Give it a shot, they say nothing ventured nothing gained. Good luck & HH

joe_dirt

Jan 15, 2013
Southeast Virginia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, Makro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You have a detector and some yards, just go for it. Have fun and good luck.

OP
OP
Thorne

Thorne

Dec 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems like it doesn't go very deep. Picked up one spot but its already dark out so going to dig tomorrow. Ill update when I get dirty

Last edited:
OP
OP
Thorne

Thorne

Dec 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also any tips on how to set the dials for digging. I read the manual and have a million questions.

a4wdguy

Mar 10, 2005
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TDI, DFX, M6, XLT, XL Pro, CM 6000 Di Pro, Beach Hunter ID 300, Beach Hunter ID, Surfmaster P.I.(Plus)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Therein lies the risk of the "inexpensive" detectors. Many a person has purchased a Radio Shack detector, only to put it in the closet and give up on the hobby because they couldn't find anything. The old adage "You pay for what you get" applies here.
A better approach is to purchase a used name brand detector from the 80's. In my case I bought a used White's 5900 Di blue box detector for (at the time) about $100.00. If I found I didn't like it, I could easily resell it for what I had invested. Fortunately, I loved it and progressed up to the newer, more expensive units.
Check Craigslist or Ebay for a 5900 Di Pro SL in good shape and then give it a go. You will find far more and enjoy the hobby much more with a "real" detector. And if you should decide it's not for you, believe me, you can easily get your investment back.

joe_dirt

Jan 15, 2013
Southeast Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Therein lies the risk of the "inexpensive" detectors. Many a person has purchased a Radio Shack detector, only to put it in the closet and give up on the hobby because they couldn't find anything. The old adage "You pay for what you get" applies here.
A better approach is to purchase a used name brand detector from the 80's. In my case I bought a used White's 5900 Di blue box detector for (at the time) about $100.00. If I found I didn't like it, I could easily resell it for what I had invested. Fortunately, I loved it and progressed up to the newer, more expensive units.
Check Craigslist or Ebay for a 5900 Di Pro SL in good shape and then give it a go. You will find far more and enjoy the hobby much more with a "real" detector. And if you should decide it's not for you, believe me, you can easily get your investment back.

Generally good advice, but in this case he said he borrowed it from his father in law, so there's really no reason not to give it a shot.

But as a4wdguy said, you get what you pay for, and any machine takes a bit of practice, so try not to get discouraged if you're not finding anything right away.

a4wdguy

Mar 10, 2005
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TDI, DFX, M6, XLT, XL Pro, CM 6000 Di Pro, Beach Hunter ID 300, Beach Hunter ID, Surfmaster P.I.(Plus)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
New to md. Just want to know if anyone has had any luck with the dollar store of detectors. I want to give it a go. But nit sure if I will enjoy it or not. So I borrowed a harbor freight detector from my father in law and was going to swing my and a few neighbors yards. Any info, thoughts are appreciated.

Ok, I've reviewed the owner's manual, so let's see if we can get you on track for finding stuff -

If you set the Sens (sensitivity) to midrange, that will get you started, once you get outside, you can turn it up a bit at a time until it starts making random beeps then back it down just a bit. This will give you your maximum depth.
Set Disc/Tone to the 'I' mark (9 o'clock position), this will keep the detector from responding to most iron targets, but your Mode switch also needs to be in Disc.
Setting the Mode switch to Tone will still discriminate, but it will make different tones to help identify the target.
Once you have detected a target, press and hold the red button. This is your pinpoint mode. As you hold the button and move the coil nearer the target, the steady sound will get louder and the needle will move towards the right. Make an 'X' over the target, noting the strongest signal. This is where you dig.

a4wdguy

Mar 10, 2005
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Generally good advice, but in this case he said he borrowed it from his father in law, so there's really no reason not to give it a shot.

But as a4wdguy said, you get what you pay for, and any machine takes a bit of practice, so try not to get discouraged if you're not finding anything right away.

I didn't mean to imply that he shouldn't try. Just that the cards are stacked against him, and I hate to see people give up because they couldn't find anything.
So many folks look at used detectors selling on ebay for 300 dollars or more and are afraid to invest that kind of money in something they don't even know if they'll like. And rightfully so. My purpose was mostly to explain that the truth of the matter is that if a person spends the money on a used unit and doesn't like it, chances are they can make back all of their investment. Naturally, the caveat is that you still have to shop for your best price, and not just pay top dollar, etc.

joe_dirt

Jan 15, 2013
Southeast Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I didn't mean to imply that he shouldn't try. Just that the cards are stacked against him, and I hate to see people give up because they couldn't find anything.
So many folks look at used detectors selling on ebay for 300 dollars or more and are afraid to invest that kind of money in something they don't even know if they'll like. And rightfully so. My purpose was mostly to explain that the truth of the matter is that if a person spends the money on a used unit and doesn't like it, chances are they can make back all of their investment. Naturally, the caveat is that you still have to shop for your best price, and not just pay top dollar, etc.

Agreed, let's just hope with the tips you gave him he's up and running soon.

OP
OP
Thorne

Thorne

Dec 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm new to digging but not new to electronics. I know that you get what you pay for. :-) also I've been reading on here girl a bit so I know that if you want to find something good you need good equipment. Thanks for the info it is greatly appreciated.

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know that if you want to find something good you need good equipment. Thanks for the info it is greatly appreciated.
You've got some good advice to get started but remember one thing. Swinging Good equipment over average dirt will generally net you average finds or swinging average equipment over any dirt will probably still get you average finds. I say generally cause I think you start out about 50/50 you'll find a keeper anything you do from there should improve the odds. This is the next part of the obsession, Good Equipment and good dirt (places you have researched for the type of treasures you are looking for) be it clad, silver, relics or what ever, will be important to the results you achieve. Good Luck

OP
OP
Thorne

Thorne

Dec 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
**Edit** Solid advice. I have to convince my wife to let me spend 400$ on good equipment.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Thorne

Thorne

Dec 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out there today and started puling a strong signal. And found nothing. I think when the detector hits something like a clod of grass it beeps.(still testing) then tried a different spot and found some rubbish. Pop top. Beer cap. A slice of siding. And some recalled rusty things. Most items were 6-8" down.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130513_212853.png
    ForumRunner_20130513_212853.png
    299.1 KB · Views: 136
  • ForumRunner_20130513_212910.png
    ForumRunner_20130513_212910.png
    334.9 KB · Views: 110
OP
OP
Thorne

Thorne

Dec 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
*edit*Another question my detector has two knobs that when adjusted I do not notice a difference. Ground and discriminator.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just about everyone I know that has tried detecting with a cheap detector hasn't continued with the hobby as they can just be too frustrating to use. Do as a4wdguy says and get a quality good used older model or better yet, try your cheapy one and then borrow a good one and compare. It can be like night and day or in this case, hobby or no hobby.

Last edited:

bush13st_beav3r

Apr 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I spent 100 on a Garrett ace250 and then found lots of good stuff...was happy w my investment, and later I decided to take the dive to the at pro and propointer....love it

OP
OP
Thorne

Thorne

Dec 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I spent 100 on a Garrett ace250 and then found lots of good stuff...was happy w my investment, and later I decided to take the dive to the at pro and propointer....love it

I'd be all over the 250 if i could get one for a Benjamin.

matrix master DBA

Jan 29, 2008
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites Mxt Pro + Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A good beginners detector is a tesoro compadre its a turn on and go and has discrimination. I have one for a back up for tot lots. They have one with a 5-3/4 inch coil and one with an 8 inch coil. Good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread