What to wear....

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So, what do you guys wear when you go digging?

I'm asking because I really haven't found anything that's "diggin' specific". I looked online to try to order like maybe some cargos with some padded knee areas but had no luck. The wife is tired of grass stained jeans lol!

Just thought I'd see what others are wearing?!?

Upvote 0

WVPapaw

Feb 22, 2013
Hills of WV
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, pro pointer, and two dowsing rods.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, what do you guys wear when you go digging?

I'm asking because I really haven't found anything that's "diggin' specific". I looked online to try to order like maybe some cargos with some padded knee areas but had no luck. The wife is tired of grass stained jeans lol!

Just thought I'd see what others are wearing?!?

I got a pair of knee pads from Walmart in garden section. They have soft plastic protectors on them which give additional cushion and stability and keep knees from gettin wet/muddy. They do make your knee sweat though. $8 was price if I remember correctly.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Depends on how hot it is. If its a scorcher, shorts and a plain white tee. That and my Minelab hat. Sunglasses too if it is a real blazer that day. I have some old sneakers I wear specifically when "playing in the dirt".

If it is cold out, I have a pair of old tattered Dickies I wear specifically for warmth and durability. That and a hooded fleece lined sweatshirt plus a coat if it is really chilly. I also only wear gloves when it is cold out.

duchess of digging

Apr 22, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
jeans..certain old well worn ones..dirty is good..gloves are a pain unless its cold..i like boots or sneaks or flip flops ..shoes depend on the conditions. i usually wear my carhartt jacket with lots of pockets..and im still in search of the right bag to carry while digging. im never wearing knee pads..i would rather get old and suffer.

artemis moon

Jun 1, 2007
Near Bangor, Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I usually wear camoflauge pants because grass stains don't show. I also wear this fantastic pouch that I found at Pro Bass Shops a while ago. I know that I look like a dork, but who am I trying to impress?

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm impressed! We do look kind of dorky all decked out in hunting swag! Especially water hunting with booties on, a pouch, and dragging a big scoop! LOL

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Last edited:

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wear either old jeans or cargo shorts. I don't wear knee pads they just irritate the back of my legs. I go as lite as possible. When I go out I am out for 3 to 6 hours so I try to be comfy. I expect to get dirty so i don't worry about grass stains especially since i wear old clothes.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grass?? green grass? Sheesh you are a spoiled plutocrat, kneeling on purty, cool, green grass. Here we use Cholla pads to kneel on, self adhesive, no binding straps to cut off circulation. and readily available at no expense.:dontknow::occasion14:

Don Jose de La Mancha

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wear Carharts with the built in knee pad slot, which I slide in a pair of soft knee pads. I AM an old fart and my knees hurt like hell, any kind of padding I can use is always appreciated. I think my next pair however will be Duluth with the knee pad slot.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually wear camo shorts with extra pockets on the legs,if I wear long pants(jeans),I (hate to say it) a fanny pack:laughing7:
is usually around my waist.I also have a Banana Republic vest with lots of pockets that comes in handy to.Try Sierra Trading Post - Great Deals. Great Brands.. for shorts and vests.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It isn't something you wear, but a towel or small piece of canvas carried with you is very valuable. I made mine large enough that I can kneel on it so this helps with the grass stains. It helps much to put the loose dirt from the hole on the towel. You can pour the dirt back into the hole, leaving no trace of your presence. I call my towel my "prayer rug", lol. I always pray for silver while I am kneeling on it!

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet

WVPapaw

Feb 22, 2013
Hills of WV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It isn't something you wear, but a towel or small piece of canvas carried with you is very valuable. I made mine large enough that I can kneel on it so this helps with the grass stains. It helps much to put the loose dirt from the hole on the towel. You can pour the dirt back into the hole, leaving no trace of your presence. I call my towel my "prayer rug", lol. I always pray for silver while I am kneeling on it!

I like that idea. I will have to try it. I wondered if a foam pad could work too, but I wouldn't want someone to think I am a sissy.

BadM0nkey

Apr 28, 2013
Andover, NJ
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE Limited Edition
Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like that idea. I will have to try it. I wondered if a foam pad could work too, but I wouldn't want someone to think I am a sissy.

You can get a garden kneeling pad really cheaply from any hardware or garden center. They work great if you dont mind carrying it around. I have one. I hate kneepads. The cloth idea is great.

JRMan

Mar 20, 2013
West Coast Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer,
White's Coinmaster 6000/Di Professional
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can get a garden kneeling pad really cheaply from any hardware or garden center. They work great if you dont mind carrying it around. I have one. I hate kneepads. The cloth idea is great.

After messing up my good pants several times with grass stains I knew I had to come up with something else. I found a garden pad at Target that has 1 1/2 inch of the foam. The type they use for good life jackets with a 1/4 inch layer of hard rubber on the bottom. It also has a slot/handle built in so you can carry it around. The dark green color hides it a bit and make me look less of a wimp. Not to mention, I have used it on the middle of the woods on rocks, sticks and sandspurs here in Florida. I have used it for about 50 hours and it still looks like new. Well worth the $14.95 price tag. Online looks to be a bit higher but worth every cent..

6-6-2013 3-04-14 PM.png

WVPapaw

Feb 22, 2013
Hills of WV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks for feedback.

bush13st_beav3r

Apr 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm naked right now, getting ready to swing my thing....err....detector....juuuuuuust kidding...if I did that the wife would be following me w a stick to keep the ravenous mob of women off me :)

Back in the real world tho.... I wear a cutoff shirt or t, w either jeans or cargo shorts depending on where I'm hunting... Gloves r a must wherever I may be....shoes w no metal toe or eyes...took them out of my sneakers, water shoes didn't have em at all.... Then I have my camo "treasure" bag and md carry bag I got w my atp, which r slung around my waist and on my back as I type and head to my hunting grounds... Have my hand shovel n my back pocket, spade in my bag, small towel in a bektloop like I'm still bartending, big towel n my md bag, xtra batteries, multimeter, pack of smokes, two lighters, pill bottle w cotton for good coins, grocery sack to hold all my great canslaw finds... Think that's it...oh yah....socks....gota wear socks...

Edit: ...when I go seeking perms....whoolllle nother story....I leave the gear at home and dress to impress.... Suit and tie sometimes, minus the jacket....hell, I even shave... I look official, like a referee w a whistle.. looking nice and clean and respectful has gotten me permission to dig on every site I want so far... Appearance goes a long way... I mainly make sure to hide my tattoos also so ppl don't judge me before they know me... Even though my only visible one is "the Beatles" drop t logo on my forearm

-beav3r

Last edited:

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:hello2:You know, you could buy that foam kneeling pad and sew it into one end of a towel and have the foam end to kneel on and the other end for depositing the dirt. Who wants to go into a partnership with me? We'll make a fortune on Sharktank, lol.

WVPapaw

Feb 22, 2013
Hills of WV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello2:You know, you could buy that foam kneeling pad and sew it into one end of a towel and have the foam end to kneel on and the other end for depositing the dirt. Who wants to go into a partnership with me? We'll make a fortune on Sharktank, lol.

Old Dude, that is a great idea. We could make a retracting belt hanger too so users wouldn't have to carry it in one hand. How about that?

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I believe we might be onto something!

Top Member Reactions