Do you know a metal detector under $350 that can detect coins consistanly down to 8"

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Do you know a metal detector under $350 that can detect coins consistanly down to 8"

I'm thinking about getting another metal detector, and I decided I want one with depth and it has to have idem ID. I want it to go down to a least 8" with a consistent beep. I was thinking about the fisher F2 but can it go my desired depth and are there other possibilitys?

P.S. Anyone know anything about the Teknetics Delta 4000.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BadM0nkey

Apr 28, 2013
Andover, NJ
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE Limited Edition
Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look at the ACE 350 from Garrett.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Almost any detector will get a coin down to 8" "consistently". But it depends on what you mean by "consistently". Because that will vary in soil types, be prone to factors like masking, and be dependant on how "accurate" you want that item-ID to be. Even the most POWER HOUSE deep-seekers of detectors, known for great TID, will suffer in some environments. Like the Explorer, for instance, I've had in black beach sand, where I'm lucky to get 4" on a target (and poor TID at that!). Other machines might also be reknowned for depth and ease and have TID (like the CZ6, for instance, which you can probably pick up for $350 or less on ebay nowadays), yet then you have to question how much reliance you want to put on TID. As those only have 6 or 7 "quadrants" fit-all categories, and ... have been known to be weak on deep nails (which can try to tell you are deep coins).

So your question has a lot of "it depends".

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In that price range for new, Garrett Ace 350 or Fisher F 2 are your best choices. Another $50 gets you to the Whites coin master GT.

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Ace350/ATpro/2Excalibur1000's
Eldorado/Bandito II µMax/Conquistador µMax/
Silver Sabre µMax/ Compadre/ Whites TRX & Garrett Pro-Pointer/ Lesche digger model 75 Stealth 720i & S3i Scoops
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the original poster was speaking of target ID numbers being a requirement.

The Ace series (150/250/350) does not have that feature.

That feature starts with the AT series.
But the AT series would be over the budget the original poster provided.

dugin

Apr 6, 2013
southern IL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2 w/3 coil pack
Recent Bounty Hunter Platinum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently had the same problem. I own a fisher f2 and didn't feel I was getting the desired depth. I called fisher labs and they told me the fisher f2 is only capable of maybe 6 inches on a quarter sized coin using the 10 inch coil. I was given three alternatives and they were the technetics t2 the fisher f70 and the bounty hunter platinum. I went with the bounty hunter platinum for 299.00 on ebay. I have used it and can't decide if it does any better than the fisher f2. I haven't found anything that I am certain I would not have found with the fisher f2. I've intended to bury coins to help me but haven't gotten around to it. But I do wish I would have just purchased a fisher f75.

bevo

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
eastern wa
Detector(s) used
minelab eureka,fisher f2,ace 150,fisher gold tick,whites coin classic II
My f2 will detect 8'' but will not always I.D. 8''. With an 8'' coil.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you give up the cute little screen with the digital numbers, you can go with the $170.00 Tesoro Compadre with 8" coil, or the $254.00 Silver uMax.

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a tesoro outlaw afew days ago to try out and i can only get 6 inches in an air test with it ...not real impressed

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I got a tesoro outlaw afew days ago to try out and i can only get 6 inches in an air test with it ...not real impressed

Those are not known to be depth demons. That's not their purpose. They're outstanding in iron-ridden ghost townsy type environments, where they will "run circles" around depth-demon machines ferretting out targets amidst the iron. Or under bleachers where you can snipe out coins amidst an ocean of foil and tabs, etc....

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm thinking about getting another metal detector, and I decided I want one with depth and it has to have idem ID. I want it to go down to a least 8" with a consistent beep. I was thinking about the fisher F2 but can it go my desired depth and are there other possibilitys?

Does anyone know anything about the Teknetics Delta 4000?

dugin

Apr 6, 2013
southern IL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2 w/3 coil pack
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My f2 will detect 8'' but will not always I.D. 8''. With an 8'' coil.
That was my purpose with buying the BH. I wanted a good signal at 8 inches. I have found coins 6 to 8 inches with the F2 but only at a old school location that is now a field. I found in this area if the detector gave a signal other than iron I would dig it. Other locations where other trash is abundant, such as pull tabs, cans and junk I've concluded if I were to dig all of these items I may as well get someone to plow it. For that is what I would technically be doing. I wanted something I felt would get a good signal up to 8 inches then actually stand in one spot for a good 10 minutes and detect slowly and meticulously. So far no luck.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well the T2 was mentioned and its a great lil machine. Lot more stable than my Fisher. Anywhos I want a machine that takes a 3d picture of the target and tells me what it is going for on Ebay. Maybe a one button function that automatically list and tracks my add too.

I think Terry may have your best options. I have always wanted one of the Tesoro to use also. I don't know anything about a Teknetics 4000, sorry.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Stand in one spot and detect for 10 minutes? Are you saying it should take that long for you to detect each step you make? Or you want to buy a detector that will allow you to stand in one spot for 10 minutes?

Dwight Frye

Apr 3, 2013
CHARLOTTE NC
Detector(s) used
TESORO CIBOLA
I returned a delta 4000 for a Tesoro Cibola . Make a call to dealers and you can get cheaper than advertised price . I found the vdi to.be so inaccurate to be pretty much.useless . The depth indicator was nice . The build quality on the Tesoro seems better to me . I'm new to MD about a month so take it for what its worth . Lol

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
There is a new detector, the Teknetics Eurotek Pro, that sells for $219 with 8" concentric coil, or $299 with 11" DD coil. The manual says it can get good IDs to 8", though wasn't clear to me if that was in air, most ground, or all ground. It also has special proprietary circuitry that makes it less bothered by ground minerals compared to others w/preset ground balance.

It also has special features for iron. It can be as loud as coins, weaker or silent & can detect coins very close to iron. I'm just using my bad memory, I think the site for the manual & more is tekneticst2.com/ ?? Best wishes, George (MN)

dugin

Apr 6, 2013
southern IL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2 w/3 coil pack
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stand in one spot and detect for 10 minutes? Are you saying it should take that long for you to detect each step you make? Or you want to buy a detector that will allow you to stand in one spot for 10 minutes?
I have actually stood for 10 minutes in a trash infested area trying to sort through the junk to get a good signal. No I am NOT saying everyone should do this. It paid off with the fisher f2 with a 1896 O barber quarter. Most every forum or tip I've read says to go slow and it works. But it hasn't worked with the BH platinum yet.

2013-04-01 16.26.50 (1).jpg

This is where I meant to post the pic

Last edited:

dugin

Apr 6, 2013
southern IL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2 w/3 coil pack
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you give up the cute little screen with the digital numbers, you can go with the $170.00 Tesoro Compadre with 8" coil, or the $254.00 Silver uMax.

I use the sound to detect but when I hit a good signal your "cute little screen with the digital numbers" gives a second confirmation in both the consistency of the signal and the type of signal. I like the screen and apparently many do. This is an old argument, Chevy or Ford.........

Attachments

• 2013-04-01 16.26.50 (1).jpg
    2013-04-01 16.26.50 (1).jpg
    421.5 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
try a delta 4000 * ($279) light, good depth , good id -- of course know that some items do have "similar" ids due to them have very similar "electricial conductivilty" levels --it does have a 0 to 99 numbers display , notch ability

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread