May 6, 2013
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Suggestions for detecting around Shepherdstown/Sharpsburg/Harper's Ferry, WV

Hey Gang,

Long time lurker here, enjoying all the helpful info and experience. Now I'm hoping y'all might have some suggestions for me...

I will be travelling to West Virginia next month for about a week and would like to get some detecting in while I'm there. I'll be near many of the great Civil War sites and would love to do some digging. I know of the federal park/site restrictions and am aware it's a very picked-over area. However, I'd love to try the experience and am looking for suggestions on locations that are ok to detect at. If you know of (and are willing to share) any areas that are "open" to detecting or know of any landowners that are friendly to MDers, I'd appreciate it. Also, any insight on laws regarding detecting waterways in WV/MD would be helpful.

Thanks again!!

Upvote 0

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
While I haven't done the research, I wonder if any city parks or public schoolyards are on Civil War sites? They usually don't require permission (see websites to be sure) & while they've been gone over, the AT Pro is better than most detectors. If you want to hunt private property, maybe you are more likely to get a yes if you can hunt with another detectorist who lives there. You could try asking in the WV sub-forum near the bottom of T-Net. Best wishes, George (MN)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread