Anything besides trash on pulltab signal?

Jimmi

Apr 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone with an Ace 250 Ever dug anything besides a pull tab, can , or foil on the 5 cent/ pull tab icon? I've put in many many many hours with this detector and have yet to dig anything else in that icon. After experimenting for 5 hours today, it's safe to say I'm considering that the ignore signal. Just wondered if anyone Has had a different experience .

Upvote 0

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
some tome lay a Liberty V Nickel, A Buffalo Nickel, & a Jefferson Nickel on the ground see if you get 21's
all around.

I don't know the MXT

My sovereign was set at 444 for a Jefferson.

and a Buffalo usually was around 434 & a V around 424.

I never looked at numbers on my Explorer, so :dontknow:

call me Curious

Jeff

Ok, Hi Curious! :tongue3:

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This was an example of what I get on my MXT. Other machines may be a different VDI but they should still be solid numbers for a nickel. Pull tabs will jump all over the place. Like you said, place a nickel on the ground and see what your machine reads. Then try it over a pull tab. You should see a huge difference.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have no problems with nickels, they hit 19 in both directions solid with the V3i. The problem is gold rings hit the same solid 21-22 the same as pull tabs. My tabs do not jump around unless they are not flat in the ground. The four rings I tried to test buried with tabs gave no different signal.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

I have no problems with nickels, they hit 19 in both directions solid with the V3i. The problem is gold rings hit the same solid 21-22 the same as pull tabs. My tabs do not jump around unless they are not flat in the ground. The four rings I tried to test buried with tabs gave no different signal.

Yes. Anyone who says that pulltabs always give waffly bouncy signals, and nickels always don't, is a yes and no proposition:

Yes USA nickels are always, 100% of the time, exactly the same metalic composition and size. Pulltabs, on the other hand, come in a wide variety of sizes, shapes. brands and bends (ever try to 'bend' a nickel? NOT EASY. But pulltabs do bend and contort QUITE easily). Thus pulltabs can be irregular, bouncy, varying, etc... where as nickels tend to stay the same (relative to depth and minerals anyhow). But unbroken tabs can give a "lock-on-solid" signal JUST FINE. (relative to shape, minerals, depth, etc...). It all just depends on the exact tab, whether or not the beaver tail in intact, bent in, or bent under, etc....

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes. Anyone who says that pulltabs always give waffly bouncy signals, and nickels always don't, is a yes and no proposition:

Yes USA nickels are always, 100% of the time, exactly the same metalic composition and size. Pulltabs, on the other hand, come in a wide variety of sizes, shapes. brands and bends (ever try to 'bend' a nickel? NOT EASY. But pulltabs do bend and contort QUITE easily). Thus pulltabs can be irregular, bouncy, varying, etc... where as nickels tend to stay the same (relative to depth and minerals anyhow). But unbroken tabs can give a "lock-on-solid" signal JUST FINE. (relative to shape, minerals, depth, etc...). It all just depends on the exact tab, whether or not the beaver tail in intact, bent in, or bent under, etc....

the flat Tongues by themselves were always Spot On 444 on my sovereign.

& yes I agree each Tab, depending on shape,
like each Ring depending on Size & Content, can have it's own signal.

I disagree on Nickel content not changing.
In spite of legal Mandate , 75% copper and 25% nickel,
There is a difference
at least there was to my Sovereign. whether ground minerals change nickel,
or they played around each style change :dontknow:

Last edited:

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have an ACE 250 I used for about 4 months before I bought my AT PRO and actually did dig quite a few nickels. Listen to your tone don't go by the screen. A nickel has a very distinct tone and believe it or not after you have dug a few you know the by the tone the second you detect one. Even with my AT PRO I dig a lot of tabs and cans. I have found a few rings in the 5 cent signal as well. I can also tell you this until you have over 100 hours swinging your detector you will be unhappy it is not the miracle machine you thought you bought.

OP
OP
Jimmi

Jimmi

Apr 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an ACE 250 I used for about 4 months before I bought my AT PRO and actually did dig quite a few nickels. Listen to your tone don't go by the screen. A nickel has a very distinct tone and believe it or not after you have dug a few you know the by the tone the second you detect one. Even with my AT PRO I dig a lot of tabs and cans. I have found a few rings in the 5 cent signal as well. I can also tell you this until you have over 100 hours swinging your detector you will be unhappy it is not the miracle machine you thought you bought.

Embarrassingly I have probably put in over 200 hours with mine in less than 5 months. I have OCD, that's my excuse... Lol

hrangelotti

Tenderfoot
Mar 17, 2013
tallahassee
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i found a field that i intend to clean out about a week ago and there are pull tab signals everywhere. i've got the ace 250 also. i'm hoping for some luck but so far i think in three days of one hour hunts since i don't have a lot of time i have dug maybe 150 pull tabs and 5 pennies lol. but i'm trying so hard not to give up since this field has been used the last 30 years for special events in my area plus its not a huge field so i feel its not that terrible of a task except for the fact that every time i swing that coil within inches there is a pull tab or other trash signal :( i've only been detecting now for a few months and have mainly been checking out the tot lots in my area with great luck but i want to find gold so bad i decided to check out this field. once i work it for the next few months i will post my finds. i just hope i don't tear up the field in the mean time since there are so many signals. i try to do a small section in a different area every day so that i'm not destroying the area. good luck and wish me luck too on that gold find!! but your situation is exactly like mine.. lol i'm pretty ocd myself with trying to find something good. haha at least i have three silver rings under my belt from playgrounds but as with any detectorist i really want to find that gold.. preferrably with some diamonds? stones maybe? hahaha also when i got my ace 250 i put my rings on the ground to test plus my husbands ring and they all came up as nickel signals so always dig those nickels :)

Last edited:

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pull tabs are tricky. What Tom said is true, they can be in pieces, bent, or in various forms to make them hard to ID before you dig. Rings are concentric and usually give off a good repeatable tone/signal, but the round ring of a pull tab with the beaver tail broke off can give you the same tone/signal.

If you are in this hobby only to find gold and silver and make $$$, then you will be disappointed. I always find my gold and silver when I least expect it, which is why I like this hobby, the thrill of the hunt and the mystery!

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you ever hit a nickel you will know it. A nickel is usually a very clear ring. It takes a few to get used to it and no matter what you will dig more tabs than nickels with an Ace 250. Last summer and early fall I probably dug $2.50 worth of nickels with my Ace 250 before I bought my ATP. I also found a 14k gold ring that hit on a nickel icon.

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Because of the nickel/ring dilemma is why I set my disc to ignore everything below pulltab.. Goodbye nickels, goodbye rings, hello silver. I have found some rings that hit loud and clean with this disc. setting, but they were copper rings with plating. I can't see digging all those pulltabs in a public area so I just go for wheaties, indian heads, modern clad, and silver. If I want gold rings that is what the water detector is for and success rate of trash to rings gets a lot better.

jimzz977

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image-3641875438.jpg

image-1058516453.jpg

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need to get out of your yard and somewhere people play hard. Sports fields, beaches, schools, even parks.
Slim chance you will find gold there unless you know of somebody losing one in that particular location.
More likely to find one in the flower garden if you have one.

Biggie

Aug 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found a ring with my old ACE. Nothing spectacular, but it came up as a nickle.

The issue I have with people saying to notch out certain frequencies above iron is that the ACE 250, with a concentric coil, is not that hot at discriminating between two adjacent targets. Thus, you may get a "foil" hit, when it is really a nail and a nickle. After I bought my AT Pro, I was able to re-hunt my junky yard and find coins and other small items hidden near iron targets. My AT Pro distinguished between them, and I was able to dig the coins, small brass items, etc... that I passed upon on with the ACE. I learned my lesson on why people say to dig them all. If you had VDI on the ACE, you could get a bit better visibility to what's in the ground - but it's not fool proof either.

On a related side note, many farmers were dirt poor. I have found some cool relics on farms, but much fewer coins --- and certainly less jewelery, proportional to the amount of junk I dig.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
haha..I used to ask this same question.....If you look at my Albums....Almost ALL my gold rings were found with an ACE 250, and ALL of them were found with either a Nickle setting or on the Pulltab.

YOu just gotta be in the right place..I was hunting an abandonded swimming pool, so the Odd of me finding them were better.

Keep up the Faith!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread