Help I have been attacked by the permission police!!!!!!!!

WVPapaw

Feb 22, 2013
Hills of WV
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, pro pointer, and two dowsing rods.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:
Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

joe_dirt

Jan 15, 2013
Southeast Virginia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, Makro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Then when people see you dancing with joy after a "recovery", they'll call the men in the white coats instead of the police! :laughing7:

Haha, but you certainly won't have to worry about them confiscating your finds bag.

OP
OP
WVPapaw

WVPapaw

Feb 22, 2013
Hills of WV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe someone should make a coil cover that looks like a dog...

And your digger could be a modified pooper scooper...

Maybe a remote control dog on wheels with detector built into it.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is inherent quality's of doings things right the first time. Tom has a plan and it works. I know what I do. When Im in trouble, I am usually meteorite hunting which is perfectly legal in most places lol.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
There is inherent quality's of doings things right the first time. Tom has a plan and it works. I know what I do. When Im in trouble, I am usually meteorite hunting which is perfectly legal in most places lol.

My plan is: "out of site, out of mind". Don't make myself a big red x in need of scrutiny. Don't ask where there's no *specific* prohibitions.

Hey, as far as the "meteorite" thing, how about this one: You're looking for that boyscout ring your dad lost there when he was a kid, right? Sheesk, my dad lost a LOT of boyscout rings when he was a kid. And me, being the good son that I am, am only trying to help :thumbsup:

Seriously now though, I knew a guy who used that line and got the most comical reactions: People (rangers, police, gardeners, etc...) who might otherwise have said "you can't do that here", instead would change to reaction of smiles, wish him well, offer to go get a shovel, etc... :)

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, as far as the "meteorite" thing, how about this one: You're looking for that boyscout ring your dad lost there when he was a kid, right? Sheesk, my dad lost a LOT of boyscout rings when he was a kid.

My wife once lost a cheap ring when we were camping. Sometimes when I'm asking permission to detect a business or non-residential establishment, if my read on the people seems iffy or I'm sensing a "NO", I use the line that my wife lost a ring and it could be in the area. Technically it is not a lie, as for all I know, somehow that ring has made its way onto their property. Maybe I'm two-stepping across a moral line, but in all reality, I always show the properties I hunt the utmost respect and care. I'm just finding clever ways to recover historical pieces... kinda like Robin Hood!

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Haha that's funny. I use "my son lost his house key and I'm trying to find it before someone else does" while I'm on school property. Not a lie either.... I'm just can't remember which school he lost it at!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
if its open , non posted ( as in no--no metal detecting signs ) "public land" -- we don't need no stinking permission (badges) -- we just like anyone else are entitled to enjoy "our" public land --just like the bird watchers , football , baseball players ,hikers ,ect ,ect do -- asking for permission by its very nature implies that they have the "right" to discriminate against us by letting others do "their thing" but stop us from doing ours.

OP
OP
WVPapaw

WVPapaw

Feb 22, 2013
Hills of WV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if its open , non posted ( as in no--no metal detecting signs ) "public land" -- we don't need no stinking permission (badges) -- we just like anyone else are entitled to enjoy "our" public land --just like the bird watchers , football , baseball players ,hikers ,ect ,ect do -- asking for permission by its very nature implies that they have the "right" to discriminate against us by letting others do "their thing" but stop us from doing ours.

This is the most logical argument I have heard yet.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
thank you ---I try very hard to think logically and to make sense when I discuss "our hobby"
--and point out that the vast "public' gets to use the parks and other public owned areas freely without asking "special permission " to do so , so why should we be held to a "different standard" then the "public at large" is?--so long as we cover our holes thus doing no long term damage and are not on "documented / marked off limits publicly owned "historical areas"--we should be free to enjoy "our hobby" just like any other person enjoys theirs.

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thank you ---I try very hard to think logically and to make sense when I discuss "our hobby"
--and point out that the vast "public' gets to use the parks and other public owned areas freely without asking "special permission " to do so , so why should we be held to a "different standard" then the "public at large" is?--so long as we cover our holes thus doing no long term damage and are not on "documented / marked off limits publicly owned "historical areas"--we should be free to enjoy "our hobby" just like any other person enjoys theirs.

Be careful or the "quotation" police will come after you. :D

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
its a flaw I have I use it when I would normally "stress" a word in verbal speech -- bad habit, I know but hard for me to break.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I remember a few rejections by Tom when I advocated permission! But, Tom is from California, and they think differently there.

No harm, no foul.... We all have different opinions!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, they do things different in CA. Save a tree, use plastic! Now, To hell with the Plastic.... Kill a tree and save the land fills, (use paper). It's come full circle. NOW what!? TTC

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember a few rejections by Tom when I advocated permission! But, Tom is from California, and they think differently there.

No harm, no foul.... We all have different opinions!
I admit that our state is really screwed up in more ways than one but we can at least hunt all our beaches without a permit. If you want to see crazy detecting rules, look at New York where they DO have permits. California looks quite sane in comparison.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I would practice my theories and psychology and opinions in ANY state I come to. I do not think it's "only for CA".

I did notice however, as a young man hitch-hiking across America in 1982, one difference in the way people think and respond:

I was going through a rural part of Mississippi or Alabama. I saw a one-room school house, all closed down (like perhaps currently used as a grange hall or something, but you could tell it had been a one-room school house at one time). I thought: "That looks like a good place to detect!" There were no fences, no signs, no nothing. And presumably, it was a public building. I sat my back-pack down on the picnic bench out from, and proceeded to pull out my detector, to piece/assemble together to hunt. No sooner did I have it set up, and was checking my battery strength, than a sherrifs car pulled up! Evidentally they'd gotten a call from a curious neighbor, who saw someone in the vicinity of this school/center thing. I forget what he said to me (and whatever it was, it didn't have anything to do with metal detecting, as that wasn't the point). It was just that ........ culturally, ... people in those "back woods southern areas" tend to "look out at any outsiders with suspicion". You know, like a sort of "good old boys" mentality. For example: when the put me in the squad car (because they were going to drive me to the county line), believe it or not, the MAYOR (or council man or alderman or something) was sitting in the front seat of the squad car, accompanying this "mayberry RFD" sherrif on his rounds. It was like a scene straight out of "mississipi burning" movie, or "dukes of hazzard" or some such cultural thing. Kinda funny.

Anyhow, that sort of scene would never happen in CA. But that culture of psychology has nothing to do with the act of metal detecting. It's just pervasive of all people's, in their view of outsiders, or seeing things outside the cultural norm ("long haired CA hippy" types perhaps was their attitude?). So I can see, to a degree, that yes, states differ. But once you account for the "way to act" psychology, then the other part of this discussion (of whether we all "need permission" to hunt parks with no specific rules saying you can't), then I would apply that, across all 50 states. But yes, of course, DUE DISCRETION and OBVIOUS COMMON SENSE of your surroundings, the culture, etc... are all in order.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ever detect the "hood type area's" ? and folks say there is no "virgin ground left" ha,ha,ha just gotta "man up" and hunt em. --good finds await those bold enough to get them.

NJnuggetpirate

Bronze Member
Feb 14, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett PRO POINTER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ever detect the "hood type area's" ? and folks say there is no "virgin ground left" ha,ha,ha just gotta "man up" and hunt em. --good finds await those bold enough to get them.

Make sure you conceal carry or hand out free cans of colt 45 ahaha

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions