Disappointment!!!!

tnredneck

Dec 11, 2006
Paris, Tn.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
Hello Everyone,

Just thought i would post a quick note here for everyone fo i got a wake-up call today. I have been md off and on for the past 25 years. I always used bh detectors but i decided to get back into it just before christmas, so i ordered an ace250 and i thought it worked really good, found a few coins but no silver. The bell tone also drove me crazy in trashy areas so i purchased a whites prizm IV as a companion detector. I have still been finding coins and a few Wheats but still no silver. I read another post where one of you buried a silver dime and your ace250 didn't pick it up so today i did the same and sure enough at @ 6 inches neither detector would get a lock on it?????? The Ace did chirp a little but under trashy cicumstances i probably wouldn't have dug it. I am going back to the bh detectors in hopes that i will get the depth back that i used to get because in the past most of my silver dimes were @ 5 to 6 inches here. You might want to test your detectors!!!

Tnredneck

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suspect it is because you might be using to much sensitivity. To many think more sensitivity means more power and depth. It does some, but the Ace 250 doesn't have an adjustable ground balance. At your location you might get a little deeper with LESS sensitivity that doesn't null out the minerals in the dirt. Silver coins are very conductive and will make a detector respond to them at greater depths than clad coins.

red

Feb 17, 2005
Lexington, Texas
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ70, Garrett 500
Sandman is right on with telling you to turn down the sensitivity on the Garrett.
My older GTX500 works the same way , I have to keep it turned down to 8 most of the time that also tends to make its discrimination more accurate when using it in trashy areas. My Fisher works the same way, If I turn it up to high it will go off and get confused to to much trash, But I mostly use it with no discrimination and dig everything, but I still don't turn my sensitivity. up all the way.
Try that and good luck.
red

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
also remember you would not have a halo effect on a just buried coin...

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
I might have been the one who buried that dime?........and then went over it in all metal mode?...........I do suspect and believe in something that has been said around here, a coin that has been buried for a while will give off a better signal. Be patient in finding silver. It's really a matter of luck and being in the right place, at the right time, at the right angle, etc, etc, the research aspect of knowing where you are, the age of the place, ground conditions, etc. There's simply places you could go into with a DFX in one hand and an Explorer in the other and never find a silver coin. There's places you could go with a $50 Bounty Hunter and pull out silver coins. It's not your 250......it's just a question of time. Some of us get lucky and find silver right away, you will neverthless find your silver if you keep swinging that nice machine! Don't be dissappointed. Give it time. Have you checked the coins you have already found for dates? Take into account the depth, condition and dates of coins you are finding to determine if you are in an area where silver is likely to come out. Study the other garbage you find. If you run into a wheat or two.........slow down to a crawl and start overlapping........wheats do lead to silver. Wait, I just reread your post......you found wheats already!.........do you remember in what 12x12 area they were? You need to pound the crap out of that area and everything around it!

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My ACE 250 will pick up a silver dime at around 9" and has in a controlled hunt. I usually hunt with the sensitivity at only 4 bars. That is with the standard coil. I have hunted with it turned up a bit but it chirps too much so I invariably turn it back down to 4. Monty

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
Most detectors won't pick up a freshly buried coin. Especially at 6 inches plus. When you plant your coins you need to - 1. Use the pinpoint mode to make absolutely sure there is NO metal of any kind even close to your test garden. 2. dig a hole and shove the coin in the side of the hole as far as you can. This way it has undisturbed soil above it. Then pack the soil back layer by layer. 3. water you garden every so often.
My test garden coins are at 4 inches as most of the coins you find will not be much deeper.

S

skydiv

in 3 yrs. of md'ing I've only found 1 merc buy a tree about 2-3 inches down and a sl quarter that had probably just been lost because it was still tangled in the grass. both were at a school built in the 20's. i usr about 6 six bars in grass and 4 in wood chips. either way 4 or 6 i don'y find anything beyond 4-5 inches. try this test like i have, when you find a good target in all metal mode check the tone and depth. then switch it to jewlery mode and check it again, then the coin mode, mine repeats the same sound and depth. in all 3 modes it still likely to be a LM. A gold ring rings up as a nickel. just keep playing with the 250 and get the feel of what it does. hope this helps

Delaware_Gopher

Dec 29, 2006
New Castle, Delaware
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm V & Matrix M6
I've done coin test with my Prizm V with good results. Coins were placed approx 6" down laying flat and also at different angles. Merc dime was a solid hit.

In the field, I've found coins at different depths. The deepest was a 1935 wheatie at approx 8" in dirt soil. I couldn't believe it.

Now, the Prizm V has the 950 coil which the Prizm IV does not have which will most likely result in better results.

Best,
Brian

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my first time out I was pulling up dimes and quarters out of my back yard
same thing second time out. I have mine set up 3 or 4 bars and have not had any probs. The all metal mode I need to learn the different sound, because it is slightly annoying, and without digging everything, I won't know what is what until I have more experience.

OP
OP
tnredneck

tnredneck

Dec 11, 2006
Paris, Tn.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
Thanks for all the replies, I have found out a few things since my original posting. I was using the 9 X 12 coil for one thing and i believe that i was losing some sensitivity to small coins and also after trying it again with the stock coil it seems that at 5" i was at the fringe area for my soil conditions here. We have a lot of clay in the ground here and that is why i believe the loss of depth is occuring. I have ordered another machine to go with these that will manually g.b. hoping that i can re-gain a little more depth. I know that all good coins aren't always deeper as i have found silver in 2" of soil however i have found some in 8 to 10" also. I have reduced my sensitivity also and that seems to help. Thanks for all of your input!!!

Tnredneck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread