If you live near a saltwater beach......

Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You are the luckiest people, bottom line! I mean seriously, to be able to swing, enjoy the seascape, come across amazing finds. Yeah, that sounds horrible, I know :).

Still on vacation near myrtle beach and though only finding clad, just the sound of the ocean creeping in through my headphones and looking out across the pond is just so damn relaxing and beautiful. I mean, finding a 24k whatever would be nice, but there is so much more than "good targets". You just can't put a price tag on the beauty around you.

Just my thoughts. HH to all and enjoy your journey.

Jay

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Jay, even if you live in land-locked states, and aren't near the ocean, doesn't mean you don't have "beaches". Aren't there fresh-water lakes & such in every single state? A lot of them have swimming/wading areas too.

And I wish all ocean facing beaches were equal, but they aren't: If the water is warm (as in, So. CA, Hawaii, etc...), then THOUSANDS of people will be frolicking in the water, right? But at other beaches in parts of states (like where I'm at for instance), the water is too cold. Very few people are in the water swimming, unless they have a surf/wet suit. Or at best up to their knees just to splash the water. Contrast to an image/scene from ..... say, Zuma or Hunnington beach in Southern CA, and on a typical August day, you would see HUNDREDS of people IN the water, with nothing but swim trunks.

Thus some beaches have considerably higher jewelry ratios than others.

matrix master DBA

Jan 29, 2008
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites Mxt Pro + Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know what ya mean jay. Heading to Destin in three weeks. Can't wait to get swinging in the water... Good Luck to ya.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, ocean hunting in the summer is pretty nice.....warmer water, tourists wearing their jewelry, bikini clad women, etc, but it's not ALL fun and games. You have a bit more maintenance on your equipment with the sand and salt, hunting in the surf is a real workout, and the finds that have been there for years are usually extremely crusty, sometimes to the point of being worthless. Winter hunting is even worse with having to wear a wetsuit and little "scenery" to look at. Still, with temps getting to the 100 degree mark inland, the coast is the place to be in the summer.

OP
OP
Jay In NewKen

Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree, Tom, in western pa we have plenty of inland lake/river beaches. It's just the openness and perhaps the novelty of a saltwater beach that has me feeling like a kid in a candy store. Though i don't expect to find jewelry, its the anticipation. Finds aside, the warm weather alone is a reward in itself.

Cuda, i guess seasons do matter, but i'm just enjoying the short time i have swinging in warm salt beaches that i'm just not accustom to. I guess what i'm trying to say is, the experience and relaxation beach detecting is giving me, so far, has far exceeded the price of any gold i may or may not find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread