buttedigger

buttedigger

Mar 31, 2013
Butte, MT
Detector(s) used
Garret AT PRO /Tesoro Lobo SuperTRAQ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There a place up German Gulch called " Circus Flats " where I was told and if I remember right they often brought in a circus for the many gold miners and their families who lived in German Gulch at the time. I know the spot but it is huge and would like to check it out sometime. There is plenty of area for more than a dozen MDers.
Maybe " old digger " has some insight on this area ?
The info I got on this site was from geocaching.com site called " Circus Flats " that we hunted when we were really big into geocaching which we still do once in a great while.
Too many other outdoor activities to do them all in our short summers where riding out atv take up most of it.

So I found this German Gulch is an archaeological site so we would have to be careful to not enter into the site. Archaeologist think they are the only ones permitted by law to dig anything in the ground so that is something we would have to try and avoid. We must find further information.

team sidewinder

Apr 14, 2013
SW MONTANA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB XTERRA 705 , CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am pretty sure that the area of Circus Flats is fair game as far as metal detecting goes. I don't know of the exact archaeological site in that area. I do know that area has a number of mining claims along all the creeks there but we would be way off those.
But as you mention you can never have enough information/research on an area.

Last edited:

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
I took my detector out to Butte during Evel Knievel Daze back in '02 & '03.
Found a couple of silvers but nothing to spectacular. Met and hung out with a guy from Billings named Clint who had a 60's batmobile replica.

echotech911

Sep 11, 2013
Georgetown Lake MT
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Carlos im also new to the Butte Area!! been her siince april and really havent even pulled out my detector. I would be very intrested in hitting some dirt...thanks scott

dirtyhands59701

Tenderfoot
Oct 20, 2013
Montana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just joined the forum. I live in Butte and have been trying to figure out some spots before the snow is here. Anyone in Butte been out lately?

team sidewinder

Apr 14, 2013
SW MONTANA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just joined the forum. I live in Butte and have been trying to figure out some spots before the snow is here. Anyone in Butte been out lately?

Welcome to the forum. I am in Anaconda so not that far. I have been getting out also before the ground freezes but only finding newer coins. I know it is going to be a long winter so I am detecting until the very end. There are some really nice public parks in Butte but not sure how the police are on that over there. Here they pretty much leave you alone but everything here has been detected to death and probably by the " Diggers " before they became big TV stars. I really like those guys.

dirtyhands59701

Tenderfoot
Oct 20, 2013
Montana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't bumped into the police yet, but have been very cautious about leaving everything as it was so they have nothing to complain about. I try to avoid the parks just because they seem too obvious, but seem to find myself back at them when I run out of ideas. We both live in historic communities so I know it's just a matter of research and patience. I haven't seen the "Diggers" show yet.

team sidewinder

Apr 14, 2013
SW MONTANA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hear you on returning back to the public parks. If I want to find " stuff " I go to the public parks or tot lots ( schools ) in the summer or anytime school is not in session. I think I would rather find something/anything than look all day for old stuff and find nothing so I only have myself to blame for not finding anything old. Wish I could tell you of a " hot " spot to detect in our area. You know with all the EPA clean-up that goes on in this area and all the top soil removed it is hard to find anything old on public property but if you have any private property ( yards ) contacts that would be the place to try. The city is putting a new sewer line in west of town and it goes through the spot where I found my oldest ( 1903 Barber dime, a couple Rosies and a couple of wheaties ) coins so just glad I detected there before all that started. Those are the only old coins I have ever found here but then I have only been detecting 5/6 months so far.
e
There is a huge area in German Gulch where it is said that in the old days a circus would come in to entertain the many miners in the area and of course it is called Circus Flats. I have detected some there but it is used by tons of people camping during the summer so it is full of junk ( flip tops, 22 rifle shells, bottle tops ect. ) and I have found nothing of anything worth while. It would take forever to cover the whole area and I only covered a very, very small area.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions