Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I had to choose between a digger and a pro pointer I would be digging with my hands. It's a tool that I would not hunt without for sure. Your in and out of the hole and on your way to the next target in seconds.

mr helton

May 20, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
White's Spectrum XLT
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How exactly does the thing work? Do you just pull the plug out of the ground and stick it in? How close does it have to be to the target to go off?

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How exactly does the thing work? Do you just pull the plug out of the ground and stick it in? How close does it have to be to the target to go off?

Yes, after you dig your plug, you stick the pinpointer into the hole, to determine where in the hole the target sits. With some of the cheaper pinpointers, they need to be very close to the target before they sound. With the Propointer, if you are within a few inches of the target it will start beeping slowly, then as you get closer it beeps faster, so you can quickly find and retrieve your target.

dirtwizard

Feb 19, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari/Fisher F2/Minelab go-find 40/Garrett pro point
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
it greatly reduces the time you spend in the hole and can also help you quickly find multiple targets in the same hole. For example this evening I recovered a matchbox car, a lead fishing weight and a 1977 penny all from the same hole. If it took me 2 minutes to find all 3 I would be surprised. Less time digging equals more time swinging the coil.

DangerDude

Apr 6, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, BH IV, Fisher F2 and Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A little tip my buddy showed me is to run the pointer over the ground before digging your plug, especially if its only showing 2" deep. You can save time and mess by digging a smaller plug if you hit before digging. I use a coin probe to pop up the grass if I'm getting a good hit and have dug a few dozen that way.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
Many hunters who use ProPointers miss this option for some reason. They by default wanna pup a 6" plug and many times your target is only an inch down. I never used an actual probe but just a small shallow prying out of dirt most times shows the prize with minimal damage to the landscape. Martin

A little tip my buddy showed me is to run the pointer over the ground before digging your plug, especially if its only showing 2" deep. You can save time and mess by digging a smaller plug if you hit before digging. I use a coin probe to pop up the grass if I'm getting a good hit and have dug a few dozen that way.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread