First V Nickel! Now how do I clean it?

toughturtle

Apr 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 - DD and Sniper
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, I have been reading every forum post, website, etc on cleaning V Nickels and am unsure of what I should do i my case.

This is my first V Nickel, I have only been MDing for a few weeks, and I would like to be able to see some details without holding a flashlight at an angle , squinting, and imagining that the crud is not there. I have soaked in soapy water, used a soft toothbrush, and the toothpick trick. I have gotten some crud off, but I am nervous about all the different cleaning applications. It seems like different methods work differently for different states of the coin? Or crud buildup?

The coin is a 1911 V Nickel and the raised parts are there, but faint.

Any ideas?

Thanks for any help you can lend.

vnickel.jpg

Upvote 0

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some I have heard do a electrolysis cleaning something with a battery ud get a better idea on YouTube shows how to make one its supposed to be good for cleaning coins hope it helps

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is probably nothing you can do to improve it. I have tried electrolysis on crappy V nicks and all that came out was a blank disc. This was after checking and gently brushing it every few minutes to prevent from baking it. The corrosion and patina on the coin is often all that remains of the details.

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Try warming up some hydrogen peroxide and soak it in that for about 15 minutes. You should see bubble coming off the coin. Assuming you are not worried about selling it, you can then take a small brass wire brush to it and gently clean it. It may cause some micro scratches, but probably not visible to the naked eye. Careful heating the HP, I usually microwave it for 30 seconds.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
OK, I have been reading every forum post, website, etc on cleaning V Nickels and am unsure of what I should do i my case.

This is my first V Nickel, I have only been MDing for a few weeks, and I would like to be able to see some details without holding a flashlight at an angle , squinting, and imagining that the crud is not there. I have soaked in soapy water, used a soft toothbrush, and the toothpick trick. I have gotten some crud off, but I am nervous about all the different cleaning applications. It seems like different methods work differently for different states of the coin? Or crud buildup?

The coin is a 1911 V Nickel and the raised parts are there, but faint.

Any ideas?

Thanks for any help you can lend.

View attachment 803456

For any US nickels, use naval jelly. It's available from any hardware store.

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For any US nickels, use naval jelly. It's available from any hardware store.

Naval Jelly is basically acid, so be careful no to leave it in too long.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread