vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
reading_01.gif
You might consider browsing Sub-Forums: Montana for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state.

Wyomingmedic

Jan 31, 2013
The black hole between Montana and Colorado.
Detector(s) used
Truffle seeking pig modified for metal.

The results have been so-so

When the pig fails me (which is often), I am relegated to a CTX3030 *sigh*. Like the dark ages or something.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There seem to be a few Montana folks around,

And a few more of us down in Wyoming.

WM

team sidewinder

Apr 14, 2013
SW MONTANA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB XTERRA 705 , CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yup. I R from Montana pardner. I have seen others here from Montana but like everything here they are spread out over a large area.

Would be more than willing to share any info I have but considering I am just a newbie I am probably not your best source for MD info. Guess I am not much of a group person either but I am on here so go figure.

Last edited:
OP
OP
buttedigger

buttedigger

Mar 31, 2013
Butte, MT
Detector(s) used
Garret AT PRO /Tesoro Lobo SuperTRAQ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool! I just figured it would be cool to meet some people interested in the same hobby. I see it as the more friends you have in the hobby the more exciting it is because when your friends get together and go out for a hunt it's always nice to see what everyone finds, even if you lose on the silver or gold and your buddy who just started nails a fine nugget haha. Of course I want to find the good stuff, but I am also interested and seeing what comes out from underneath it just fascinates me. It would be way cool to be able to pick up a piece out of the ground you just detected and be able to see the last seconds as it fell to the ground.

OP
OP
buttedigger

buttedigger

Mar 31, 2013
Butte, MT
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm up in the Flathead and willing to travell for a group hunt.

Flathead huh? That is 3:30 hours from me. I just moved to Butte in March of this year so still learning places. I do not know the history towards Missoula although I know Anaconda has a ton. Do you have any suggestions on areas? Also, I am waiting for my work schedule with this new company. All I know is I will be working 4 on 3 off so I like that. That will give me plenty of diggin' time.

My name is Carlos... My goal is to eventually find enough people interested in prospecting, metal detecting, treasure hunting so we can form a club. I really think it would be great for families especially for the little ones. Plan for raffles and treasure hunts, BBQs, IE ... Just brainstorming!

Look forward to hearing back from ya "dirtscratcher"

OP
OP
buttedigger

buttedigger

Mar 31, 2013
Butte, MT
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry. Didn't mean to be a wet blanket. Carry on.

Hey there sidewinder I use my phones app so must have not seen your previous response I logged in on the PC and saw ya. Didn't mean to ignore ya. As you might have read I am in the Butte area and have this brainstorm idea to find enough people interested to get another club started. I figure if we try to meet up and find some good stuff people will get interested and I think its great for the whole family. Whereabouts you at in MT?

team sidewinder

Apr 14, 2013
SW MONTANA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anaconda. We will have to get together sometime. I have done some school playgrounds in Butte on the weekends. My summers are so filled up with atv riding that I don't seem to do as much MDing when the snow starts to melt and we can get out on the atv.

OP
OP
buttedigger

buttedigger

Mar 31, 2013
Butte, MT
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anaconda. We will have to get together sometime. I have done some school playgrounds in Butte on the weekends. My summers are so filled up with atv riding that I don't seem to do as much MDing when the snow starts to melt and we can get out on the atv.

Sweet not far from me. I have been hitting this old school field that is now a community center type thing and I have found some pretty good stuff. I go at night and get a ton of ground covered that way. Its walking distance from my house just this darn weather so I have to manage and throw on the rain gear along with some thermals. I still have fun but wish I had another buddy out there with me. Especially if they have a different detector than I do, I like to compare that way. I am free until further notice but once I get my schedule for work I'll know what days I'm available. Do you wait out this weather or do you manage? If your diggin' in Butte this week at all let me know. I kinda have to stay in town next week until I informed of my work schedule

OP
OP
buttedigger

buttedigger

Mar 31, 2013
Butte, MT
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey I'm at St. Ignatius, don't know many MD'ers either
So about 2:30 hours from Butte. I guess there wouldn't be much MDers out here since we don't have the 1700's history like back east but I am OK with finding anything. Were also roughly 1 million strong and wide open I would think that would give us an advantage. Do you have good areas you know of or routinely hit?

team sidewinder

Apr 14, 2013
SW MONTANA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet not far from me. I have been hitting this old school field that is now a community center type thing and I have found some pretty good stuff. I go at night and get a ton of ground covered that way. Its walking distance from my house just this darn weather so I have to manage and throw on the rain gear along with some thermals. I still have fun but wish I had another buddy out there with me. Especially if they have a different detector than I do, I like to compare that way. I am free until further notice but once I get my schedule for work I'll know what days I'm available. Do you wait out this weather or do you manage? If your diggin' in Butte this week at all let me know. I kinda have to stay in town next week until I informed of my work schedule

I am retired so gives you an idea of my age and off everyday but so much to do. I will let you know if/when I could make it over to Butte or you could make it over here but honestly I can't think of any good places left here I haven't done already. Not say I found everything or didn't miss something.
Found a couple of old pocket watches at a old homestead down by Ennis Mt. yesterday but they were pretty much junked out with broken glass, missing back and front but fun to find. Also tooo much junk for me as I don't have much patience with sorting out the junk signals. Also did a search of historical Abe Post Office in that same area but nothing there. Hate to have the wife waiting in the car while I MD so I hurry along faster than I should.

I just put a sandwich bag over the head of my X-terra and rain gear and go for it. If you wait for nice weather to do something here in Montana you will never do anything outdoors.

OP
OP
buttedigger

buttedigger

Mar 31, 2013
Butte, MT
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am retired so gives you an idea of my age and off everyday but so much to do. I will let you know if/when I could make it over to Butte or you could make it over here but honestly I can't think of any good places left here I haven't done already. Not say I found everything or didn't miss something.
Found a couple of old pocket watches at a old homestead down by Ennis Mt. yesterday but they were pretty much junked out with broken glass, missing back and front but fun to find. Also tooo much junk for me as I don't have much patience with sorting out the junk signals. Also did a search of historical Abe Post Office in that same area but nothing there. Hate to have the wife waiting in the car while I MD so I hurry along faster than I should.

I just put a sandwich bag over the head of my X-terra and rain gear and go for it. If you wait for nice weather to do something here in Montana you will never do anything outdoors.

Haha I have found that to be true about waiting for a sunny day haha. I came from dry and 120 so I'm not complaining. I use the AT Pro so I just throw the rain gear on and go. Being retired sounds nice I have a long ways to go I'm half way to thirty so gives ya an idea haha. My oldest find was actually right here in my backyard that 1900s Maverick Token from an ol' saloon in Anaconda. While in AZ I only prospected for gold and wasn't into the recreational detecting just your gold detecting, panning, sluice box, high banker kind of stuff and plan to start again here soon. Have you heard of a website called Montana Cadastral? Gives you property info and dates. It is really helpful in finding old places. Don't hesitate to give me a shout if your out diggin' in Butte, I will surely meet up if I'm not working. It might be a while before I can get up on your area but I will let you know so we can try some spots even the ones you have hit. I am also thinking about moving to Anaconda Since homes seem to be cheaper and it won't disrupt my work travel.

team sidewinder

Apr 14, 2013
SW MONTANA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hit a public park here yesterday and found $4.43 in new coin which make about $8.00 total found there in the last month. So many targets that I gave up even looking/digging for TID showing pennies. Have done this park before but never in this area. Hate to clean this park as it leaves me looking for another spot to MD and I like having a backup when things get slow. But then such is metal detecting.

Thanks for the tip on Montana Cadastral.

Last edited:
OP
OP
buttedigger

buttedigger

Mar 31, 2013
Butte, MT
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hit a public park here yesterday and found $4.43 in new coin which make about $8.00 total found there in the last month. So many targets that I gave up even looking/digging for TID showing pennies. Have done this park before but never in this area. Hate to clean this park as it leaves me looking for another spot to MD and I like having a backup when things get slow. But then such is metal detecting.

Thanks for the tip on Montana Cadastral.

Nice work there sidewinder I have one of those jars that count your change for all my clad. I separate copper from all the clad and they go in a another jar. I know what you mean about so many targets. I just try to remember the exact location and go at it again another time. No prob on the website. A friend in Butte here told me about it he use to be on the forums but think he's been busy

OP
OP
buttedigger

buttedigger

Mar 31, 2013
Butte, MT
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
View attachment 799914

Found this peacoat button last night at this old school on the corner. Its surely plated with copper like a bronze or something it came up as a penny

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread