First post here, looking for some advice on a first metal detector.

mr helton

May 20, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
White's Spectrum XLT
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm guessing this get asked too much already...I'm sorry! :BangHead:

I live in Michigan and would like something that works well in the brown soil there. I'm mainly interested in finding coins, but of course anything that I get is awesome. I'm also looking to spend $200, maybe $250 for a good starter detector that won't leave me disappointed after a year of use.

I'm also curious what kinds of places I could look. I see a lot of posts about going through the woods. Do people just walk through the woods randomly, or just paths or what? I'm thinking ideal places are like the old abandoned drive in by my house, and stuff like that. Maybe check out a fairground after they pack it up.

How hard is it to learn? I think whatever one I end up with, I'll check out some youtube videos specific to that model to get some pointers.

What extra equipment will I need?

Sorry for all the questions.

oh and I'm gonna be all over the coin roll hunting forum too. I can't believe I'm just now finding this place!

Upvote 0

marh415

Apr 30, 2013
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ACE 350, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow! Thank you all for the helpful responses, I have quite a bit of research to do with all the new information that I got here.

I want to try to get my wife into it as well because we're always looking for things to do together.

My son was with me when I found my first coin the other night, we also found some other junk too. We were doing good hitting and finding targets even without a pointer pretty quickly. He later asked me if there was a detector he could buy with the $60 he had saved up! My daughter loves it too, she has her hands in the hole faster than I do!

MongoLloyd

Mar 20, 2012
Mendocino County, CA
Detector(s) used
NEW DETECTOR: Minelab CTX-3030
Garrett AT Pro w/ Black Widow headphones; Garrett Pro-point; Lesche digger; "The Bomb #2" Sheath
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
mr helton,
Before buying, perhaps go to a local store that sells metal detectors. Get a feel for the hobby... to see whether it is going to be something that you will want to do for awhile, or, if it is just a passing interest. If it is something that you are going to want to do as a lifetime hobby, perhaps you might want to save up for a machine with greater capabilities than, say, one of the entry level machines mentioned... like the F2 or the Ace 250. You do get what you pay for in most cases. I bought a Garrett Ace 250 for my son-in-law. It is a wrong fit, and he doesn't have much success with it; I have the AT Pro, made by Garrett, and have had great success with it, but it is around $300 more. The brand doesn't matter much... but the features and capabilities do. Some of the difference in success relates to the user and his ability to use the tools, but some of the success does relate to the equipment. I would recommend starting with a strong foundation to build on; a good mid-range machine that has enough capabilities and features, which will allow you to grow into it as you learn.

Buying above your capability makes good financial sense. You will be happier with the machine longer, and therefore, more productive with it.

Either way, it is hard to make an informed decision based on forums. Most here have their preferred brand and models... and many are free with criticisms about brands/models that they do not own; criticisms which might not necessarily be valid. Go to an actual store in your area that sells Minelab, Garrett, Whites, Fisher, and the other major brands. Try them out. See what fits you. See if the hobby fits you. Only you can tell which detector is best for you.

PhilBarnett

Oct 6, 2012
Englewood
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Fisher Gold Bug, Garretts ACE-350 and Garrett's pinpointer pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have an abandon drive in near you I would think that would be a good place to start hunting. And I suggest you check with some of the vendors on here as they are very helpful in helping you make a good purchase. Most are hunters them selves and know how to help you in the right purchase for your needs. Old abandon school yards are good to if you have any near you. Dig responsibly. Have fun!

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a great hobby not only for urself but the family as well my wife also comes out with me ounce in.a while she prefers my prism 4 probly the easiest turn on & go detector I have it'll be a lot easier to get out & go if she is into it to believe me

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread