Upvote 0

Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Where i'm from, residual sidewalks are the responsibility of the homeowner so i would imagine they would be considered private property. Depends on the town, i suppose.

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Where i'm from, residual sidewalks are the responsibility of the homeowner so i would imagine they would be considered private property. Depends on the town, i suppose.

Same where I live. There would be issues if I spotted someone detecting in my front yard, uninvited. And there will be no invitations granted as my new (and first) detector will arrive this week.

BadM0nkey

Apr 28, 2013
Andover, NJ
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE Limited Edition
Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think "it depends". If the sidewalk is directly in front of a house then I would stay away. There are a lot of sidewalks however outside of public buildings, parks, athletic fields, train stations, etc... that I consider fair game.

Just watch out for the grounds keeper and the dog poop.

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where I'm from its township property but land owner maintains it. I hunt them early mornings so I don't have to deal with people. I told one person to take it up with the township out they had s problem with it.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Where I'm at (and I believe in all states as well), the "parking strip" (the zone between the sidewalk and the street) belongs to the city. This is so that the city has road right-of-way, and can run utilities down that length. However, as was pointed out, the homeowner mows it, waters it, etc.... Thus technically, yes you can walk there, detect there, etc... (so long as you're doing no damage). However, that's not to say that someone might get a bee-in-their-bonnet, since they maintain it. So do as dholland02 says: If/when you hit those, do so @ odd-hours. Like at dawn/sun-up on a Saturday, etc... Or mid-day when everyone's at work, etc... Don't be in the middle of deep retrievals when lookie-lou curious folk are watching, etc...

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What would you wish someone to do if you were responsible for the property (even though the city owns it)?
After all, its the homeowner that is responsible for the sidewalk repairs, mow the grass, the taxes, etc.
So really, would you want some interloper sneaking in to dig while you were away from home or knocking on the door and asking if you would mind?

The one time I asked, I was invited to detect the yard also.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some people think the parks and schools belong to them too but it won't keep me from hunting them as long as there is no official prohibition against it. I have hunted parking strips for many years with good success. You will run across the "land barons" who think they own that strip so just smile, tell them to have a good day, and move on down the road. No point in getting the police involved even if you're in the right.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
What would you wish someone to do if you were responsible for the property (even though the city owns it)?
After all, its the homeowner that is responsible for the sidewalk repairs, mow the grass, the taxes, etc.
So really, would you want some interloper sneaking in to dig while you were away from home or knocking on the door and asking if you would mind?

The one time I asked, I was invited to detect the yard also.

Well, if a person left "holes" (which, afterall, in the implied implication of your use of "dig", in your text, right?), then I could understand what you're saying. But if you and I know we'll leave no trace of our presence, then why isn't that good enough. I mean, sure, there's the connotations of our hobby (no escaping that, that we must retrieve the target). So .... just like ANY where I hunt, if I perceive that someone may "take issue" with the temporary evil process of extraction, then I do go out of my way to "stick out like a sore thumb" to them. I mean, just like parks and schools, we ALL have the "presence of mind" not to go there when the lawns are being mowed, or when an archaeologist convention is going on there, etc.... So too is the same "due-discretion" mindset if a person were going to do parking strips.

If someone were sitting on their front porch sipping Ice Tea, and if I were working my way down the street, I would actually alert them, with a big smile, of my intentions :) So I'm not saying for us all to be rude and demand our rights or anything.

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If someone were sitting on their front porch sipping Ice Tea, and if I were working my way down the street, I would actually alert them, with a big smile, of my intentions :) So I'm not saying for us all to be rude and demand our rights or anything.

Of coarse if there outside ill say something, but most strips in my town are small I'm not wastin my time door knockin when itll take a few mins to go over the strip.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The strip area, which includes the sidewalk itself, is ceded to the city. That is why the municipality can lawfully put in sidewalks. Unless written law prohibits detecting on this strip, it is handled just like any other public areas of that municipality. TTC

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The strip between the sidewalk and street can be pretty lucrative but if someone told me not to detect there I would respect their wishes. Like so many have said the people at that address must maintain that strip even though it is technically city property. In many areas when you buy a lot to build on your actually paying for the land to the center of the street but the area from the center of the street to the sidewalk is for fitted to the local municipality. Actually where I live the sidewalk is public property that is required to be maintained by the property owner.

No matter where I hunt I am always very friendly and polite if someone asks me anything about what I am doing. I consider metal detecting to be a privilege whether it be on public or private property. The prairie dog diggers that leaves holes and pock marks wherever they dig hurt all of us. Believe it or not some long time detectorists dig and run without ever filling a hole or pushing the sod back.

As for me i would be cautious about detecting in the area between the sidewalk and street without asking permission. It's not that you need permission it's more about respect of the home owner.

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
U don't need permission its township property

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The strip between the sidewalk and street can be pretty lucrative but if someone told me not to detect there I would respect their wishes. Like so many have said the people at that address must maintain that strip even though it is technically city property. In many areas when you buy a lot to build on your actually paying for the land to the center of the street but the area from the center of the street to the sidewalk is for fitted to the local municipality. Actually where I live the sidewalk is public property that is required to be maintained by the property owner.

No matter where I hunt I am always very friendly and polite if someone asks me anything about what I am doing. I consider metal detecting to be a privilege whether it be on public or private property. The prairie dog diggers that leaves holes and pock marks wherever they dig hurt all of us. Believe it or not some long time detectorists dig and run without ever filling a hole or pushing the sod back.

As for me i would be cautious about detecting in the area between the sidewalk and street without asking permission. It's not that you need permission it's more about respect of the home owner.
What would be the point in asking the homeowner? The ones who would call the police aren't going to give you permission, and the ones who would, don't care anyway. In most cases, you're in and out before they even know you were there.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
TIP: I have found the driver's side of a one-way street is THE BEST spot on the sidewalk strips! TTC

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, if you can find any. In our town, by the time they made the street "one way", they had already taken out the parking strip years ago when they widened the road to avoid making it one way.

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are huge differences in town, city and township ordinances. Ordinances are generally the rules and regs. that would directly affect the property your are asking about. Not all municipalities are the same. Some have described this property as being city, town or township owned and in some cases this maybe true but not always. Municipalities can and do retain certain utility rights in some cases for obvious reasons but this doesn't mean they own the land or can govern it's use. It merely means they can access it for maintenance or construction of utilities without the consent of the property owner. Unincorporated communities could have a complete other set of rules that may or may not be similar to towns and cities. What ever situation you are in, if it is "owned" by that entity then they govern the rules for that property. There are too many variables to answer your question confidently. My answer is backed with experience in local government as I am a local official in my community, which is a town. I know for fact the townships and cities surrounding mine all have different regulations and rules for use of public lands. This could also vary from state to state. My advice would be to contact a local official or administrator and ask the question. I wouldn't included permission to detect, just whether the property is public or not.Then check the rules for detecting yourself through local ordinances. You may be able to find these online or ask for a hard copy from your particular local government. Good Luck Hunter

OP
OP
jimzz977

jimzz977

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your help I'll look in to it

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd look it all up myself. How can you be sure if the "official" knows the law? No use tipping your hand. They may start asking "why do you want to know?" type questions.

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Generally speaking property lines run to the middle of the street or road. The government maintains a right of way a measured distance from center line. The public is free to use this area to travel, but it doesn't give you permission to dig it up.

Just use your head, it is so much more enjoyable to detect with permission, than to constantly be looking over your shoulder, and creating conflicts giving all MD'ers a bad name.

I always try to put myself in the other persons place, would I want some one digging for valuables in my front yard without asking permission? Hell no.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions