Which is a better deal e-trac or ctx 3030

dakotagrappler

Jan 18, 2013
For the past year I have been swinging the Garrett GTP 1350 and have had some pretty good success and feel it is a good metal detector but I want to up grade a bit....

First I would not mind any suggestions from some of you more experienced metal detor users... (My first year detecting has taught me alot) but need some good advice...

So far here are my options used E-trac 3 years old for approx $1,000. Or a one year old CTX 3030 for $2,100.

Again, I am open to any other suggestions..

Currently I have been hunting a lot of playing fields (baseball, softball, soccer, play grounds) a few older abandon schools with permission of course and a couple of beaches by lakes. I live in North Dakota so Ocean beaches are limited haha. In the future I would like to hunt more old properties or old river crossings or forts.

With my current machine I feel very comfortable digging anything 5" and up but would not mind something that went deeper.
I have had poor success with items below that depth. Maybe I am dong something wrong.

Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, if you are going to be using it near/in water, the CTX seems like the way to go. I'm not sure how the warranties transfer on used machines, but if I were to invest $2100, I could get a brand new CTX 3030 for $2199, with tons of high quality accessories: Minelab CTX 3030 metal detector | Big Boys Hobbies. Even if you didn't need the accessories, they could be easily sold to get the wireless headphone and module, for $300

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree. Unless you need the waterproof feature and/or the GPS, I'd get the E-trac. Now if money is no object.....the 3030 would be the one I would pick. Both excellent machines, but is the 3030 $1000 better? It wasn't when I made the same decision.

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree. Unless you need the waterproof feature and/or the GPS, I'd get the E-trac. Now if money is no object.....the 3030 would be the one I would pick. Both excellent machines, but is the 3030 $1000 better? It wasn't when I made the same decision.

I opted for an E-trac as well, since I already had an AT Pro for water hunting. There seems to be little performance difference between the E and CTX, and the premium has more to do with gps, screen, battery etc. However, I based this POV off of YT reviews/comparisons, as I am far from an expert.

OP
OP
dakotagrappler

dakotagrappler

Jan 18, 2013
Is the E-trac twice the machine compared to the Garrett, what I am reading says it should be... Does anyone have personal experience comparing my current macine to the etrac?

Can someone give me some more pros for the E-trac.... Depth... IDing targets, anything for me to weigh my choicemsome more...

Detecting under water? Yes I think that would be good but I have survived so far just putting my head of the garrett in the water or not being in the water at all?

Lots to think about....

Money is always an issue but I probably could afford the CTX just trying to justify..

Thanks again...

Would love more expert opinions...

Jon G.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Twice your old machine....probably not, but even an inch or two of extra depth can be the difference in just finding clad and finding silver. I find the E-trac to be more stable than my other machines in all kinds of conditions. It's target ID is as good as any I've tried. The depth meter is a bit small for my eyesight but usable and fairly accurate. The ability to make adjustments to just about any situation is another great feature.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions