Best bottle cap and nail descrimination in dry sand for under $300?

EasyriderTX

Apr 4, 2013
DFW area
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My Teknetics Delta 4000 does a great job but again there are lots of opinions

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BadM0nkey - Whatever you decide - please consider buying one from one of
tn_02.gif
's Supporting Vendors.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In dry sand you don't want to discriminate anything but maybe iron. Just scoop and go. You'd be surprised at some of the good targets that show up in the bottle cap range.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bottle caps can be tricky- bent one and rusty ones ID differently. The Ace 350 has improved iron discrimination for small nails, I'd also consider the Fisher F2 GWP package, it comes with an extra small coil and Fisher F Point pin pointer.

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Exactly what cudamark said. In dry sand you use a sand scoop, scoop and go. There is a higher probability of rings being in the dry sand. Why disc. them out? When you disc. out bottle caps that is exactly what you will be doing. Do disc. out the iron nails though. In your price range I recommend the Tesoro Silver uMax for about $260. You do not need a display, just set the disc., listen for a clean tone, and scoop. Okay my opinion is biased because I own a silver umax. I am sure there are other detectors that will serve your needs just fine also. The Tesoro comes with a lifetime warranty. Just my 2 cents worth.

treasure search

Jan 26, 2013
MID WEST
Detector(s) used
YOU NAME IT. I'VE USED IT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There many choices ,well a few, in that price range...as for discrimination...not a good idea...too many gold chains ,earrings & small gold jewelry could be missed. ..also, steel bottle caps are famous for setting up hallo effect that fool expensive detectors with false reading. good luck!

OP
OP
BadM0nkey

BadM0nkey

Apr 28, 2013
Andover, NJ
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE Limited Edition
Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is killing me is that the local beaches are full of old pallet nails, bobby pins, twist ties, and staples in addition to the Corona caps. I can live with the caps but will I be able to eliminate some of the other stuff with a 350 or F2?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tesoro Silver uMax $255.00

OP
OP
BadM0nkey

BadM0nkey

Apr 28, 2013
Andover, NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tesoro Silver uMax $255.00

I will look into the Tesoro today since a few folks made the suggestion. As nifty as a screen is, the iron descrimination is the most important part for me. The infinium will ring on a tiny staple or 1/4" piece of rusty nail at 6 inches in the dry sand. That stuff falls right through the sand scoop it is a real pain. Thanks.

OP
OP
BadM0nkey

BadM0nkey

Apr 28, 2013
Andover, NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ended up ordering an Ace 350 for just under my budget including No Tax and No Shipping. Looking forward to having the chance to eliminate some iron.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mount a magnet inside your scoop to snag small iron junk.

OP
OP
BadM0nkey

BadM0nkey

Apr 28, 2013
Andover, NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mount a magnet inside your scoop to snag small iron junk.

That is a great idea. There are so many little bits that fall through the holes.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It`s not so much the detector that like`s the steel bottle caps...but the type of coil ...the DD coils from almost all manufactures seem to love the bottle caps...the concentric coils do a better job with them.
Gary

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread