Had the most easy coin find.

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
French Gulch, North Calif.
Detector(s) used
"WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last Monday morning I was at a local park by the public library. I saw a grounds keeper. I asked if Metal Detecting was OK here. He told me it was OK, many coin searchers are polite and cover their "dibits" good. He then pointed to a bunch of trees nearby. He said: Look at all the branches ripped down! the transients have hung and tore branches down when they were drunk or hopped up making a mess.
The city worker left. I went under a tree and found a Coin Patch of 20 or so coins mixed types. somebody's coins thet fell out of a pocket and landed in a pile! pobably from a drunks pan handeling day. I check carefully for "Needles too" (Don't want to get stuck) This was way too easy, no digging just detected & coins were mixed in the grass, happy days, lol

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice when that happens. And you got an ok to hunt as well. That's a good day.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's nice to find some easy pickin's like that sometimes. You need to kill the idea of asking permission on public land however. Look up the law yourself so you know where you stand officially, not dependent on someone's mood that day. You keep asking, you'll find a "NO".....guaranteed.

OP
OP
goldentruth

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's nice to find some easy pickin's like that sometimes. You need to kill the idea of asking permission on public land however. Look up the law yourself so you know where you stand officially, not dependent on someone's mood that day. You keep asking, you'll find a "NO".....guaranteed.
I like to cover my base(s) We have rights I know but you may find one city worker who might be like a Doberman and turn on you. I'm sayin even though we got rights it still is a public park and they can cry to a local buddy/cop and heve them hastle you and take up your time. With ourcurrent Prez, Now they passed a person could be held for a unspecified time. We had rights before a person could be held only 48 hours for no reason and id no reason found then you would be "kicked loose". My friend I don't think I want to have them test their authority. The Magic words to get you in a fix these days is to say: I Got Rights! thats enough to stir it up. So I be polite and after I ask, then I think to myself, He's working and I'm not! (& he probably wishes he had time to be like me doing anything I want or nothing... lol) (I bad?... lol) Thanks friend

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you really think they're going to put you in jail for detecting public property where there is no prohibition from doing so? They don't even put many felons in jail anymore! Just hunt the place. If someone in authority comes over and raised hell with you, he wasn't going to give you permission in the first place. Nobody else will even care.

FreeMindStuck

Jan 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you really think they're going to put you in jail for detecting public property where there is no prohibition from doing so? They don't even put many felons in jail anymore! Just hunt the place. If someone in authority comes over and raised hell with you, he wasn't going to give you permission in the first place. Nobody else will even care.

There is no telling what nasty evil petty bueracrats are capable of these days. Yes, I believe you could end up in jail from metal detecting.

OP
OP
goldentruth

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is no telling what nasty evil petty bueracrats are capable of these days. Yes, I believe you could end up in jail from metal detecting.
Thank you "Freemindstuck"-friend. My papa always tokd me "Don't take chances"! Mr.Cudamark: you may be right & they might not throw a guy in jail but they can hold you and hastle you. I know in Whiskeytown N.Cal the ranger saw me walkin with my MD in my hand as I was leaving and he told me NO Metal Detecting in this certain State park & he could Confiscate my MD if he catches me next time! I don't want some "Dumb Water back woods" dude playin like the cop in Rambo pushin me because he don't think I belong in his neck of the woods. Everyday things happen & I don't want to be next. That is why I ask in a friendly tone and if they say no, there are other places I can check out, Peace.

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a thread on here where someone posed the question asking if anyone, anywhere, has been arrested for metal detecting a public site where there is no law prohibiting it and so far, nobody has. You'd think if this has happened, that someone would pipe up with their tale of woe. I've been doing this for almost 43 years now and have never even been threatened with ticket, let alone arrest. Hassled? sure, many times but IMO asking permission causes more problems than just hunting without it. (responsibly of course)

OP
OP
goldentruth

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is a thread on here where someone posed the question asking if anyone, anywhere, has been arrested for metal detecting a public site where there is no law prohibiting it and so far, nobody has. You'd think if this has happened, that someone would pipe up with their tale of woe. I've been doing this for almost 43 years now and have never even been threatened with ticket, let alone arrest. Hassled? sure, many times but IMO asking permission causes more problems than just hunting without it. (responsibly of course)
2 years ago I was asked if I was metal detecting, I was walking back to my car with my son and told the park ranger I was not (Because I was done & leaving) The ranger said if he sees me metal detecting :HE WILL GIVE ME A TICKET AND CONFICATE MY METAL DETECTOR! There This does happen and I was threatened with fine and loss of my MD. 43 years experience you have, this happened to me. Go ahead and phone up the Ranger/Sheriff office in Shasta County N.Calif. about the protected Whiskeytown property, they will tell you themselves. (And yes repeat offenders go to jail.)

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While it easier to apologize if you are in a place you shouldn't be with your detector. I wish more folks show the respect you did by asking or at least trying. There is always those who will make it a no fun zone if you let them. If your ever on a reservation, or National Monument, I would not test out some of the ideas being posted on here. But city property can be used, but not in all places. Where it is legal here in New Mexico to hunt city parks. In Ohio it appears to not be. I found this out the hard way. I drove to Ohio to visit family and looked it up online. I dont want to know about fines, or confiscation of equipment, so I do it legal always. Good luck sounds like your well on your way already.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2 years ago I was asked if I was metal detecting, I was walking back to my car with my son and told the park ranger I was not (Because I was done & leaving) The ranger said if he sees me metal detecting :HE WILL GIVE ME A TICKET AND CONFICATE MY METAL DETECTOR! There This does happen and I was threatened with fine and loss of my MD. 43 years experience you have, this happened to me. Go ahead and phone up the Ranger/Sheriff office in Shasta County N.Calif. about the protected Whiskeytown property, they will tell you themselves. (And yes repeat offenders go to jail.)
I never suggested that you should hunt a place that has rules against it. The "park" where you were told by a ranger not to detect is probably a site where it's illegal to do so. You can look it up for yourself to see. If it's illegal to hunt there, I would expect a fine or arrest. Even in a place where detecting is off limits, you didn't have that happen. I stand by my position.

BadM0nkey

Apr 28, 2013
Andover, NJ
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE Limited Edition
Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like in all things, it depends.

According to California State Parks, disturbance of natural scenery, plants and animals is strictly forbidden. There is no differentiation between beaches and forests.

I feel completely comfortable MD on the beaches since I fill my holes in dry sand and my disturbance in the surf is wiped out in minutes by mother nature. That said, I am certainly disturbing both scenery and animals.

When I called a local ranger station regarding MD in a forrested park, they said I could do it but I could not dig, or in any other way disturb the ground or plants. I could only pickup items laying on the surface.

goldkey

May 21, 2013
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta/Macro Anfibio Multi / Nokta Fors Core /Ace 250 - w/ 9"x12" Coil /
Whites TRX Bullseye
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm finding out that these "public" parks are not so public anymore. Checked the parks rules and regulations and it says "No metal or artifact detecting" in public parks.
This is here in Clarksville,Tn.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like in all things, it depends.

According to California State Parks, disturbance of natural scenery, plants and animals is strictly forbidden. There is no differentiation between beaches and forests.

I feel completely comfortable MD on the beaches since I fill my holes in dry sand and my disturbance in the surf is wiped out in minutes by mother nature. That said, I am certainly disturbing both scenery and animals.

When I called a local ranger station regarding MD in a forrested park, they said I could do it but I could not dig, or in any other way disturb the ground or plants. I could only pickup items laying on the surface.
Under those vague regulations, you technically couldn't play ball or even walk through the place without "disturbing" something. Walking down a path you may come upon a squirrel or bird and startle them, again technically breaking the law. We all know that these are ridiculous scenarios and nobody would be cited for them. Why do you think they would apply to metal detecting? If you're not leaving any evidence of you being there, no harm, no foul. Just do your business covertly....off hours, don't draw attention to what you're doing, If anyone is around, just probe until they leave. I know you feel like you're being sneaky and feel guilty about it but it's the looky loos that are the problem. They're the ones who don't understand and will be the complainer. Getting permission doesn't help much....the looky loos will still complain and permission doesn't give you carte blanche. They get enough complaints and your permission isn't worth used toilet paper.
Yes, badmonkey, detecting state beaches is the same as the state park......but it's not enforced....so can you do it? Sure, just like the "walking on the grass" prohibition, nobody cares as long as you don't abuse it and cause any complaints.

OP
OP
goldentruth

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm finding out that these "public" parks are not so public anymore. Checked the parks rules and regulations and it says "No metal or artifact detecting" in public parks.
This is here in Clarksville,Tn.
Oh, the public parks here in N. Calif. are public to people who picknick,play basketball at the park courts and they don't bug transients who liter and pull down limbs off trees when drunk/loaded. But ya get some park workers who are discusted with everybody.(You can tell by the way they look around and almost down on people. I ask always if metal detecting is allowed. (They like that and say OK). I'm not tryin to be a kiss up, it may be a polite thing to do. Then I continue and mind my own biz. If perhaps they don't like metal detectorists they call the cops to ask what you are doing if you are rude to workers. Sometimes cops think you are a outsider and ask what ya doin, some are good some have nothing to do except pratice their authority.(You never know), Peace.

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In Fredericksburg,Virginia if you get caught MDing on city property it is $500 fine and they will take the MD. In King George,Virginia if you get caught MDing without permission on someones property and if you found something over $200 it is a felony larceny type charge and trespassing.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Damn that sucks. In Cincinnati they hand out free permits for county and city parks. I've never had anyone complain about any public place or school either. I think I would move or find another hobby if I had to constantly put up with that.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, the public parks here in N. Calif. are public to people who picknick,play basketball at the park courts and they don't bug transients who liter and pull down limbs off trees when drunk/loaded. But ya get some park workers who are discusted with everybody.(You can tell by the way they look around and almost down on people. I ask always if metal detecting is allowed. (They like that and say OK). I'm not tryin to be a kiss up, it may be a polite thing to do. Then I continue and mind my own biz. If perhaps they don't like metal detectorists they call the cops to ask what you are doing if you are rude to workers. Sometimes cops think you are a outsider and ask what ya doin, some are good some have nothing to do except pratice their authority.(You never know), Peace.
I smile and wave at park workers too but ask them permission to metal detect? Not a chance. The average park worker doesn't know the law any better than the bums camped under the trees. I'll stay in their good graces by offering them a doughnut or showing them all the trash I've collected. Just don't show them anything good or they might start detecting in competition with you! (a detecting partner of mine had that happen a few years back)

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup it's easy to be jailed for it. There's criminal trespassing, vandalism, theft because your suppose to turn ALL finds into the police dept for a 30 day reclaim period. Also there's destruction of public property, defacing public property, carrying a concealed weapon, your knife edge gigging tool in most towns is a knife, also criminal tools for the md the digger and possibly your car if any finds are in it while you are in the car with them. Those prosecuting attorneys are sneaked backhanded venomous snakes, their job is to get money from you and to fatten their portfolios for that judges or state seat. And IF they charge you with one item on a ticket if say you get rowdy and loud with the cop, your screwed. Prepare to get a book cover in the head.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where are you talking about? Unless it's a posted site with actual laws on the books, I've never heard of such dire consequences.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread