hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's what I am afraid of.

With this comment I really think you need to rethink why and what you want out of this "Hobby". If this is a Hobby for you then what you get monetarily from it is one thing. What you get from it as far as relaxation or maybe satisfaction is another. My guess is your not going to get rich, but you never know. That's one of the many variables that exist. No one can tell you how long it will take and be accurate. Even if you compare how many hours you hunt similar ground as others. The results most likely will not be similar due to too many variables. My question to you is "What do you want out of this Hobby? Are you looking for a Hobby or a business?" Could you be satisfied with finding clad coins? Would you be more satisfied if you did some research of a long ago home, school or settled area and actually found the site or some articles from that site and time? You want to pay for your equipment, check out the beach and shallow water forum. This would probably be your best shot at finding valuable jewelry could do what you hope for.

OP
OP
Thorne

Thorne

Dec 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know its not a get rich quick scheme. Just have to justify spending hundreds of dollars on a toy. Hobby seems like a lot of fun so I'm just getting all my questions out there beforebi dive in

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I ordered a Garrett ace 250. I considered a lot of detectors up to ctx 3030 but ultimately decided on the 250 based on advise of a friend who has one. After I ordered it I started having second thoughts but now I'm at peace with my decision. I couldn't justify spending a lot because I'm not really sure how much I'll use it. It should arrive today or tomorrow and I'm sure I'll use it a lot at first but after the novelty wears off then I will know if an upgrade is in my future. I see many posts about detectors paying for themselves and while that would be great, I'm not in this for profit (although I'd like to make some big finds), but rather, enjoyment. I am a crh and when I find silver, it makes me happy out of all proportion to what it's actually worth so if I can dig a merc or something out of my yard I think I'll be hooked. Hopefully I'll be able to post something soon. Also, if I do ultimately upgrade, ill have the 250 to introduce a friend to metal detecting. HH

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's exactly what toys are by definition! You spends hundreds or thousands on them to have fun! Boats, quads,bikes,etc... It's all for fun and not to make money.

OP
OP
Thorne

Thorne

Dec 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's exactly what toys are by definition! You spends hundreds or thousands on them to have fun! Boats, quads,bikes,etc... It's all for fun and not to make money.

Agreed. That's why I'm trying to sell me xbox to buy one. One toy from another.

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You get more exercise with a detector than you do an XBox! All the Xbox will do is make ya fat and lazy. The detector gets you outside and walking while your having fun- it's hard to beat that.

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You get more exercise with a detector than you do an XBox! All the Xbox will do is make ya fat and lazy. The detector gets you outside and walking while your having fun- it's hard to beat that.

Woa woa woa! Not all gamers are fat and lazy! From my own personal experience- just from what I've seen- we usually turn out to be decent diggers as well! That's actually how I ended up involved in this hobby!

Gamers for the most part are ok people, some may be fat and lazy, but consider all the stereotypes that people throw at metal detecting... For the most part they aren't true!

Come on give us gamers a break we've heard it all before! Lol

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thorne now I definitely know you need to Re Think what your doing. Sounds like your selling your X box to fund a metal detector and that's why all the questions. Problem I see there is, OK say you take all the advice from here and buy yourself a detector with the funds from the sale of your X Box..........Then you find out you don't like this hobby??? Now you no longer have an X Box but you do have a detector for a hobby you may not like. Bummer Dude. I would suggest you save your money and buy a decent entry level detector of your choice and don't sell the BOX. If you really get into detecting you can always upgrade and if you've bought a decent brand first detector, resell it. Keep in mind entry level detectors compared to high end would be like Nintendo to X Box. Good Luck Hunter

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do u know what u want to spend yet on a detector

OP
OP
Thorne

Thorne

Dec 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't turned my xbox on in AT least 6months. I'm either buying a used silver umax or a new compadre. I already enjoy the hobby with the borrowed harbor freight detector I have.

OP
OP
Thorne

Thorne

Dec 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking of calling him. However there is a local shop about 5 miles away.

Dwight Frye

Apr 3, 2013
CHARLOTTE NC
Detector(s) used
TESORO CIBOLA
Well call both , the local shop can show and explain but you have to pay sales tax . If you can get for the same price as a dealer then you have to decide if the tax is worth it .

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By goin to the dealer u will be able to atleast feel how the different detectors feel in ur hand & not just decide from.a picture or what others say everyones gonna have there own opinion good opinion if they own that brand or have it bad if they own the competition seems its just how it is I guess

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Compadre is a great value for the money. As others have noted, what you happen to swing the coil over determines the value of the find, but that's not a good reason to go into this hobby. Sure, once in a while someone makes a great find, but that's not the average. If you can be patient and chuckle at the trash per goodie ratio and just enjoy what made the detector go beep, you'll enjoy this pastime. If you're uptight about making a profit, look to something else. That said, I'll guarantee that if you get knowledgeable with whatever detector you use and spend a fair bit of time hunting in parks, playgrounds and other places with a high turnover of people and activity, you'll never have to buy batteries out of your household budget for the detector and you'll have fun.
luvsdux

OP
OP
Thorne

Thorne

Dec 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same was said when I started coin roll hunting. I know that there is good days and bad days. I.really think I will get my moneys worth. However I still have to justify spending money on a.detector over buying stuff for the fixing up my house.(at least that's how the wife sees it.)

pennyfarmer

Oct 12, 2006
West Haven, UT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would never advise anyone to ever think that this is a money making hobby. Sure you can make some money on occasion but its not anything to rely on. There have been a few times in the past that I have sold something for grocery money so that can be nice.

One thing I can tell you is that a nice metal detector makes this hobby much more fun. I started with a Tesoro Bandito 2 and found quite a bit with it, later I moved to a minelab soverign. My wife now understands that if I say I want a new metal detector it is going to suck $2000 out of the account and she is not going to see any return on it. LOL. I take that back, she will get the chance to oooh and ahhh over my silver dimes and crusty indian head pennies.

Just take the plunge. If anything this hobby will give you a reason to leave the house and have some alone time, something I value with 9 kids. :)

pennyfarmer

Oct 12, 2006
West Haven, UT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
but consider all the stereotypes that people throw at metal detecting... For the most part they aren't true!

They are all true (what are you doing? We are trying to keep this on the down low.) detectorists have a screw loose and are trying to find it. Besides they are all just a bunch of old guys just walking around mumbling to themselves.

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thorne, I used to make money at this hobby. Lately I have been on a dry spell. I am not discouraged though, because if bottle caps ever become of significant value I am gonna cash in and retire! Give Tom Miller a call and get a price on the Compadre, you won't be disappointed. Also Tom has financing available for detectors. Give him a call and ask for payment information. Maybe you can get a Silver uMax and pay it off in 6 months of payments with no interest. It would be a lot easier to slip this by your wife! I haven't used Tom's financing plan, but he is the only I know of that offers this and he is great to deal with.

hrangelotti

Tenderfoot
Mar 17, 2013
tallahassee
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i'm 29 young and cheap as well lol i've hunted playgrounds the last three months and more then enough payed for my detector. hit tot lots and old swimming holes maybe you'll score big time at one

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread