Jul 21, 2012
League City, Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250-
Garrett Pro Pointer-
Razor Edge Gator Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
if you're ever near Washington county check out regner park and ridge run in West Bend 53095. I lived there for 14 years but never had a metal detector then. I wish I could go there now and do some detecting but good luck to you.

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was in Wisconsin this past weekend, had 3 machines with me and didn't hunt once... The more I look into WI laws, the more I'm confused... Well, maybe not really but I'm not real clear on them... I spent most of my time in Chippewa Falls and Jim Falls...(I wasn't shut down because confusion ovr laws... I knew there was a good chance I wouldn't be hunting at all)

OP
OP
shaunan

shaunan

May 30, 2013
Hmmm. I have never had any problems. I have heard a few places up north like pirate island or something but nothing else. To bad I don't live in the south

DangerDude

Apr 6, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, BH IV, Fisher F2 and Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I live near Madison and have had some good finds this year. Large cent, few rings, some silver and a bunch of clad. Depends on what your looking for, coins ? Relics ? Jewelry ? Go to historicmapworks.com and look up your town and county maps. The laws in WI aren't that bad, just check local municipality laws and park rules where you hunt. I dug deep for Horicon and Dodge county laws and never found a thing, until someone tells me otherwise I'll be digging. Good luck hunting and if your ever in Columbus give me a holla and I'll show you my my honey holes.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Nobody will give up their good spots, kinda like the bottle digger dudes. The parks are beat down but cough up stuff still. Rarely, a virgin spot is found but the location is secret. Try private lawns, these are a good bet for goodies, and they will keep you busy until dirt nappy time.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I was in Wisconsin this past weekend, had 3 machines with me and didn't hunt once... The more I look into WI laws, the more I'm confused... Well, maybe not really but I'm not real clear on them... I spent most of my time in Chippewa Falls and Jim Falls...(I wasn't shut down because confusion ovr laws... I knew there was a good chance I wouldn't be hunting at all)

WIT, what "laws" are you talking about that gave you cause for concern? Are you confusing state level (ie.: "WI rules") with other levels? In other words, whatever you read about the state-of-WI, is not necessarily the same at city, county, and private levels. Thus as long as there's nothing saying "no metal detectors", then presto: there you go.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Not really to confusing really. I hunt Chippewa quite often.
State run parks are pretty much off limits. Any of the county or city parks are good to go.

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WIT, what "laws" are you talking about that gave you cause for concern? Are you confusing state level (ie.: "WI rules") with other levels? In other words, whatever you read about the state-of-WI, is not necessarily the same at city, county, and private levels. Thus as long as there's nothing saying "no metal detectors", then presto: there you go.

Not really to confusing really. I hunt Chippewa quite often.
State run parks are pretty much off limits. Any of the county or city parks are good to go.

I think what happened was that a couple years ago when all the Wisconsin waters/DNR land/Archie talk was in full swing... it was then that I started to think Wisconsin went full NAZI on detecting so I gave up searching for answers... It's good to know this isn't true! I visit WI quite often so I look forward to doing some hunting in the near future.

junkless

Nov 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Appleton has lots of history going back to fur trade. If I were you I'd check out some private property around the fox river. Especially like neenah menasha area. Otherwise there are plenty of farms dating back to mid 1800s in the area. East side of Winnebago wouldn't be a bad choice. Maybe find one of the older properties with lots of land near water. People have been in that area for a long time. Permission shouldn't be too hard with the farmers as long as you are respectful and maybe show them what you are doing.

Another good resource is the Wisconsin historical society website. Do an image search for Appleton and you find lots of old pictures. Might give you some ideas

DiggingwithBay

Tenderfoot
Jul 21, 2013
DangerDude- I'm looking to dig some areas outside of Madison so let me know the next time you go out. Always nice to hunt with someone.

Hodgie

Tenderfoot
Jul 24, 2013
Madison, WI.
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Ace 250
Tesoro Vaquero
White's Coin Getter
Garrett Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
New from Madison. Used to go to local parks with my dad in the 70's & 80's. Still have my fathers Whites Coin Getter. Also have a new Garrett Ace 250. If anyone has any ideas on where I could go it would be greatly appreciated. I need to learn more about the detector. A lot different from the Coin Getter.

Hodgie

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread