953.2 KB · Views: 366
Upvote 0

bevo

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
eastern wa
Detector(s) used
minelab eureka,fisher f2,ace 150,fisher gold tick,whites coin classic II
over and over. You might want to bring a rake as well and just attack it. If you start pulling large iron targets out of the ground that is a good sign. Just keep at it.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like you could use a bush hog! I would say wait until winter but it looks like the weeds in your part of the country to not die and rot away after the winter like they do here. It sucks when they are laying that deep it sure cuts down on your depth. That fireplace looks ancient, should be some goodies around for sure. Good luck!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

This looks like an old home site near my place. Was wondering what would be the best way to detect it and how to dig thru the weeds?

Thanks for any advice.

Jeff

When Rob says "might want to wait till winter", I would agree with that. This is the spring time of year. In CA, the spring and early summer is the highest grass height time of year for "chapparel" type landscapes like that. So I avoid hunting any of my cow-pasture type woodsy sites, till either late fall, or during the winter (hey, afterall, we don't get any snow at our lowlands of CA during the winter, haha). And at this time of year, I hunt either old-town urban demolitions, or turf, or the beach, or plowed ag. field sites, etc... I save those type locations like in your pix, for another time of year.

As for "how to detect it", well, just disc. out iron, and go there and see what beeps :)

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have taken a lawn mower with me to places where the grass is high. Cut out a nice big area and start detecting. If I am finds enough goodies I would cut some more grass and do more detecting. Good luck and let us know what you find...

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Old Homesite

First off jsknsd that is one interesting looking site! The Panorama stitching job threw me for a minute but then I caught on. Do you have permission to detect it?

There seem to be some stakes or steel rods in the ground. Do they mark out the perimeter of part of the structure? You will likely come across an outbuilding('s) (outhouse, barn, shed), garbage dump and the like. It would be helpful IF you could locate any county, city, USGS maps that show the place as well as any buildings and they might give some explanation of what took place there (cattle ranch, farmer, boarding house, church, etc) and any info will be helpful to understand what to expect there. If you locate some background data then you might be able to find the parcel in tax records or census records to gather more information. This detective work will take time but it could just give you details you might never find on the ground without spending years at detecting the place. Even a date for the last time the location was occupied or when it was built would supply you with a glimpse of what history was like at that time. Old Aerial photographs of the general area may also be of help. I wish you success with your search...............63bkpkr

The weeds! As long as you have permission to work on the site I would take the advice of an earlier poster to 'clear' a small section of ground and detect it a small cleared section at a time removing all junk targets. If you have some info on where buildings used to be that will give you some general starting places. The fireplace of course is a good place to start though there may be lots of metal targets from nails, etc. around it. Around fireplaces was an obvious spot to hide 'stuff'. Just how to clear the weeds is up to your imagination but it should be done with a minimum of involving the curiosity of the surrounding area or making people aware it is being done. Also, in your favor is that you've a great machine to work with!

Last edited:

Trooper733

Apr 3, 2013
Eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites DFX, Whites TRX, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
I also have used a heavy duty Stihl string trimmer I have to do the same thing mentioned above on sites to do "test runs" to check a site. I have a blade for mine that changes out the head from a string trimmer to a blade trimmer. We get some heavy weeds (love grass) etc here that can make it tough like that.

phishisgroovin

May 24, 2012
Kent, Wa.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
i would tr to imagine where the front door was or try & find some stepping stones from an old walkway in front of the now gone building.

Wonder what fell out of their pockets while rocking in a chair on the front porch?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That actually doesn't look all that bad to me. I've hunted worse. I'd hunt it now or wait until late fall when it gets a little cooler. It looks like somewhere out in the east county, right? Maybe bring a rake, pruning shears for around those pepper trees, and a weed whacker. Need some help? give me a shout! :icon_thumleft:

kingingkunsan

Greenie
Mar 5, 2013
Goldsboro, NC
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Discovery 1000
Tesoro Eldorado
Minelab Explorer II
Tesoro Golden micro Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have taken a lawn mower with me to places where the grass is high. Cut out a nice big area and start detecting. If I am finds enough goodies I would cut some more grass and do more detecting. Good luck and let us know what you find...

Now that is dedication

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread