Ended up going cheap..

Jimmi

Apr 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I wanted a pin pointer and couldn't justify spending $130 For the Garrett right now. I bought the Harbor Freight kinda version ... Centec . Same exact thing , different name , on Amazon. ( I don't buy anything online except through them ... Had credit card info stolen twice through Internet ) I know it'll be a far cry from Garrett , but i'm sick of empty holes.
So my question is have you had one of these? Any suggestions to get the best I can from it? And I hear the switch is the worst problem , any ideas on how to protect it from breaking?

Upvote 0

Dogtirednj

Apr 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dad used the Harbor Freight version for years. He insisted dirt in the switch was the biggest problem so he would wrap the thing thing in cellophane and even had it in a ziplock when at the beach. Replaced the wrapping after each use. Damn thing lasted a couple years.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
searched.gif
I searched
tn_02.gif
and found a bunch of hits. I don't know if this applies- but, here are just two of the hits...

OP
OP
Jimmi

Jimmi

Apr 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dad used the Harbor Freight version for years. He insisted dirt in the switch was the biggest problem so he would wrap the thing thing in cellophane and even had it in a ziplock when at the beach. Replaced the wrapping after each use. Damn thing lasted a couple years.

I think I will try the cellophane trick! I'm a slob when I dig. Ty

OP
OP
Jimmi

Jimmi

Apr 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vpnavy, thanks!! Very helpful

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got a BH one from amazon for 30 bucks. Its no Garrett but it works for me till I can upgrade.

I feel ya on the stolen card. Just had my paypal get hacked. Someone tried tk buy a 1700 dallor laptop. Id like to get my hands on that low life piece of crap.

WVPapaw

Feb 22, 2013
Hills of WV
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, pro pointer, and two dowsing rods.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I will try the cellophane trick! I'm a slob when I dig. Ty

Some people use there seal a meal machine to seal one of those plastic bags with pin pointer in it.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hey there jimmi, look at what I found in my dirt today. check the thread

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We had someone hack our debit card/ madtercard twice! Word to tbe wise, debit are easier to hack for some reason. Our bank refunded us both times. Cancelled the first cards after using it online once!. New cards jacked a few months ago again, they used my new debit to spend $800 at Victoria's Secret in CA!
Apparently they hacked a shitload of us from same bank. They were able to just keep going down the line by switching a few numbers.i never even used that card!

don't own a debit card and never will

jekyll23

Mar 18, 2013
Downey, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I picked up the Harbor freight pinpointer last fall. Worked great no problems. Started MD'ing this spring, and yup the switch is giving me fits. For the money I think it works very well. I will either replace the whole unit or have been thinking about adding a toggle switch, turn it on check the hole then turn it off. No more holding down the button every time to check. Hope it works for you.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had mine for a few months now, works great. First thing I did was replace the switch. Then i cut the buzzer wires and added a vibrating motor from a cell phone.
It can be pretty touchy in very hot weather. I had to turn sensitivity down using the trimmer inside the unit cause I couldnt get it to shut-off! it's a great pinpointer for the price! HH

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Jimmi, I own the HB Pin Pointer. You will need to take it apart and wire the switch and wrap with a piece of tape. Also keep a hot battery in it. I use rechargeable. You dont waste time holding a button that way, and just tune it each time you probe, and watch the coins jump into your pocket. I can get 3" inches on the two I bought. I like the light and battery it comes with. But yes, I need a $130.00 dollar Pro Pointer, saving my clad now. Oh, having it on all the time makes for quicker recovery also. You only need to remove the 4 smaller screws, no the large one in the center. I may put a vibrator in instead of that annoying speaker.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Well here it is. I have used the HF pinpointer for 2 years. Never wrapped it in anything. The switch is just low quality, that is the contact material is not the best conductor for the job. I actually have two HF pinpointers. I have replaced the switch in one. Got a replacement switch at Radio Shack for about $2. Took 15 min to replace. I added a bright blue LED indicator that lights when it detects item. Just mount the LED in a hole you drill in the case and connect the leads to the buzzer contacts. it took me about 20 Min. Now to adjust the sensitive, just turn it up all the way and back down until the indicator light just goes out. This is max reach to detect. You might want to turn it down a tad more in a small hole. HAY, it works great for 16 or so bucks and it will find anything the $160 unit will find. You can smile thinking about all the money you saved, and the $160 units are starting to have board problems. Frank... PS The LED is polarity sensitive. if it doesn't work, just switch the leads!

Blue 1212.jpg Hay, let me look for it!

Last edited:

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 700 (stock and 6" coil), Pro-find 35 PP, Makro PP, and a little luck.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just save your money and get a Garrett PP holly snow, holly squirrel or jimmi. How can I change my screen name 3 or 4 times?::)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jimmi

Jimmi

Apr 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just save your money and get a Garrett PP holly snow, holly squirrel or jimmi. How can I change my screen name 3 or 4 times?::)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jimmi

Jimmi

Apr 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm hoping tbe majority have forgotten . Plus I been getting jabs about it for months , I'm just tired of it. ZRwas just teasing I think , but somehow others use it in a derogatory way . Which to me don't make no sense... Like I did something so distasteful , lol. " listen whoever you are today..." That kinda thing .

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jimmi

Jimmi

Apr 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Speaking off that ZR , can you please delete out that part ?The names

* nevermind, duh, just realized I can delete out what I said about it
Susan can you delete that out , though. Thank you.

Last edited:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Jimmi, just ignore them all. Some people live for those anonymous digs, makes them feel better.

As Rodney King said "Why can't we all just get along?"

The past is past, and the posts you make are usually pretty good ones!

OP
OP
Jimmi

Jimmi

Apr 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Deepseeker, I appreciate it:)

Jan 14, 2013
Over there, Somewhere. K-town
Detector(s) used
Electrons. A lot of them.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can show you how to edit pages w/out asking the admin:thumbsup:

Jimmi, you mysterious blonde lady; I'd just make one. DigiKey is just a click away! Lmao, the shack will rape you. Ask them if they match online prices:laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread