new metal detector

creattionz

Aug 15, 2011
Syracuse, NY
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I currently use the Ace 250 with a 9x12 coil.
I've used it for a while now and pretty much dig all coins now and very little garbage so I like to think I'm very good with this machine but feel I'm missing the targets that are deep down.
Don't get me wrong the Ace 250 finds them but it reads them all over the tab so its a lot of just digging everything that reads deep (6-8+ inches).
So my question is what's a machine other ppl who started out with a Ace 250 have upgraded to and now wish they started with.
Wondering if I am missing out on alot or am I just worrying for no reason.
I don't get tons of free time so I hate to think I'm not useing what I get to the max

Upvote 0

BadM0nkey

Apr 28, 2013
Andover, NJ
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE Limited Edition
Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are a lot of things to think about. Are you just looking for more depth? Any other features you need like ground balancing? Where do you MD? What is the budget? Do you really want to dig 14 inch deep holes? It is a lot more work than 8 inch deep holes and takes a lot longer which will slow you down....

buttedigger

Mar 31, 2013
Butte, MT
Detector(s) used
Garret AT PRO /Tesoro Lobo SuperTRAQ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BadMonkey has a very good point. Although I do enjoy my AT Pro I can use it almost anywhere just not deeper than 10ft under water. I also enjoy my Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, both have similar KHz and I think that is what you need for depth and a large coil. I stick with the 17khz or above.

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started with an ace250 and after I started hunting with guys with minelabs I realized how much I was missing. I upgraded to a minelab safari about 5 months ago and havnt looked back. Its just amazing, I went back over spot I hit with my ace and have pulled wheaties and silver from those places.

OP
OP
C

creattionz

Aug 15, 2011
Syracuse, NY
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I hunt some older parks and old horse trails fot the most part in the new york area.
I guess my biggest problem with the ace is it recognizing anything that's deeper then 6inches it always says its a dollar or iron.
For instance I dug a hole 4-6 inches and threw my wedding ring (14k) in it then put the plug back down and scanned it. The indicator missed it the first 3 swips then bounced all over when I turned the sensitivity up.
My budget atm would be around 900 that's including a bigger coil since most come with small stock one

OP
OP
C

creattionz

Aug 15, 2011
Syracuse, NY
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
And I'd rather spend a hour digging 1 hole to find a conversation piece then 5hours digging 900 holes.
I've got a wegmans bag in my car that's gotta be 15+ pounds full of clad that I've found in the last 2 months.
I don't mind the dig all signals route but really if I dug every signal even doing the best plug ever I'd destroy a feild when they went to mow it.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i to think there are some valid points u must think about whats gonna be best for you in the types of hunting you do ur gonna get alot of different opinions on which detector to get everyone likes differen things what works great for someone might not work good for u at all then u just spent ur whole budget and now u have a detector ur not happy with if there is a vendor in ur area may be best to go there test or demo some out see what they feel like in ur hands and the benefits of each $900 is no pocket change now in my expeirience i went from a a discovery 2500 to a whites prism4, then after 5 months of reserch i chose the atpro for the fact of i could go in the water or land the high res iron disc was great lots of features i found to suit my needs from there i discovered i like relic hunting and actually being able to scan a hole and see whats there so my new peice was the whites spectra v3i i feel i can scan anything change anything on it to fit my needs but thats me none of these may work for you or they might idk u have to be the one to decide that good luck HH

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's why I upgraded, I just felt I was missin alot with it too. I messed with the disscrim on it a lot bc on some places it would just go nuts. Plus I just got annoyed with the bell tone on it.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
That's why I upgraded, I just felt I was missin alot with it too. I messed with the disscrim on it a lot bc on some places it would just go nuts. Plus I just got annoyed with the bell tone on it.

X2 on the bell tone!!

Sent from my SCH-R930 using Tapatalk 2

GoGoGopher

Jun 24, 2011
Syracuse, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac - 11" Pro, 6" EQ2 coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you cannot afford a e-Trac or an Explorer, I would get a Minelab 705 and not look back...Or if you need a bit cheaper, the AT Pro with stock, 8x5, and 4" coils

HH,

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you dig only coins and no garbage you better keep that magic detector you have....95% of what i dig is trash

OP
OP
C

creattionz

Aug 15, 2011
Syracuse, NY
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I'll never get rid of the ace 250 my 12 yr old son enjoys the 250 and I'm sure if u only dug the constant coin signals ud end up more cash then trash also.
The ace 250 is partial to newer clad cause when its a penny - quarter it will buzz and ring ur dang ear off.
But if its older coins or deep coins it likes to signal float to show you it knows somethings there but doesn't have a sure clue what.
I'm not complaining about the ace 250 I enjoy the hobby and will continue doing it as long as I can. My concern I'm sure is the same as every new person to the hobby has had am I doing it right and should I have gotten a better machine
Cause I must be missing all the best stuff lol.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If you cannot afford a e-Trac or an Explorer, I would get a Minelab 705 and not look back...Or if you need a bit cheaper, the AT Pro with stock, 8x5, and 4" coils

HH,

I have a xterra 705 with dd coil and it is awesome!!!! Save up a little longer if need be and you won't regret it.

Sent from my SCH-R930 using Tapatalk 2

Bigshooter 67

Greenie
Apr 29, 2013
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT-Tesoro Compadre- White's Surf PI
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Typical answers, everyone's machine is awesome except yours:-). I just upgraded from a Tesoro Compadre to a Whites MTX, guess what, I still dug a bunch of trash! The MTX will go deeper, but the signal will be less than great, but you still have hope! I only have a couple day's experience with the MXT and am far from being the authority but I believe that this machine will pay for itself shortly. Any of the top 400-900$ machines are pretty awesome, just depends on your unique situation. HH Dale

BadM0nkey

Apr 28, 2013
Andover, NJ
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE Limited Edition
Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any of the top 400-900$ machines are pretty awesome, just depends on your unique situation. HH Dale

This is right on the money. Lots of great machines in that range and you really cannot go wrong if you stick with one of the main companies: Garrett, MineLab, Fisher, Whites, Tesoro.

Uh Oh, now I did it. I am sure I missed someone's baby and I will hear about it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread