Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
searched.gif
Until someone pipes in - I searched
tn_02.gif
and found WHAT'S THE BEST TICK REPELLANT? (Apr 30, 2008)...

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Vinegar in your bloodstream. It only needs to be a small amount, so I never have to worry as pickles, Italian dressing, and a few other foods containing/ made with vinegar are part of a steady diet for me! If they bite they'll back right out.

Kampnhuntr

Oct 11, 2012
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Amigo II , White's XLT, Fisher Gold Strike, Minelab Pro-Find Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We drink Apple Cider Vinegar & Honey mixed. We keep some mixed up. You can add a little to some hot water & drink or just drink a shot of it every day. Supposed to be good for ya! We noticed it helps with the mosquitoes also.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Vinegar in your bloodstream. It only needs to be a small amount, so I never have to worry as pickles, Italian dressing, and a few other foods containing/ made with vinegar are part of a steady diet for me! If they bite they'll back right out.

By dang I never knew that,got 3 qts. of Braggs,good info,thanks.

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eat all the garlic thatyou can, and use the strongest DEET that your skin will stand. Ticks are the one pest that seem to defy normal deterents, but I really thick the garlic helps. I work outside in the woods everyday, and have only a minimal problem, also is really good for mosquitoes! Everybody's chemical makeup differs, but hope that this was helpful, it does work for me.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree the Garlic, lots of it, has somewhat of a deterrent effect, mosquitoes for sure. I use 100% DEET which is the military version but it can be purchased from Recreational Equipment Inc. (REI) online, they call it "Jungle Juice". It is harsh on a persons skin so if you are going to soak in it, put it on your clothes.

Also, it seems like you are in an especially bad place for these tiny pests that get so huge when they are full of blood so, I would get some longer length pants (good will store) and make certain they stay tucked into your socks(tie them in) while your are out. You could have a special set of clothing Just for Detecting, and if all the zippers were plastic you could then microwave them on your return home, preferably on the back porch though..................63bkpkr

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Well I go at it from the other end. Ticks like light color clothing. I use the deet also. I wear shorts in the field and woods and pick the ticks off my leggs as soon as I feel them moving up. Frank...

111-1 profile.jpg

rws51

May 12, 2009
google a product called permethrin.... a 16 oz. bottle is around 12.00 bucks or so and it works. You spray your hunting clothes down with it and let it dry. One treatment is supposed to last 6 washings. One bottle will treat 4 set of clothing.

SIdigger69

May 26, 2013
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Permethrin on your clothes works great. Wall Mart sells it in a product in the camping section called Sawyers, its in a black and yellow box. Just spray down your clothes and let them air dry before wearing them.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I use it, I use REPEL 100.
it's Rare I even remember I have it.
I see COLEMAN makes 100% Deet Too

Although sometimes I think My System works fine on Tics.
either that or I've just been lucky.

I don't have a special Diet like the others above.

Other then My normal Red Meat, Coffee & Ginger ale as needed :tongue3:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like to light my socks on fire, they don't like to crawl over flames

davinci

Jan 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually eat a basket of beer battered onion rings. About 45 mins later nothing wants to come near me or walk behind me.

OP
OP
Indian Steve

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked up Sawyers and Repel and apple cider vinegar today. I'll let ya'll know how it works out.

BadM0nkey

Apr 28, 2013
Andover, NJ
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE Limited Edition
Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please do. I hate ticks. I was considering spraying my clothing with the tick spray I use on my horses.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread