Can anyone recommend a good new model dtecter that wont break the farm?

synacl1000

Greenie
Apr 27, 2013
Central Missouri
Detector(s) used
Relic Magnum 6
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can anyone recommend a good new model dtecter that won't break the farm?

Currently I have broke out Dad's old Relic Mag 6 & it is working well! I am recovering finds covering the board as far as what it registers. I am happy with it's performance & am confident in the machine. Why a new one? I am able to detect with my machine, but it is from the 1970's. I can't shake the feeling that with technology today how much better the new models must be. I can't afford the cream of the crop or anything outrageous at the moment. I can use mine till next years income tax however & then purchase a new quality machine. Can anyone recommend a good new model metal detector that is dependable, durable, & worth the money? Thanks for your time.

Upvote 0

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelab safari

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might be more confused after this thread gets rollin. LOL Lots of opinions out there. If your having fun and sqeezin everything out of the detector you have now then I'd say see if you can locate some other enthusiast in your area explain your looking to upgrade and maybe you can swing what ever their using to compare. Other than that don't buy anything that will cause you to feel guilty, take food off the table or keep from paying the light bill and you should be just fine.

OP
OP
S

synacl1000

Greenie
Apr 27, 2013
Central Missouri
Detector(s) used
Relic Magnum 6
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the responses, I am lookin to purchase something by early next year. Figured if I started checkin whats out there now I would have a better idea of what I need. I only recently began ground fishin. Still trying to figure how often I can get out, what I'm typically finding, & better idea of my area & the historical locales that people frequented. I know I don't need any thousand dollar machine tailored for underwater detecting & gold lol! I simply am looking for a dependable detector that is somewhat light & there are a lot of creeks here so water proof might be a good idea. Also something that doesn't take a rocket scientist to set & tune.

Jackalope

Jun 27, 2009
Oahu, HI
Detector(s) used
White's, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I simply am looking for a dependable detector that is somewhat light & there are a lot of creeks here so water proof might be a good idea

Waterproof? CTX3030 (expensive - $2300 for a demo model) or AT Pro (about $560)

I'd say the AT Pro wins. Even better price wise if you can find a used unit.

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Currently I have broke out Dad's old Relic Mag 6 & it is working well! I am recovering finds covering the board as far as what it registers. I am happy with it's performance & am confident in the machine. Why a new one? I am able to detect with my machine, but it is from the 1970's. I can't shake the feeling that with technology today how much better the new models must be. I can't afford the cream of the crop or anything outrageous at the moment. I can use mine till next years income tax however & then purchase a new quality machine. Can anyone recommend a good new model metal detector that is dependable, durable, & worth the money? Thanks for your time.

What's your budget? If it is $2000 then you have a lot of options. If its $250 then not so much. Tesero are very good for the price. You can get one from $200 to $750. Whites also make good mid priced detectors. I have no experience with the Garrett. You will usually get what you pay for in detectors. Keep that in mind.

OP
OP
S

synacl1000

Greenie
Apr 27, 2013
Central Missouri
Detector(s) used
Relic Magnum 6
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you guys for the responses for real I am checking out all referred! I'm working well with mine & satisfied with learning on this one. If all works well I should end up with a budget of about 500 bucks. Possibly more but can guarantee that much. I was told some of the new brands sell bundle packs? The detector, pen pointer, mounting clip for the pointer, headphones, & pouch? Sounds great, kind of a starter kit. Is there a brand within 500 to 550 that anyone knows to stand out as a good machine?

BadM0nkey

Apr 28, 2013
Andover, NJ
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE Limited Edition
Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of choices in this range. If you can squeek out $600 then I would suggest the Garrett AT Pro. If not, then the Fisher F5 at $500 looks like a great choice or the Fisher F4 plus a Garrett ProPointer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread