Anything besides trash on pulltab signal?

Jimmi

Apr 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone with an Ace 250 Ever dug anything besides a pull tab, can , or foil on the 5 cent/ pull tab icon? I've put in many many many hours with this detector and have yet to dig anything else in that icon. After experimenting for 5 hours today, it's safe to say I'm considering that the ignore signal. Just wondered if anyone Has had a different experience .

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You apparently haven't Swung over a Gold Coin or Ring yet.

Not all of course , but some Gold Coins, Class Rings & other Gold Rings
come up in that range on all detectors . the Ace 250 is Not special on this

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You apparently haven't Swung over a Gold Coin or Ring yet.

Not all of course , but some Gold Coins, Class Rings & other Gold Rings
come up in that range on all detectors . the Ace 250 is Not special on this

The above is not the only gold that will come up as pull tabs, being a gold prospector I can tell you from experience that natural gold nuggets can do the same on many VLF detectors.

That being said I would be very surprised if you find a natural gold nugget in PA., but all of the other gold mentioned is not out of the question.

fadetoblack

Apr 1, 2013
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the bounty tracker iv and my white gold wedding ring sounds a low tone. I never dig anything but high pitched and clear. Maybe I should be digging low tones but every time I do I get some sort of garbage. Iron maybe? Just getting into this so I have lots of learning to do.

May 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350
Minelab quattro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hit this when wife and I dug up a watch of which fell apart so nothing special except the gold flakes floating on the ground.......like fairy dust.....sigh......one day I might get me some dust in these hills.......

OP
OP
Jimmi

Jimmi

Apr 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I will never dig up that gold ring or coin.. Im getting a sharpie and blacking out that signal.. Lol

OP
OP
Jimmi

Jimmi

Apr 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So it sounds like it's either gonna be trash or it's gonna be gold! Isn't that funny? Such extremes .

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So it sounds like it's either gonna be trash or it's gonna be gold! Isn't that funny? Such extremes .
Detectors are incapable of lying.... you just have to figure out what they are telling you! ALWAYS dig a 5 cent signal and you too will be showing the pics of gold rings and things you almost passed up. TTC

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No pulltabs=No gold.

OP
OP
Jimmi

Jimmi

Apr 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Detectors are incapable of lying.... you just have to figure out what they are telling you! ALWAYS dig a 5 cent signal and you too will be showing the pics of gold rings and things you almost passed up. TTC

I dug every solid pulltab / gold/ 5 cent signal I got today.... And Got an arsenal of pull tabs, cans, and foil. Honestly I guess I'll pass up digging up that gold ring , if the ratio is 300 pieces of trash to 1 ring. Maybe if I get a pro pointer , and can save myself time with each dig , I'll dig them more . Luckily I'm more interested in the relics which signal quite differently.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I dug every solid pulltab / gold/ 5 cent signal I got today.... And Got an arsenal of pull tabs, cans, and foil. Honestly I guess I'll pass up digging up that gold ring , if the ratio is 300 pieces of trash to 1 ring. Maybe if I get a pro pointer , and can save myself time with each dig , I'll dig them more . Luckily I'm more interested in the relics which signal quite differently.

Jimmi, well as I read your title and post, I just "knew" that others would answer your post/question with "dig pulltabs till your arms fall off, lest you miss a gold ring or gold coin". Or "here's a gold ring I found at tab range" and so forth. And sure enough, those admonitions soon followed.

But no, as you yourself have discovered, the advice of "lower your disc. and dig foil and tabs till your arms fall off" is HARDLY the recipe for fun and gold rings. Heck, even your concellation price of raising the disc. and settling on "relics" will also cause others to bristle. Afterall, some relics (that might be quite nice) *could possibly* also read in the pulltab range! Doh!

Let's cut to the chase: It's already a GIVEN that gold rings and smaller gold coins read in the low (tab, nickel, foil, etc...) range. So to give a newbie that as a supposed "recipe" for finding "gold rings and smaller gold coins" is hardly the recipe for success at finding said-objects. Because as you have deduced, you can dig 1000 tab signals in the average junky blighted park, and guess what you'll find?? TABS (and assorted can slaw, foil wads, beaver tails, blah blah blah). Sure, the 1001 signal *might* be a gold ring, but is that your idea of fun? You'll get kicked out of the park before you EVER find a gold ring (or gold coin or whatever). I can think of parks and blighted zones where this is pure folly!

So no, the admonition to always keep your disc. low, is only HALF THE RECIPE. The much BIGGER part of the "recipe" is WHERE you hunt. If you hunt places where gold rings (or gold coins, or whatever) are more likely to occur/be, then .... doh ... your ratios won't be quite as punishing. For example: swimming beaches (especially in wading waters) will be FAR AND AWAY much better for gold rings, than blighted junky inner city parks (especially ratty zones around BBQ pits and garbage cans). Or an old stage stop in the middle of the desert or ghost town that no one's stepped foot on since 1870 is going to make your "heart stop" when you get that perfect "pulltab" signal. Or the beach after storm erosion, where mother nature has pulled out all the light stuff (goodbye pulltabs, foil, etc..) you'll be "holding your breath" at each pulltab or foil signal.

If you have no swimming beach (or "perfect" relicky sites), there are even various turf zones that are better than other turf zones. For example soccer (or any athletics that require frolicking motions) are going to be better than turf where people picnic/eat. Because when people picnic/eat, you can bet there's going to be foil and tabs. But where people do athletics and typically AREN'T eating and BBQ'ing, is less trash. Other types if inland zones are better too (if you're not not near the ocean or inland lake swimming lakes) is sand volley-ball pits & and sand wrestle pits.

OP
OP
Jimmi

Jimmi

Apr 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually was detecting in my yard and surrounding horse-field ... And that's where I collected my bucket of pulltabs, foil, and cans . And this is a rural area.. Lol Tinny foil everywhere , the barn burnt down last year and I guess alot of the tin roof floated for 1/3 of a mile. Tons of other foil buried about 4-6 inches down. Chances of gold coins wern't likely I suppose, but certainly chances of gold jewelry was possible. The house next door was built late 1700's. the farm house down below was early 1800's . You'd think somebody woulda dropped a ring somewhere.. Lol

mustangpalmer1911

Apr 12, 2011
Hop Bottom, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250

Get the pro pointer WELL worth it. I havent posted pics yet but I have been getting our for about 2 hours a day the last 2 days and it helps alot. Found my first wheat penny in the middle of the woods using it 2 days ago.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Jimmi, I started hunting in about 1976, when there wasn't even discrimination yet (well, at least my buddy and I didn't have it yet!). We were hunting with machines like the 77b, 66TR, etc... And we would hunt yards of old homes, and school grounds, etc... And since that was prior to the age of disc. for us (foil, tabs, coins, etc... ALL sounded the same) there was, therefore, no "gaming the system". The only thing we could pass was nails and small iron (d/t the nature of those old all-metal TR's). So I had firsthand experience at digging thousands of signals from random yards, and I have to say, "gold rings" was not that common. In fact, I can think of only a few, and a nice fat 10k gold bracelet in those days (and now, 35+ yrs, later, couldn't even tell you if those were high or low conductors). Point I'm trying to get at, is if gold rings are your goal, then front yards of home (and burned down barn sites) are not "conducive" sites to finding such things (per the ratio of junk you'd have to endure). They're more the realm of coins (where a little pickiness is sometimes in order, to pass foil or surface junk). But that's just me.

If you want to find gold rings and jewelry, only certain forms of turf, and /or swimming beaches is where you'll want to go.

OP
OP
Jimmi

Jimmi

Apr 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nah gold , jewelry, even coins.... Arnt my thing. Sure I'd Gladly Dig them up if i happen across them and use them to pay a bill . But it's the hand forged hook that I'll marvel over and Wouldn't sell . So big iron barn nails are to me, what pull tabs are to a person looking for gold. I have to dig em , to not miss the " gold".

bikermike

Jul 14, 2012
Stillwater, OK
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, 6.5x9 coil, 4.5 sniper coil, 5x8DD coil, Garrett AT Gold, Centec pinpointer, Garrett pro pointer, Ames digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't ignore that notch! I found two gold rings in two days in almost the same place last fall with my Ace 250. They both rang in the nickel notch. I dig nickel signals every time now. Good luck, Mike

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jimmi said:
Has anyone with an Ace 250 Ever dug anything besides a pull tab, can , or foil on the 5 cent/ pull tab icon? I've put in many many many hours with this detector and have yet to dig anything else in that icon. After experimenting for 5 hours today, it's safe to say I'm considering that the ignore signal. Just wondered if anyone Has had a different experience .

Bury your ring Jimmi and see what signal you get. I have tried this with several rings in my back yard and pull tabs of various styles and sizes. I came to the conclusion that no matter what I tried I could not tell the difference between the two with my V3i. Everytime I thought I found something that was a little different about the two I would get fooled on the next ring I tried. Good luck!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
until all meters do this and ruin the hobby

2d_coil_no_overlap.jpg

your just going to have to dig & enjoy the Anticipation & Discovery :thumbsup:

Last edited:

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Watch your VDI reading. A pull tab will usually be all over the place on the VDI. Nickels will be a solid signal. On my MXT PRO a nickel will usually read about 21 each time I swing over the target. A pull tab will read a different signal each time you go over it. Example: if it reads 32 then 18 then 41 then 58 then 38 etc.... I will pass on this and not dig it.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Watch your VDI reading. A pull tab will usually be all over the place on the VDI. Nickels will be a solid signal. On my MXT PRO a nickel will usually read about 21 each time I swing over the target. A pull tab will read a different signal each time you go over it. Example: if it reads 32 then 18 then 41 then 58 then 38 etc.... I will pass on this and not dig it.

some tome lay a Liberty V Nickel, A Buffalo Nickel, & a Jefferson Nickel on the ground see if you get 21's
all around.

I don't know the MXT

My sovereign was set at 444 for a Jefferson.

and a Buffalo usually was around 434 & a V around 424.

I never looked at numbers on my Explorer, so :dontknow:

call me Curious

Jeff

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread