Sidewalks??

Tenspeed

Mar 22, 2009
York County, SC
Detector(s) used
Currently: Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Past: XP Deus, Xterra 70, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was not a curb hunter until a club hunt on a local college campus in late 2011. In two 100 foot curbs on a local college campus four of us found 2 Walking liberty halves, 2 silver washington quarters, 8 Mercury dimes, one war nickel, silver hair beret and 30+ wheat pennies. We later discovered that this was a hangout in the 40's for guys coming to visit the girls (was a girls college until the 80's).

I started hunting curbs in my area in January 2012 with great success (60+ silver coins last year from curbs). Not every curb has coins in it. Look for the side people park on the most.

I have only had one homeowner show concern and I showed him how I didn't leave a mark. Many times it gave me an opportunity to meet the owner and obtain permission to hunt their yard.

Two such permissions for 1815 and 1910 homes have led to continuing friendships along with many neat finds (WWI 371st Regiment Medallion, SC Civil war button, first Barber quarter, first buffalo nickel, 8 silver dimes, V nickels, IH pennies, wheaties, other neat artifacts).

Other meetings have led to owners allowing access to their multiple rental homes in the older parts of town, which also led to great success.

You have to be polite, careful to not leave a mark (especially in a well taken care of strip), sure of yourself, and ready to move on if asked since they do count the strip as in their yard.

Several of my friends will hunt curbs, but others won't. It is a personal decision. In our area there aren't many old areas to hunt, that is why we gravitated to curbs.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't you love it when there is no clear answer? I would say "let your conscience be your guide" in this matter. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. If you have to sneak and do something it looks like you're doing something wrong. When we are responsible and above board, it promotes our hobby in a way that does NOT create suspicion. Good luck in your decision.

reednc

May 23, 2012
Columbus, OH
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have had good success hunting curb strips. My rule of thumb is that if it looks to be well maintained and has additional vegetation planted, I move on.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's been my experience too. If the parking strip is real nice, it's probably been dug up and replanted so there is nothing to find. I'll run a loop over it anyway but 99% of the time there isn't any good targets.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread