Need help Im in a slump !

DangerDude

Apr 6, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, BH IV, Fisher F2 and Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I haven't been finding anything to exciting these days, starting to get a bit discouraged. I started off strong in April, found a large cent, 4 silver coins, couple buffaloes and a silver ring. I don't know if I was spoiled but it seems like I'm finding as much clad either. Any tips would be great or any experienced hunters that I'm sure have gone through a slump, my ear or eyes are yours.

Upvote 0

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep trying and digging holes.. Can't find the good stuff without picking through some junk too.. Remember it's supposed to be fun no matter what you find..

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I haven't been finding anything to exciting these days, starting to get a bit discouraged. I started off strong in April, found a large cent, 4 silver coins, couple buffaloes and a silver ring. I don't know if I was spoiled but it seems like I'm finding as much clad either. Any tips would be great or any experienced hunters that I'm sure have gone through a slump, my ear or eyes are yours.

Tips I have, experience, not so much.:headbang:
I'm assuming you have researched your local area for known historic locations/areas? If so, are they MD friendly? Research is the key. Even something as simple as running up the edge of a sidewalk can be productive given the area it's in.
Hope this helps.:icon_thumright:

OP
OP
DangerDude

DangerDude

Apr 6, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tips I have, experience, not so much.:headbang:
I'm assuming you have researched your local area for known historic locations/areas? If so, are they MD friendly? Research is the key. Even something as simple as running up the edge of a sidewalk can be productive given the area it's in.
Hope this helps.:icon_thumright:

I do tons of map and photo research. I in a area that is pretty unchanged for the most part since the late 1800. The towns aren't larger but they do have a lot of history. Just don't know where those treasures are hiding.

matrix master DBA

Jan 29, 2008
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites Mxt Pro + Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What detector and coil are you using? Are you using low discrimination? are you Running your gain as high as possible? I would try going back to where you have found things before and try making sure your machine is ground balanced if possible and try running in all metal. I have hunted sites and thought I had cleaned them out and went back a year later and find something I missed. GL

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you should quit and send me all your detectors......I'll find the rest of the old coins. :laughing7:

Jan 14, 2013
Over there, Somewhere. K-town
Detector(s) used
Electrons. A lot of them.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it makes you feel any better, I can't afford a detector so I had to make one ...& it only goes down to about 4" on coins (too much iron in mn). I've found a whopping 27 cents tonight.

Better?

It's not about finding anything. It's about potential! YOU have the chance to find some really neat stuff. Hang in there!

OP
OP
DangerDude

DangerDude

Apr 6, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm using a Ace 250 with the stock coil. Sometimes I think the machine is messing with me just to piss me off lol. I went out today to a couple new spots and found a bunch a clad, a cheap gum ball machine ring, and what seems to be a old ring. Things are looking after today, I think I just need a good long hunt. I'm still willing to take any tips.

thecolonel

May 1, 2013
Hampstead, NH
Detector(s) used
Whites ID
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ha ha...we all get the "RATS" once in a while. Keep digging. Try different places. You like the beaches? Go into the woods!!! HH

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey, Mr Danger Dude,

I can relate to the slump, been unemployed since Sept. '12, (this past year the Grand kids actually bought ME batteries for Christmas). I have been detecting at least five hours a day every day it's not raining. Since Sept. my totals other than clads and zincolns, are 4 silver coins three of which are common dimes, two bent silver rings, and a few odd tokens. I keep telling myself every nickle/tab range signal and every zinc penny signal is one dig closer to the next keeper object. And then a few weeks ago I got a loud hit that read in the silver dollar\aluminum can range and decided to dig yet another smashed can and it actually was a silver dollar 1922...the slump was worth the wait!...the more you dig the more chances you give yourself. Man just keep diggin, if your like me the exercise alone might be savin' your life!!!

H-2 CHARLIE

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2012
on the rocks - so cal county line
Detector(s) used
Gold bug pro / Minelab GM 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was were you are until my new gold bug pro came in a few weeks ago , now im searching my front yard and finding all types of stuff i missed with my old MD . Today i dug a un peso 1971 coin out front about 7 inches down and other junk , alot of stuff out there because this machine is so senitive . Stay thirty my friend .

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think we would all like to stay "thirty"! :laughing7:

OP
OP
DangerDude

DangerDude

Apr 6, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey, Mr Danger Dude,

I can relate to the slump, been unemployed since Sept. '12, (this past year the Grand kids actually bought ME batteries for Christmas). I have been detecting at least five hours a day every day it's not raining. Since Sept. my totals other than clads and zincolns, are 4 silver coins three of which are common dimes, two bent silver rings, and a few odd tokens. I keep telling myself every nickle/tab range signal and every zinc penny signal is one dig closer to the next keeper object. And then a few weeks ago I got a loud hit that read in the silver dollar\aluminum can range and decided to dig yet another smashed can and it actually was a silver dollar 1922...the slump was worth the wait!...the more you dig the more chances you give yourself. Man just keep diggin, if your like me the exercise alone might be savin' your life!!!

Great story !! Love hearing those stories that go from a junk dig to a hidden treasure. Stories like yours is why Im addicted to Hunting. Sorry to hear about losing your job. wish someone would pay us to detect, I'd have some serious overtime ! Good luck in all your ventures thanks for the story.

tokameel

May 20, 2012
Mequon, Wi
Detector(s) used
In 1974- White.
Now a Garrett Ace 250.
8/30/12 using a Zircon m40 Stud Finder as a hand held pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi DD Yesterday my Ace 250 and I had our best day this year by finding 4 Cents, 4 Dimes and 1 Quarter, all spenders.
Rain was forecasted so I stayed close to my car and rescanned some grass in my local park. Sure enough, I got three 'two-in-one' holes. Now granted, I don't get out much, but these were a lot sweeter to me than the one or two finds per outing that I have been getting in 2013. Keep on Swingn' and Pingin'!

Where about in Wi. do you live? I am just North of Milwaukee.

team sidewinder

Apr 14, 2013
SW MONTANA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB XTERRA 705 , CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Every day can't be Christmas. :laughing7:

Just follow the two Ps of metal detecting. :BangHead:
Patience
Persistance
And you will find goodies under you coil again. :occasion14:

Last edited:
OP
OP
DangerDude

DangerDude

Apr 6, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi DD Yesterday my Ace 250 and I had our best day this year by finding 4 Cents, 4 Dimes and 1 Quarter, all spenders.
Rain was forecasted so I stayed close to my car and rescanned some grass in my local park. Sure enough, I got three 'two-in-one' holes. Now granted, I don't get out much, but these were a lot sweeter to me than the one or two finds per outing that I have been getting in 2013. Keep on Swingn' and Pingin'!

Where about in Wi. do you live? I am just North of Milwaukee.

Hey Toka,

I'm just NE of Madison in Columbus a small town with some good history. I've been out lately and have done pretty good. Of all places my backyard that I've been over a dozen times unearthed a 1941 quarter and 4 wheatie the other night. Let me know if your ever want to team up, who knows how many pull tabs we can get with a pair of 250's lol.

BadM0nkey

Apr 28, 2013
Andover, NJ
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE Limited Edition
Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found some very interesting places by doing some simple research on the internet, starting with Google Books and good old Google Maps. Look for very old historical places that are very in-accessible. Examples are places where things like minor battles or skirmishes took place that weren't big enough to get special attention from the State, Federal or local governments. You may find areas of large parks, deep in the woods that held battles or old towns. Heck, there is an entire town from the 1800's at the bottom of the reservoir near where I grew up.

You can always throw a handful of pennies out a second story window and then go find them to break the slump.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread