Anybody Using a GPS

team sidewinder

Apr 14, 2013
SW MONTANA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB XTERRA 705 , CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anybody using a GPS when they metal detect ? I use my GPS and leave it tracking when metal detecting to grid off a large area so if I don't get finished I can come back and start where I left off. It also give me an idea if I missed spots. Granted I don't use it all the time or in smaller areas but it does have a purpose for me anyway in metal detecting.

Upvote 0

Scrammer

Apr 5, 2013
Between Buffalo and Rochester, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro;
AT Pro Pointer;
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Excellent question and I am anxious to see the answers. I just downloaded GPS essentials (for droid) to try and I know someone on here was promoting one he built. I haven't actually used mine yet, just finished the research and location find of a great potential spot. Have the permission and am waiting on the rain to stop. A mile in the woods and need to somewhat grid off a 200 yard x 100 yard area. If you do find something worthwhile (especially that can do smaller areas) please let us know! What is the accuracy while you are out?

OP
OP
team sidewinder

team sidewinder

Apr 14, 2013
SW MONTANA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It varies with sat reception but can be anywhere from 10 to 20 feet. Besides using my gps for gridding an area I guess I should have added that I have a map chip in my Garmin Montana from huntinggpsmaps.com that also shows private property ( with the owners names ) , Forest Service, State Lands and BLM land and topo on all those. Really works great if you aren't sure if you are detecting on private or public land. The map chip only has one state per chip though.

BadM0nkey

Apr 28, 2013
Andover, NJ
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE Limited Edition
Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, I use one all the time when I am trying to find a particular place in the woods. But, now that you mention it, I am pretty sure there are some handheld GPS units that will actually grid an area for you. I seem to recall a few years back, my son's Garmin had a game that gridded an area of any specified size....

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya I been detecting for quite a while now but this year I picked up a used gps there are a couple very big areas that I like to mark off & for when I'm out in about in thr car I can just turn it on quickly drop a way point & research a new spot without forgetting where it was so far so good

LifeNRA

Apr 21, 2013
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own a Garmin GPSMAP 60 CSx. Best GPS I ever used! Works great under heavy tree tops. I have had several GPS's over the years. Get one with a HIGH sensitivity antenna. I have 80 old homesteads on my GPS at the moment. Most of the time I have 3-9 foot accuracy. This will get me close enough to start hunting. Cell phone GPS's are about worthless because if you loose cell signal, you loose your GPS. They are ok in a pinch, but I would get a real dedicated GPS unit if your wandering in the woods or back country.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Team Sidewinder, can you post a link to the garmin and program you have. I cover a lot of ground and that kind of knowledge would be very helpful.

FreeMindStuck

Jan 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use my android phone and the software Locus Pro. With the plugin gps averaging the accuracy is to about 3 feet. The software supports overlays and multiple map types.

OP
OP
team sidewinder

team sidewinder

Apr 14, 2013
SW MONTANA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hunting GPS Maps - Public/Private Land Ownership names for your GPS

Like I mentioned they are for only one state per chip but for me that is all I ever need. Guess they have adde a multi state chip but I think it doesn't have some of the same info the single state plat chip has. I use mine for my shed antler hunting, atv riding, geocaching, hunting and any outdoor activity where I don't want to get onto trespass trouble on private land/property. You will have to check their map to see if they have your state listed.

I must have the premium chip but when I bought mine I don't think they had those other options. I would still go with the premium chip though.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread