Greenie
Mar 25, 2013
Scottsdale, AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug DP
Tesoro Cutlass
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So my first detector was amazing despite the fact that I only paid $10 for it at a thrift shop. I frequently found rice grain sized pieces of metal with it. Just recently upgraded to the Fisher Gold Bug Pro DP and am still getting used to it. 3rd time out I was lucky enough to find some gold jewelry, but I was also finding staples and other similarly small pieces of metal. Is this normal for detectors? I've never heard of that before. Considering part of the reason I got it was to go nugget-shooting I think this is a good sign, but I live in AZ where the ground is highly mineralized, so I suspect if I keep running it in all metal mode it will pose a problem with this sort of sensitivity. Any suggestions or input?

Upvote 0

jayg

Mar 12, 2013
never heard of finding staples. But ya I'd say it's a great sign! good luck and hh

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
French Gulch, North Calif.
Detector(s) used
"WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some miners of the past used boxes for bottles and food stuffs. Wood crates did have some staples. A good sign of where someone lived or worked. Good Clues!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I used to find stapels with My Sovereign with the WOT coil on it.

the hardest part was getting the Sun-Ray probe & My eyes to find them.

Haven't found any recently with the Explorer, but if they are out there yet ,
I'm sure I eventually will again, if my Garrett Probe & my Eyes will allow.
if not I may just call them false or Microscopic signals, which we all get occasionally .
the biggest problem starts when we break the halo with that first thrust of the digger.

Last edited:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't remember ever finding staples with my other detectors. But with the E-Trac, I'm finding the tiny ones!!! Darned difficult to locate in the dirt unless by literal accident. Thank heavens for the ProPointer...

I guess that's a testament to the quality of modern detectors.

Jimmi

Apr 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find them with my Ace 250 , actually .. And it's annoying. I use a staple gun to winterize my bunnies cage with tarps . When I pull the tarps off staples fly around. So they are probably just under the surface .
It also found a thumb tack in the middle of the forest. That one was at least 2 inches down .

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find them with my Ace 250 , actually .. And it's annoying. I use a staple gun to winterize my bunnies cage with tarps . When I pull the tarps off staples fly around. So they are probably just under the surface .
It also found a thumb tack in the middle of the forest. That one was at least 2 inches down .

Thumb tacks & indian head cents are in the same range too :(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread