Oh yeah,and IMO you shouldn't spend $35-$40 on a magical digging tool. You can get an awesome digger with a serrated edge for cutting out grass plugs for $5 to $10 at your local home center or hardware store. Mine is from Ames and is slightly curved to make it easy to cut out 4" - 6" diameter plugs. It is called the "Planter's Pal™ Multi-Purpose Garden Tool". For the same $35 to $40 you can get a good hand digger, #2 shovel and rechargeable batteries with charger!

I went through 4-5 cheap diggers, either breaking them or bending them. Then I shelled out the $40 for a Lesche and it was money well spent. Does not so much as even bend. I also got a WW manufacturing Sampson Shovel -- again money well spent. I want to be able to dig cleanly, quickly, and inconspicuously. While I normally don't take the Sampson Shovel in a grassy park, for those who do, it looks a whole lot better to the public than a standard run of the mill shovel.

gold diggr

Greenie
Jun 7, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter Discovery 1100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i say get out there and start swinging (but not at people) you can do this. if someone came to my door asking if they could detect, i would say sure, as long as you leave it the way you found it. Go to city parks and around picnic tables. If there is a chip wagon on an earthen ground, go there after they close because people drop change all the time.
Happy hunting :thumbsup:

gold diggr

Greenie
Jun 7, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter Discovery 1100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i say get out there and start swinging (but not at people) you can do this. if someone came to my door asking if they could detect, i would say sure, as long as you leave it the way you found it. Go to city parks and around picnic tables. If there is a chip wagon on an earthen ground, go there after they close because people drop change all the time.
Happy hunting :thumbsup:

Here is a list of places to think about:

Churchyards
Parks
Schoolyards
Playgrounds
Fairgrounds
Picnic Areas
Old Military Bases/Training Grounds
Recreational Vehicle Parks
Amusement Parks
Carnival Sites