New member need help choosing 1st detector!!!

ENTHUSIAST

May 31, 2013
San Diego, CA
Detector(s) used
Looking for my 1st detector!!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My budget is under $500 I will be looking for coins and jewelry on the beach, local parks and maybe antique items out in some historical areas of town.

I heard good things about the Tesoro Vaquero and the Garret AT Pro are these the Ford vs. Chevy for the under $500 option ??

What is the BEST detector in my price range is there something else I should consider...?

Or do certain people like certain functions/brand features for specific detecting?

Thanks for helping the NEWBIE!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BadM0nkey

Apr 28, 2013
Andover, NJ
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE Limited Edition
Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

scarlett

May 28, 2013
Missouri - ~The Show Me State~
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just in the situation and ended up buying the AT Pro. I read articles and watched the videos and it seemed like a good starter detector PLUS it can be used in water up to 10ft deep. There are alot of swimming holes around here and later this summer we are going to the beach so being able to use it near and in water was a plus. Kellyco also has a BOGO so I was able to get a pinpointer at 1/2 price. The AT Pro also comes with extras such as a digger, knife, etc. Once i get them I can tell you what quality they are but I figure it will get me started and they can be upgraded later. It is supposed to be here Monday so I should be ready to go try it out immediately.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

ENTHUSIAST

May 31, 2013
San Diego, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Scarlett seems like the Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer and Lesche Digger are looking worth going a little over my budget for...

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you have the funds to do it, an F4, or X305, or Ace 350, with a Lesche and a pro- pointer is what I say go with- unless you are just planning on hunting wet sand. You might need an MD that's a little more specific to that app.

When I got into this I got 4 detectors so the whole family could hunt. Of course I spent this most money on my MD because I knew I'd be more serious about it. So I chose the F5- which I love. But there have been a few times while searching for small targets, I wished I'd gotten a Ace 350/ F4 and a pro pointer.

All the other members post are great on this thread- tons of good accurate info! You just have to pick what suits your needs. Good luck and let us know what you end up getting!

They have some vids on youtube comparing it to other pin pointers......it's ridiculous.... I mean the performance is not even close. Minelab makes a great pin pointer as well, they are in the same price range about $125-$130.

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Haha inserted that last paragraph in the wrong spot!!! Sorry! Lol

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its all gonna depend on what Type of hunting ur gonna wanna do look at the machines in ur price range that will perform to ur needs id try & stay with name brand whites,minelabe,garrett,tesoro,Fisher etc & stay away from those chinese one total junk.ones u can get or upgrade to different coils will only benefit u will give u more options on ur hunts everyone likes there brand u gotta c What works for, cuz it works for them may not for u

BadM0nkey

Apr 28, 2013
Andover, NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buy Made in the USA!

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For coins, jewelry, detecting the dry beach sand, and relic hunting an old farm stead or home site, I'd take my $500 and get a clean, like new White's M6 off fleabay.

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I admit I bought my first at kellyco. Most of the free stuff is...well you get what you pay for. I like the useful free stuff from BigBoysHobbies.

+ 1, ill buy from Bart next time.

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
+ 1, ill buy from Bart next time.

Me too. Honestly my kellyco experience was less than stellar and the free stuff they throw in could've been purchased at Walmart for about $20- They claim its worth hundreds, and if you purchased it all from them separately it would cost hundreds.
When I upgrade next (eyeing the T2 or F75) it will be from big boy hobbies. For now I'm loving the F5.

Digger92

Apr 11, 2013
Southern Colorado
Detector(s) used
Inherited 70s Garrett Fortune Hunter, Bounty Hunter Elite 2200, Fisher F5, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Recently buying a new detector, I would recommend also looking at MetalDetectingStuff.com. Ask for Wayne. They gave me a great deal and will have a lot of info on starting the hobby!

OP
OP
E

ENTHUSIAST

May 31, 2013
San Diego, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buy Made in the USA!

If I am dropping around $500 on ANYTHING it better not have a Made in China sticker on it or I would be cursing all the way to the Post Office to return it! :censored:

dirtwizard

Feb 19, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari/Fisher F2/Minelab go-find 40/Garrett pro point
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have made one order from kellyco and it will likely be my last. Found a deal they had for a propointer in a combo that came with their gator digger. The propointer was 127 alone and the combo was 137 with propointer, the gator and a sheath for it. I then found a 10 dollar off coupon code and used it to buy the combo essentially getting the gator for free. When the package arrived there was a propointer and a digger, but they stiffed me on the sheath. Felt like I was penalized for using a coupon code. 10 bucks off won't make or break me, but I would have liked to get the products I ordered as advertised. Not worth contacting them over, I'll just go with a company that makes things right on the first try.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
10 bucks off won't make or break me, but I would have liked to get the products I ordered as advertised. Not worth contacting them over, I'll just go with a company that makes things right on the first try.

All the more reason to do business with a local dealer.

BadM0nkey

Apr 28, 2013
Andover, NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All the more reason to do business with a local dealer.

Between gas and the nearly 10 percent tax, buying from a local dealer would cost me an additional $70. Sorry but I couldnt afford that.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Garrett At Pro Adventure package is a great value and has most of what you need. Add a Garrett Pro-pointer, and you are good to go. Call us if we can help, and be sure and mention you are from Treasurenet!

Wayne

(832) 928-9135

dirtwizard

Feb 19, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari/Fisher F2/Minelab go-find 40/Garrett pro point
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the closest place to me that sells anything detector related is cabelas and they have very little stocked, not a single digging tool or sand scoop. Just a handful of detectors. I went there for a sand scoop and left empty handed. Wasted 20 bucks in fuel as well as part of my day off when I could have been detecting. Easier to order exactly what I want from the web in my humble opinion.

Jdubya

May 19, 2005
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kellyco can beat any deal big boy can give you, Call me 888.535.5926 ext 172

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread