Probably a dumb question, but how do you find any land/places to metal detect?

rel_1973

Greenie
Apr 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am interested in trying out metal detecting. I've been lurking on the Treasure.net forums for a little while now. It has been an informative read to be sure. I'm totally OK with shelling out up to several hundred dollars for a first metal detector and putting in the time to learn how to use it. But the one deal-breaking hesitation that keeps me from jumping in is that I have a fundamental worry about not finding any places where I'm allowed to metal detect. To give some background, I do not own a home/land, and I live in a major mid-Atlantic, suburban metropolitan area (in a county with a population over one million). In reading this forums and through web searches, I have determined that it is prohibited to metal detect in county parks. I don't know any people who own private land that they would be willing to allow me (and others) to detect upon.

I have read a few metal detecting books, and I find the suggestion that you need only go up to the front door of a property owner to ask for permission to metal detect humorous, unrealistic and terrifying (I would never have the courage to do that). I should explain that I am a shy, authority-abiding simpleton. If I were metal detecting, and someone told me 'Hey! You can't do that. Get lost', I would promptly apologize and pack up and leave. So the follow-up question I have to the one posed in my post title is whether one of the personal attributes needed to succeed in this hobby is assertiveness? I fear that the lack of access to places to search and my passive personality would probably make detecting a waste of time. I don't know how well I am expressing myself here, but I would appreciate hearing the brutal honest truth. Thank you for reading my beginner's question.

Upvote 0

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, if you don't have any public place to detect, and you don't see yourself getting permission from private property, it would seem silly to get into the hobby. And that's a shame, because it can really be an exciting experience, especially if you are fond of history. Are you content with your personality and confidence level? If not, you might benefit by spending that extra money on some therapy or at least self help books/programs.

wetfly

Aug 8, 2012
Dude people say " hey what are you doing " every time I go out-- sometimes its better to just beg for forgiveness rather than ask for permission! Be polite courteous and leave the area cleaner than it was when you got there! Make small holes and just get out there and get swingin!!

primetime21

Mar 10, 2013
Dude I just went over to my kids school ad found 2 clad dimes and a quarter in 20 min. ( had to leave cause my youngest had to poop) but man no one is going to shoot you if you go up and knock being polite. Worse they can say is no. Been told no so many times. My first knock I almost puked, just gotta get over it.

gigispop7

Mar 22, 2009
Oklahoma city,Ok
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Sovereign XS-2 Pro, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett AT gold, Minelab safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey just need to look around the city you live in . parks, lakes , I look for old lots where there used to be a house. drive way no house. start taking with people tell them what your doing . 99% of the time not a problem. just have to get past your front door and do it. there are places just need to know what your looking for. hope this helps.

wetfly

Aug 8, 2012
You goin back to that school after the kid takes the "poop" lol !! Love hittin my kids school! Never know whatcha gonna get there!!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am interested in trying out metal detecting. I've been lurking on the Treasure.net forums for a little while now. It has been an informative read to be sure. I'm totally OK with shelling out up to several hundred dollars for a first metal detector and putting in the time to learn how to use it. But the one deal-breaking hesitation that keeps me from jumping in is that I have a fundamental worry about not finding any places where I'm allowed to metal detect. To give some background, I do not own a home/land, and I live in a major mid-Atlantic, suburban metropolitan area (in a county with a population over one million). In reading this forums and through web searches, I have determined that it is prohibited to metal detect in county parks. I don't know any people who own private land that they would be willing to allow me (and others) to detect upon.

I have read a few metal detecting books, and I find the suggestion that you need only go up to the front door of a property owner to ask for permission to metal detect humorous, unrealistic and terrifying (I would never have the courage to do that). I should explain that I am a shy, authority-abiding simpleton. If I were metal detecting, and someone told me 'Hey! You can't do that. Get lost', I would promptly apologize and pack up and leave. So the follow-up question I have to the one posed in my post title is whether one of the personal attributes needed to succeed in this hobby is assertiveness? I fear that the lack of access to places to search and my passive personality would probably make detecting a waste of time. I don't know how well I am expressing myself here, but I would appreciate hearing the brutal honest truth. Thank you for reading my beginner's question.

Welcome from White Plains, New York! You don't need to be "assertive," you need patience and a willingness to devote time and effort to learn your machines language and the basic skills of metal detecting. I live in a very urban area (just 25-miles outside New York City), yet I have no shortage of places to hunt.

The ability to network and talk to people is way more advantageous than an assertive “Type A” personality. I have talked my way into places the public is not allowed many times. An example was the first time I went to my local library and asked the librarian for help finding old maps and histories of White Plains. She asked what I was trying to research, and when I told her I was looking for places to metal detect, she invited me to detect her property on “Battle Hill,” the site of a 1776 fight between General George Washington, and General Howe’s troops.

Do you have a local metal detecting club nearby? This is another way to network. If you post the city you live in, you’ll be surprised at how many folks are already detecting there, or within 25-miles of you. Believe me when I tell you that there are places to detect near you that you have not even thought of yet. You’ll get it figured out if you really want to do this – Good Luck!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet..JPG This is a great hobby and you will enjoy it. Even I get butterflies in the stomach the first couple times I need to ask permission and I have been at this since MD's first came out. The idea is to have fun and not think of it as making a "profit." Just ask around and find a fellow hunter to show you the ropes. Never visit his sites when he is not with you as this is like Poaching in our hobby.

OP
OP
R

rel_1973

Greenie
Apr 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
'Well, if you don't have any public place to detect, and you don't see yourself getting permission from private property, it would seem silly to get into the hobby. And that's a shame, because it can really be an exciting experience, especially if you are fond of history. Are you content with your personality and confidence level? If not, you might benefit by spending that extra money on some therapy or at least self help books/programs.'

Thanks for your unvarnished analysis of me, encouragement and for the suggestion to seek therapy. Coincidentally, I do see a good therapist weekly, and (though I hadn't really considered it in the context of metal detecting up until now) it might be worthwhile to discuss this topic (personality development, confidence growth, etc.) with him. Thanks again.

OP
OP
R

rel_1973

Greenie
Apr 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome from White Plains, New York! You don't need to be "assertive," you need patience and a willingness to devote time and effort to learn your machines language and the basic skills of metal detecting. I live in a very urban area (just 25-miles outside New York City), yet I have no shortage of places to hunt.

'The ability to network and talk to people is way more advantageous than an assertive “Type A” personality. I have talked my way into places the public is not allowed many times. An example was the first time I went to my local library and asked the librarian for help finding old maps and histories of White Plains. She asked what I was trying to research, and when I told her I was looking for places to metal detect, she invited me to detect her property on “Battle Hill,” the site of a 1776 fight between General George Washington, and General Howe’s troops.

Do you have a local metal detecting club nearby? This is another way to network. If you post the city you live in, you’ll be surprised at how many folks are already detecting there, or within 25-miles of you. Believe me when I tell you that there are places to detect near you that you have not even thought of yet. You’ll get it figured out if you really want to do this – Good Luck!'

Hello from northern Virginia! Thank you for your post. I appreciate your sharing your insights and experience (I loved reading your story:) And thanks for the encouragement. I think you are right: if I want to do this enough, I will find a way to make it work. There might be proverbial bumps in the road, but this is probably true of any new hobby/undertaking. By chance, I have roots near your neck of the woods: Most of my family is from the Bronx, and I attended Manhattan College (just down the road) for undergrad years ago. It really is a a small world as they say. I will definitely try networking as that seems to be the key way to open up opportunities for growth in this hobby. Thanks again!

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Another option is family and friends houses.

OP
OP
R

rel_1973

Greenie
Apr 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman, Thank you for the warm welcome, the tip and teaching me a bit of the etiquette:) Your enthusiasm beams through your post: I am encouraged more than ever to eschew my reservations and to jump into this hobby. Once I get started, I bet it will be like a whole new world opening up to me.

BadM0nkey

Apr 28, 2013
Andover, NJ
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE Limited Edition
Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
County, city, state and federal parks all have different rules so check them all. As long as kids aren't present schoolyards and playgrounds are a good choice. Obviously beaches both ocean and lakes. Family and friends property are great as long as you learn to cut and replace sod plugs. Get a garrett pro pointer it helps immensely.

If you are more precise about location I may be able to make specific suggestions.

OP
OP
R

rel_1973

Greenie
Apr 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
County, city, state and federal parks all have different rules so check them all. As long as kids aren't present schoolyards and playgrounds are a good choice. Obviously beaches both ocean and lakes. Family and friends property are great as long as you learn to cut and replace sod plugs. Get a garrett pro pointer it helps immensely.

If you are more precise about location I may be able to make specific suggestions.

Thanks for the information. I have done a little bit of research into these Pro Pointers. I wasn't unsure of their utility justified their cost. From what I'm hearing from you, they are definitely worth it: I guess when you pull a big scoop/plug of dirt out of the ground, it is hard to know where something small like a coin is actually located?

I reside in Fairfax County,Virginia, (adjacent to Washington, DC). You may be familiar with this region which is pretty rich historically/culturally, but I wonder how much that translates into worthwhile places to metal detect? For example, I'm guessing that searching on many of the Civil War battlefields hereabouts is probably strictly verboten? If you can give me some specific suggestions, I am all ears as they say. Thanks!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to the forum. I made flyers for work that told people I was searching for places. When I am in a conversation, I try and bring metal detecting into the subject and usually people will give you suggestions. Many say " I always wanted to try that and think this place or that place would be good to try". Now people at work ask me after my weekend if I got out and what did I find. You'll discover many people have wanted to do this hobby or some even have a detector that they really haven't used!

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Had another thought too. See if there is a local club you can join, they usually have group hunts.

BadM0nkey

Apr 28, 2013
Andover, NJ
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE Limited Edition
Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the information. I have done a little bit of research into these Pro Pointers. I wasn't unsure of their utility justified their cost. From what I'm hearing from you, they are definitely worth it: I guess when you pull a big scoop/plug of dirt out of the ground, it is hard to know where something small like a coin is actually located?

I reside in Fairfax County,Virginia, (adjacent to Washington, DC). You may be familiar with this region which is pretty rich historically/culturally, but I wonder how much that translates into worthwhile places to metal detect? For example, I'm guessing that searching on many of the Civil War battlefields hereabouts is probably strictly verboten? If you can give me some specific suggestions, I am all ears as they say. Thanks!

I still cannot believe how my Garrett ProPointer has enhanced my detecting experience. It reduces the amount of time to actually recover your taget by 80% or better (depending on the situation of course), which means you can dig 5X the number of targets in the same time frame. Knowing what I do now, I would reccommend that if you are on a fixed budget you would likely be better served by buying a less expensive main unit and getting a ProPointer than spending it all on a fancier unit.

I just spent two weeks down at Ft. Belvoir and over the weekend drove up to McLain, just up the Potomac from DC. You may be surprised to learn that there is still a lot gold in the rivers and creeks up that way. Depending upon what detector you purchase, you may want to detect the bedrock along these creeks. I ran a few buckets of flow sand through a sluice while I was there and found some very nice small flakes. It is my understanding that there are nuggets in the area that should be easily detectable by an AT Gold or one of the Fisher Gold Bugs. (I am a personnally a Garrett fan)

Keep in mind that battlefields are not all parkland. Much of it is farmland and private property these days. In many cases you should be able to detect along a roadside bordering an old battlefield without anyone bothering you.

OP
OP
R

rel_1973

Greenie
Apr 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still cannot believe how my Garrett ProPointer has enhanced my detecting experience. It reduces the amount of time to actually recover your taget by 80% or better (depending on the situation of course), which means you can dig 5X the number of targets in the same time frame. Knowing what I do now, I would reccommend that if you are on a fixed budget you would likely be better served by buying a less expensive main unit and getting a ProPointer than spending it all on a fancier unit.

I just spent two weeks down at Ft. Belvoir and over the weekend drove up to McLain, just up the Potomac from DC. You may be surprised to learn that there is still a lot gold in the rivers and creeks up that way. Depending upon what detector you purchase, you may want to detect the bedrock along these creeks. I ran a few buckets of flow sand through a sluice while I was there and found some very nice small flakes. It is my understanding that there are nuggets in the area that should be easily detectable by an AT Gold or one of the Fisher Gold Bugs. (I am a personnally a Garrett fan)

Keep in mind that battlefields are not all parkland. Much of it is farmland and private property these days. In many cases you should be able to detect along a roadside bordering an old battlefield without anyone bothering you.

Thank you for your posts. Based on your recommendation and those of other posters, I decided to buy a Garrett Pro Pointer along with an Ace 250. I understand the latter to be a simple, entry-level detector (kind of sounds like the less expensive main unit you recommend). Hopefully, I can learn to find some coins and the like searching with said tools, and build myself up from there, little by little with experience.

My hometown is actually adjacent to McLean and lies on the banks of the Potomac. I had no idea that there is still gold in some of the waterways in the DC area. I probably will defer gold hunting until I have gained some basic experience at 'coinshooting' and such.

I was born and raised in this area and loved reading about the Civil War growing up, but I was ignorant as to the ownership of the lands. Again, thank you for the all the great info:)

primetime21

Mar 10, 2013
You goin back to that school after the kid takes the "poop" lol !! Love hittin my kids school! Never know whatcha gonna get there!!

Went back lol. Lots of clad. Didn't even get 1/4 way through. That was the 3 rd time the kid had to go to the bathroom after being there a few minutes

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread